Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

I have a theory, since many years. I believe, the most people brick their teeths, with their more than one teeth-cleanings a day or even teeth-cleaning after every meal. I think, that's absolutely too much.
And when I'm cleaning the teeths at the morning, why should I clean them before going to bed, too?

I have had three cavities in my life - all before the age of 15. About 15 or so years ago (when I was in my late 30s), the dentist replaced the silver fillings with some sort of composite as the silver ones were breaking down.

Well, one of the composites is now breaking down as well and he says we should replace it. (And I'm sure the other two will go shortly as well as they were all replaced about the same time.)

Really? That means this will be the third filling I've had for the same cavity - that says you're old.
Three cavities. Pffft. At this point most of my teeth are posts and crowns instead of nerve pulp and enamel. I was mis-diagnosed as an epileptic well before the age of 10, and the medication (Dilantin) they gave me to control it did it's damage by the time I stopped taking it in my early-20s.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had fillings in my baby teeth, and had fillings in my adult molars within a few months of their coming in. Probably my habit of eating Tang powder out of the jar with a spoon had something to do with this.

They flouridated our water here starting in the '90s, and I haven't had more than two or three new cavities since then. But my old fillings are in pretty poor shape after almost fifty years, and occasionally they need to be reworked. The dentist who installed them was kind of an Army-surplus hack -- my current dentist, the first time she examined me, took one look and muttered under her breath "Hmph. Bunnell the Butcher."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
A young 2nd lieutenant rookie dentist did a poor job at cleaning teeth.
I got an infection & had to have a tooth extraction because of his sloppy job.

Another one kept shooting me with so many novacaine shots that for the
rest of the day afterwards.
I walked around like a refugee from the movie “Night of the Living Dead”. :(

I have gone years without a physical, have found some "less-expensive" ways to deal with medical issues, toughed things out without treatment or medicine, etc. but I have gone to first class dentists my entire adult life every six months and done whatever seemed necessary (which means spent a lot of money as dental work is silly expensive) even if it meant having to scrimp and save (which it has at times) as I want to keep my teeth for as long as I can.

I'll cut corners on medicine (and have), but not on dentistry. The funny thing is, growing up, dentist were sort of viewed as less important than doctors, but now dentists have, overall, an easy and more profitable profession as they get paid for what they do since there are very few "programs" for dental coverage and they simply operate like your dry cleaner - pay me and I'll clean your suit / pay me and I'll clean your teeth.

I've had very good luck with dentists over the years, except for one who was so bad that he single-handedly made up for the lack of bad dentists I had experienced. I only went to him because my abscessed tooth didn't make itself known to me until 7:30 p.m. and he was the only dentist within 20 miles who was still in the office. If I explained everything he did wrong it would take up about half of this page, but the fact that every bit of "work" he did had to be replaced by a proper dentist within three years should give you some idea about how bad he was. :mad:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Last time at the dentist, she gave me a tiny pill to calm me down.
I get super hyper & nervous when I have to go visit doctors for any
reason. (Bad experiences from the past)

She then had me sit in the waiting room for a few moments.
Next she told me to sit in the “chair”.
I held on to my car keys tight in the left palm to distract me from the
shots that I thought were coming soon.
Somehow I can endure the pain I create than if someone else
is producing it.

I closed my eyes.

I opened my eyes.

She smiled & said ...”ok, your done!”.

I never knew when I went out or how long I was out.
I never felt any pain at all, even afterwards.

She called it a “happy pill”.
And sure enough, I was happy that it went so smooth with
no problem or pain. :)

Last edited:
Is Cock Robin still so beloved in the US like in old Germany? :)

If I would have to choose real evergreen 80's AOR-sound, then Cock Robin!

30 years old, still so young. :):):)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Last time at the dentist, she gave me a tiny pill to calm me down.
To mis-quote Monty Python, "Always look on the bright side of life." If you need to see your dentist then you still have a head full of teeth. Most folks know that they are getting old when their teeth go out more often than they do.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
To mis-quote Monty Python, "Always look on the bright side of life." If you need to see your dentist then you still have a head full of teeth. Most folks know that they are getting old when their teeth go out more often than they do.

I don’t dwell for long on the negative.
When I see folks half my age and in poor health,
I'm grateful that I can still enjoy being active with sports.

I mentioned the dentist because of bad experiences from the past.
Similar to flying on airlines and my days in the military.
One of my uncles, a pilot for TWA always tried to convince me that
it is safer in the air than on the road.

But I still prefer to drive.

...One of my uncles, a pilot for TWA always tried to convince me that
it is safer in the air than on the road.

But I still prefer to drive.

A pilot friend of mine told me the same thing and showed me the statistics to support it. Great, now I still hate flying but, also, worry more in the car to the airport.

All the logic in the world isn't going to make me feel great about being in a big hunk of metal thousands of feet above the ground - Newton and his apple are always on my mind. Lift, velocity, etc. never seem as compelling as gravity.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
A pilot friend of mine told me the same thing and showed me the statistics to support it. Great, now I still hate flying but, also, worry more in the car to the airport.

All the logic in the world isn't going to make me feel great about being in a big hunk of metal thousands of feet above the ground - Newton and his apple are always on my mind. Lift, velocity, etc. never seem as compelling as gravity.

Probably for me was the fact that a B-52 bomber did not glide down
when engines went out from enemy or friendly fire.
But rather, would plummet down like a building and with bombs still in the fuselage
and wings and the only hope was that your parachute would open in time and you managed
to land safely before someone from below took a shot at you, or prayed that you landed
in one piece in a savage hot jungle with no medicine, food or worse,
no toilet paper.
loosing body control from fear or panic is something not shown in movies. :D

Would be nice if airlines provide parachutes, even if I don’t expect to get shot, I’d feel much better with one.

Last edited:

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
I've had very good luck with dentists over the years, except for one who was so bad that he single-handedly made up for the lack of bad dentists I had experienced. I only went to him because my abscessed tooth didn't make itself known to me until 7:30 p.m. and he was the only dentist within 20 miles who was still in the office. If I explained everything he did wrong it would take up about half of this page, but the fact that every bit of "work" he did had to be replaced by a proper dentist within three years should give you some idea about how bad he was. :mad:

Struth! Sounds like you had a terrible ordeal! :confused:

I don't fear flying at all. But I don't enjoy being aboard aircraft. Indeed, from the moment I take my seat I begin counting the minutes until I land and disembark. The older I get, the more uncomfortable I find it.

But I like getting somewhere in a few hours that would take a couple three or four long days behind the wheel. But if I have the time, I would rather drive. It's costlier than flying (gas, lodging, meals on the road, etc.), but I find it liberating to be out on the long and lonesome road, especially here in the wide open spaces of the West. I drink in the scenery, and I see with my own eyes that there are any number of other places I could be, if I so chose. This is among the things for which I consider myself fortunate, this being alive in this age of the automobile and the roadside motel and cafe. I suspect that future generations will look back at these times in much the way we look upon the world of Grandpa's youth.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't fear flying at all. But I don't enjoy being aboard aircraft. Indeed, from the moment I take my seat I begin counting the minutes until I land and disembark. The older I get, the more uncomfortable I find it.

Pretty much my own view. I worked for a while in a meat processing plant, and the similarity of that to the modern airport/flying experience is a little too close for my taste.

My mother is 77 years old and has never flown in her life. "Don't intend to start, either," is her oft-expressed point of view.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
....I find it liberating to be out on the long and lonesome road, especially here in the wide open spaces of the West. I drink in the scenery, and I see with my own eyes that there are any number of other places I could be, if I so chose. This is among the things for which I consider myself fortunate, this being alive in this age of the automobile and the roadside motel and cafe. I suspect that future generations will look back at these times in much the way we look upon the world of Grandpa's youth.

Nothing beats the open road country drive early in the morning
or when the sun is coming down.
I’m fortunate to have many back roads to get to where I want to travel.
There’s still small towns in between to stop for a meal at local diners or stop on
the side road and fix my own lunch.
The mild winters is one reason I can enjoy driving to many spots.
When I go on a vacation trip, half the fun is stopping whenever the mood hits to enjoy things.
Instead of driving the fast super highways in a hurry to get to the destination.

Future generations might not have the open country roads .
I’m starting to be aware of some areas where it’s all housing from one city
to the next.

If this is progress...they can keep it! ;)

Last edited:

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
At jump school at Ft. Benning I made my five qualifying jumps from a C-119. This was the descendant of the "flying boxcar" of WWII. It was rumored to be the only military aircraft that flew by flapping its wings. We were told that it was used for the qualifying jumps because it was the one aircraft that almost anyone would rather jump out of it than stay in any longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy