Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Me and the Porsche 911 Carrera wil never happen... ;)

Price increased 49 % over the last 26 years.

If in 1997, Porsche would have wanted 200.000 DM, people would have shown middle-finger!

One of my favorite 30s pics. Tourists visit my smalltown in 1939.
If some of them would still be alive, they would be around 130 years old.

Attachments

• IMGP7571.JPG
    IMGP7571.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 44
Besides, a wonderful thing:

I'm 38 and the "affective flattening" of aging is really good to me, turning arachnophobia more and more to ZERO, for example. And in Germany, you simply always have to make yourself clear, that any spiders don't want to hop on you or bite you.

Edward

Bartender
After a very heavy marking season and, unfortunately, having to deal with a couple of students who gave in to the temptation to cheat on assessments, I'm feeling a bit worn out. Last Saturday, I went to Dog Day Afternoon, a nine hour punk fest featuring a lot of old favourites (Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers, Generation Sex (members of Generation X and the Sex Pistols)). Blondie played second from top on the bill on Debbie Harry's 78th birthday - and she still looks fantastic. The band were great too, with ex-Pistol Glen Matlock guesting on bass this year. The headliner was Iggy Pop. 76, and as much of a wild man and physical performer as ever he was. He matched Blondie's 90 minutes, then came back on and did a half hour encore. No let up - the man hasn't dropped a beat since I first saw him twenty five years ago. Within twenty seconds of hitting the stage he was shirtless, and remained so til the end. The sort of rock and roll antics that on many aging performers come across as a bit sad, but in Pop's case really are just him being what he always was and remains. I'm pretty sure his DNA is about 47% lion. Jim Morrison was an early influence on his performance style - I'd put him somewhere directly in the continuum between Morrison at one end, and the Tasmanian devil at the other. After several months where staring down the barrel of fifty has been knawing at me more than I'd like to admit (knowing many of the men in my family, on both sides, haven't seen 70, or much North of it), Iggy and Debbie both up there giving it large and still credible was nothing short of inspiring.

Attachments

• 20230701_203957.jpg
    20230701_203957.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
German actor/singer Manfred Krug said the remarkable point on "beeing" old in an interview.

"One morning you're waking up and your body hurts and you think:
"Wait, where I got this ache from? Did I crick myself anywhere, have I laid down wrong? What did I do wrong??

NOPE, you did absolutely nothing wrong. You're old!
And this moment is like a punch in the face."

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Caffeine free ice coffee:

-2 piled spoons grain/cereal coffee
-1 tablespoon sugar
-milk from fridge
-maybe some addtional ice

I never did care for the taste of coffee. Remove the caffeine, and what's the point? ;) I do like a good energy drink. Though I miss good old Jolt Cola. That disappeared from uk shelves about thirty years ago, I suspect it probably was banned!

When you switch to wikipedia and you promptly forgot, what you wanted to type in...

Man, when I will overstep the 40, this will surely be much MORE FUN... :oops:
I attribute this phenomenon not entirely to creeping decrepitude. Too easy an access to information can trivialize information in general. It can become just so much clutter, such that a more important matter gets lost in the pile, if you let it.

Last edited:
German actor/singer Manfred Krug said the remarkable point on "beeing" old in an interview.

"One morning you're waking up and your body hurts and you think:
"Wait, where I got this ache from? Did I crick myself anywhere, have I laid down wrong? What did I do wrong??

NOPE, you did absolutely nothing wrong. You're old!
And this moment is like a punch in the face."
I went to bed Saturday night, slept well woke up with a nagging hurt in my shoulder area. Began to hurt so badly I had to resort to my stash of Oxy. Turns out (if the WebMD is to be trusted!!) I have a shoulder impingement. What did I do to cause this? Apparently I have lived too long.......somethings are just visited upon us....sneaking up in the night. Ice and Ibuprophen have knocked the pain down to manageable. The prognosis: it will either go away or it won't......cortisone injections or surgery are then on the docket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou