Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Remember the older "smelly" days, when old folks smeared themselves with tons of camphor/rheumatic salve, because there were not much alternatives?
The "racemic" camphor/rheuma salve is free available everywhere these days, but funnily, you don't smell it anywhere.
But I used it, years ago, when I had trouble with my knees in the wintertime. Yeah, strong smell, but not too bad as homeopathic choice, I would say. And free available.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I trimmed my beard this morning. It was overgrown bushy with a natural nautical look, yet hot in summer.
Now its cooler but my Norelco and scissors left a crabgrass yard so I'm debating whether to simply razor it off
completely. Or just leave well enough alone.

^^^^^
I learned,, way back in my bearded days, to use heavy equipment on that heavy timber. Scissors and electric razors just wouldn’t do. Electric clippers made much shorter work of it.

It’s been a few decades since I let it grow out. Where once it was various shades of reds and browns now it is mostly a dingy gray. So, thick and luxuriant and fast growing as it is, it just doesn’t look good anymore.

But I still use those proper barbering tools. When what’s left of the hair atop my head gets to a length where I might consider using a comb, I reach for the clippers and cut it all off, because it, too, is that lovely dishwater gray.

Is bearded your default mode? Or is it a sometimes kind of thing?

Last edited:
I trimmed my beard this morning. It was overgrown bushy with a natural nautical look, yet hot in summer.
Now its cooler but my Norelco and scissors left a crabgrass yard so I'm debating whether to simply razor it off
completely. Or just leave well enough alone.

The funny thing is, when you do total shave and the next days you apply a good (storebrand) "Med" cream with usual 5% Urea, you got the optical effect of making your skin 5 to 10 years younger, because it appears fresh and shiny.

Edward

Bartender
I attribute this phenomenon not entirely to creeping decrepitude. Too easy an access to information can trivialize information in general. It can become just so much clutter, such that a more important matter gets lost in the pile, if you let it.

That is an identified phenomenon. Since the university switched to online, open-book tests for Covid (and kept them post pandemic, because senior management can only see the money saved with no venue / invigilation / printing costs), I've notice how not all (and not the better ones, but) a significant proportion of students commit absolutely zip to memory, because they reckon they don't need to as they'll have it to hand in the assessment. These are not the students who do well.

I went to bed Saturday night, slept well woke up with a nagging hurt in my shoulder area. Began to hurt so badly I had to resort to my stash of Oxy. Turns out (if the WebMD is to be trusted!!) I have a shoulder impingement. What did I do to cause this? Apparently I have lived too long.......somethings are just visited upon us....sneaking up in the night. Ice and Ibuprophen have knocked the pain down to manageable. The prognosis: it will either go away or it won't......cortisone injections or surgery are then on the docket.

Always worth to try. Not the girl! :p

After the first three times, you'll love it!
Maximum three days in succession, then pause a while.

The limbering effect is pure gold, I tell you! I still remember my first try.

When the youngsters are doing reaction videos on Katy Perry as if this would be oldies...

OIP.YIXuv-x5HqTvm2GXL8G1ggHaF7

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Retirement has crept up on me, but I'm still young! Actually I caught my reflection in a full length mirror and thought: "What the hell happened?" There is one thing that old people do that, if you catch me doing, you have permission to have me put down. It's an absolute peeve of mine.

Why is it, in this day and age, with all the advances in modern communication, why is it that old people like to hold a meeting at the threshold of the supermarket entrance door? It's the busiest point of the shop, people coming and going all the time, yet there they stand together, putting the world to rights. It gets right up my nose. (It gets up the other end but you have to keep it clean.)

Why is it, in this day and age, with all the advances in modern communication, why is it that old people like to hold a meeting at the threshold of the supermarket entrance door? It's the busiest point of the shop, people coming and going all the time, yet there they stand together, putting the world to rights. It gets right up my nose. (It gets up the other end but you have to keep it clean.)

Call me racist, but to me these supermarket entrance people were always the ones, which don't know, what to do with themselves. The people with interests and hobbies wouldn't show up at these "standing crackerbarrels".

It seems to be the same phenomenon as with the teens lazing around in the shopping mall. No idea what to do with themselves.

Retirement has crept up on me, but I'm still young! Actually I caught my reflection in a full length mirror and thought: "What the hell happened?" There is one thing that old people do that, if you catch me doing, you have permission to have me put down. It's an absolute peeve of mine.

I shall guard against becoming a cranky old person who resents what his world has become and how he doesn’t fit it anymore. That seems to be at the heart of those too willing to impart the wisdom to their years upon whichever unfortunates happen to be within earshot. And if they’re blocking the entrance to the supermarket, well, hell, they’ve earned that right, right?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
And if they’re blocking the entrance to the supermarket, well, hell, they’ve earned that right, right?
Well Tony, I get your sentiment but cannot agree. Would you say that they have earned the right to drive at 20mph in the 40 zone? Some of them do, they seem oblivious of others, and of course, the danger that they are causing.

Well Tony, I get your sentiment but cannot agree. Would you say that they have earned the right to drive at 20mph in the 40 zone? Some of them do, they seem oblivious of others, and of course, the danger that they are causing.
I was being mildly sarcastic. I suppose I wasn’t making that clear enough.

The inclination is to give the elderly doorway blockers and slow drivers in the left lane (or right lane over your way) and the like the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to obliviousness. I suppose that’s so in many cases. But I strongly suspect that in many other cases they’re just being ornery. And entitled.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I can usually move around those kind...eventually. It's the checker and ""that customer " who strike up some Incessant conversation about the kids or world politics that drones on and on while the queue keeps getting longer and longer. More than once I have pushed my cart to the side and walked out of the store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou