Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

jp, had something more like this in mind.
image.jpg

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
True Fact -- in the Era, and in the years just before the Era, customers for hair dye were overwhelmingly male. It was very common for companies to fire male employees who began showing the slightest tinge of grey in order to replace them with younger, cheaper workers, and it was very common for middle-aged men to start slapping on the dye as soon as the grey hairs started to manifest. Home dye products such as Kolor-Bak were targeted primarily to a male clientele, and this went on well into the sixties and seventies with "Grecian Formula 16," which was basically Kolor-Bak in a fancier bottle.

I'd have never cut it. Those grey hairs started popping up in my early 20's. It's a genetic thing: neither of my grandfathers nor my dad went bald, and we all had/ have thick heads of hair - but the greying started early.

Photo is of me, last September, in Montreal.

13.jpg

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
True Fact -- in the Era, and in the years just before the Era, customers for hair dye were overwhelmingly male. It was very common for companies to fire male employees who began showing the slightest tinge of grey in order to replace them with younger, cheaper workers, and it was very common for middle-aged men to start slapping on the dye as soon as the grey hairs started to manifest. Home dye products such as Kolor-Bak were targeted primarily to a male clientele, and this went on well into the sixties and seventies with "Grecian Formula 16," which was basically Kolor-Bak in a fancier bottle.

You must know The Sin Of Harold Diddlebock (one of my favorite movies). In it Harold LLoyd plays a 45 year old office clerk fired after 22 years at the same company because he is old and inefficient. His boss points out that he is more humane than his father who fired everybody when they reached 50. Although as he was very near sighted they often came back to work as their own sons.

As he collects his pay Harold warns the bald accountant to buy a wig.

The movie was made in 1946. No doubt exaggerated for comic effect, but reflecting the customs of the times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1o2G8UeuYs

The firing scene starts at 13:30.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Now I know I'm not just getting old, but I have definitely got there. My left hip has been giving me some serious grief of late, I'll probably need a hip replacement some time soon. Hot baths are wonderfully soothing, but the difficulty of this therapy is, standing up to get out. There's a non slip rubber mat on the floor of the tub, a grab handle on each side, yet I still struggle.

Last night, after the resounding thump, as I had landed full square back on my buttocks, my wife rushed into the bathroom, she chided me for not calling her for help, gripped my elbow as I gripped her's and got me on my feet. Satisfied that I was ok, she left me to dry myself down, adding a throwaway comment as she left the bathroom. "You've got more hair on your butt than your head, these days."

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Now I know I'm not just getting old, but I have definitely got there. My left hip has been giving me some serious grief of late, I'll probably need a hip replacement some time soon. Hot baths are wonderfully soothing, but the difficulty of this therapy is, standing up to get out. There's a non slip rubber mat on the floor of the tub, a grab handle on each side, yet I still struggle.

Last night, after the resounding thump, as I had landed full square back on my buttocks, my wife rushed into the bathroom, she chided me for not calling her for help, gripped my elbow as I gripped her's and got me on my feet. Satisfied that I was ok, she left me to dry myself down, adding a throwaway comment as she left the bathroom. "You've got more hair on your butt than your head, these days."

I can tell you what helped me with similar problems in my knees and back. One was a book on posture by a guy named Egoscue and the other was SAM E. SAM E is a diet supplement that is the only thing known to regrow worn joints. Although vitamin c can help too.

The book was The Egoscue Method Of Health Through Motion
http://www.egoscue.com/

Last edited:
Been some interesting comments on hair. My earliest memories of my dad, and even older photos confirm it, that his hair was for many years all black. By the time I was five, he was well on his way to gray, and beginning to go bald. Before he was thirty, what hair he had? Was all gray, and by the time he was fifty, nearly bald except for the sides and back. Then he did something unusual. Didn't grow in new hair, but what he had started turning light brown.
Me? I started out a sort of "dishwater blond" that naturally streaked in the summer. I HATED IT! I threatened to dye it darker myself. I was often asked how I managed to get my hair done (it just did that all on its own). When I hit about thirty something, my hair got darker brown. I am 62 now, with mostly dark brown hair and just a touch of gray mostly on the temples. My two sons? The older one (37) is about half bald, the younger one (33) has more gray than I do.
For me, it is my knees, one hip, and both feet that tell me that I am getting old. Forty years of hard work catches up to you.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You must know The Sin Of Harold Diddlebock (one of my favorite movies). In it Harold LLoyd plays a 45 year old office clerk fired after 22 years at the same company because he is old and inefficient. His boss points out that he is more humane than his father who fired everybody when they reached 50. Although as he was very near sighted they often came back to work as their own sons.

As he collects his pay Harold warns the bald accountant to buy a wig.

The movie was made in 1946. No doubt exaggerated for comic effect, but reflecting the customs of the times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1o2G8UeuYs

The firing scene starts at 13:30.

Love that picture -- I'm a big fan of both Lloyd and Sturges, and it's a wonderful thing to see them combining efforts, and making a very pointed statement about the American cultural obsession with youth. I also often find myself saying "The earth has cooled considerably since..."

I'd have never cut it. Those grey hairs started popping up in my early 20's. It's a genetic thing: neither of my grandfathers nor my dad went bald, and we all had/ have thick heads of hair - but the greying started early.

Photo is of me, last September, in Montreal.

View attachment 28202

Gray hair is not a problem. You always have something to dye if you want to. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24