Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A very Merry Christmas of sorts, Robert, with a win like that!

Glad to hear Ms. Tina is on the mend.
Grateful thanks Randy, what Tina's heart is doing, is beating an incorrect rhythm. she will need a procedure known as an ablation. A doctor puts catheters (thin hollow tubes) into a blood vessel in the groin and threads it up to give access to the inside of the heart, so that doctor can correct the heartbeat rhythm.

It's a worry but I feel confident that Tina will pull through. One of her pleasures whilst recovering, has been to read the postings here on TFL. Our thanks again to you and everyone else's good wishes, it means a lot.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
All the best. The world just can't do without more of those fantastic Hawaiian shirts!

I had a similar procedure about twenty years back. The procedure was uneventful but in recovery, sitting with my leg immobilized for some number of hours to allow the puncture in the artery to heal, was a challenge for someone who can't sit still for more than 10 minutes at a time! Be sure she has some reading material to help occupy her time.

Grateful thanks Randy, what Tina's heart is doing, is beating an incorrect rhythm. she will need a procedure known as an ablation. A doctor puts catheters (thin hollow tubes) into a blood vessel in the groin and threads it up to give access to the inside of the heart, so that doctor can correct the heartbeat rhythm.

It's a worry but I feel confident that Tina will pull through. One of her pleasures whilst recovering, has been to read the postings here on TFL. Our thanks again to you and everyone else's good wishes, it means a lot.

Last edited:

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Being confined to barracks in order to nurse my poorly wife, I have spent some free time perusing the racing form. Some time a year or so back I read about a horse that sold for just £800 as a two year old and had amassed winnings of over half a million. That horse was called Hewick and had been entered into The King George Stakes. It had to be worth a few shekels. First past the line at twelve to one, thank you very much.
All the best to your lady GHT. She will be back on the dance floor with you in no time.
Hewick proved naysayers wrong. And tell your misssus for me she should market those Hawaiians out.
Season's.:)

I’ve had a couple of ablations. The procedure ain’t exactly a walk in the park, but it’s not all that bad, either, and kind of interesting in its way. It’s certainly uncomfortable, but not worse than most dental procedures. Such is my experience, anyway.

I’ve established a rapport with my electrophysiologist. He’s not only quite highly regarded among his professional colleagues, his patients uniformly praise his demeanor.

Here’s hoping everything goes smoothly for your lovely missus. I’d bet it will. This stuff is pretty much routine these days, but it certainly doesn’t seem that when you or one of yours is the patient.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I’ve had a couple of ablations. The procedure ain’t exactly a walk in the park, but it’s not all that bad, either, and kind of interesting in its way. It’s certainly uncomfortable, but not worse than most dental procedures. Such is my experience, anyway.

I’ve established a rapport with my electrophysiologist. He’s not only quite highly regarded among his professional colleagues, his patients uniformly praise his demeanor.

Here’s hoping everything goes smoothly for your lovely missus. I’d bet it will. This stuff is pretty much routine these days, but it certainly doesn’t seem that when you or one of yours is the patient.
Thank you Tony, much appreciated, it's helpful knowing how both you and Randy have dealt with the procedure. Getting back on track about the thread title, visiting Tina in hospital, she was sitting up in bed, seeing the concern on my furrowed brow she quipped: "Can't blame the Christmas mail!" Then she laughed at my perplexed expression.

Years ago, postage stamps had to be licked before sticking them to the envelope, it was how the adhesive was designed. Back then, with a pile of Christmas cards to send, we used a saucer with a small drop of water instead of licking the back of the stamps. As Tina said, "the taste is disgusting," I remember that, now that is definitely a "you know you are getting old" reminisce.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Probably why someone came up with those little ever-wet sponge pads!

Years ago, postage stamps had to be licked before sticking them to the envelope, it was how the adhesive was designed. Back then, with a pile of Christmas cards to send, we used a saucer with a small drop of water instead of licking the back of the stamps. As Tina said, "the taste is disgusting," I remember that, now that is definitely a "you know you are getting old" reminisce.

Time is running...

January 2024.
You know, I discovered my favorite german culture radio channel in January 2010.

14 years, man! Since 14 years, they are also part of my family. And I will enjoy this as much as possible, then there will of course be a time, when the pool of my beloved moderators will finally change.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Torvill & Dean.jpg torvill & dean much younger.jpg
You are definitely getting old if you can name these two. Here's a clue:

T & D.jpeg
And if you are lucky enough to be too young to remember, they scored "the Perfect" score 40 years ago at the Olympics.

Another good one!

When you're 39 and you know exactly, WHY it's still popular among the middle-aged and older, here in old Germany. And especially for East-Germans, it was surely one of the desired symbols of pulsating West.

Back, when 21 was reaching full legal age (BRD early 70s).

Attachments

• IMGP7621.JPG
    IMGP7621.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 26
^^^^^^
I admit to not understanding this post. Was this stuff not widely available back in the bad old days, before the wall came down? Or is it used as a “personal lubricant” or something along those lines?

Is, or was, “the West” commonly perceived as “pulsating” over your way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner