Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Realise Christmas Is Approaching When …

3fingers

One Too Many
Anyone else here walked down a WallyWorld Halloween aisle during the first week of Oct and have Christmas carols playing over the loudspeaker? I rest my case!!!!!
I was in our local branch of the evil empire a few days ago trying to find a sack of dog food. The Halloween decorations are already pushed into a very small area and the entire garden center plus a few aisles close by have been changed over to Christmas.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You realize Christmas is approaching when....
B7F29C4D-111C-4DF7-984F-D83BD34C7BAC.jpeg

You see Santy arriving by boat.
9FFA2DCE-586F-4131-847E-9920CC2957D8.jpeg

And a Christmas lobster trap tree is lit with a huge fiberglass lobster on top. ;)

Last edited:
I was in our local branch of the evil empire a few days ago trying to find a sack of dog food. The Halloween decorations are already pushed into a very small area and the entire garden center plus a few aisles close by have been changed over to Christmas.
My wife and I were forced to share space with the local variety of Walmartians two or three nights ago. I can't say I performed a thorough reconnaissance mission, but we did see a sizeable Halloween section and can't recall seeing any Christmas goods. I'm sure they're just trying to wring as much money as they can out of this holiday before moving on to the next, but I was a little surprised; usually they're competing side-by-side like two bulls fighting over a prize heifer. :rolleyes:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Portable Christmas music to get one into the Holiday spirit while doing the dinner preparation during the 1950s.
db7da1452c6bbb6b2d4056ebd94ff6eb.jpg

Here's how they did portable music back in old-timey days.
This housewife looks absolutely delighted to be partaking
in some Christmas music with the Pandora of the day.

Imagine a time when you actually had to put your stereo
system on a cart in order to listen to music while in the
kitchen while holding a roast dinner.

Around this time, portable battery-operated reel-to-reel tape recorders were introduced to the public - but were a bit pricey. Cassette decks were introduced in the 60s for home use - and became the portable music of choice for those making Christmas dinner.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Portable Christmas music to get one into the Holiday spirit while doing the dinner preparation during the 1950s.
View attachment 139085
Here's how they did portable music back in old-timey days.
This housewife looks absolutely delighted to be partaking
in some Christmas music with the Pandora of the day.

Imagine a time when you actually had to put your stereo
system on a cart in order to listen to music while in the
kitchen while holding a roast dinner.

Around this time, portable battery-operated reel-to-reel tape recorders were introduced to the public - but were a bit pricey. Cassette decks were introduced in the 60s for home use - and became the portable music of choice for those making Christmas dinner.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Note that none of the components are hooked up. That keen Hi-Fi is mute.

They did things better in the 1930s.

radio18.jpg

Actually, very much better. In addition to the Ivory, white or pastel midget and cigar box sets in painted wood or Bakelite or Plaskon or Catalin which practically every manufacturer targeted at the kitchen market, in the latter half of the decade Crosley offered a line of Shelvador refrigerators with built-in radio sets:

6454791587_32a5dffb47.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Growing up, we only had one small electric radio which sat atop the icebox
in the kitchen.
IMG_3047.jpg

Folks did not allow hot music in the house.
I relied on a transistor radio to listen to Chuck Berry or Fats Domino
after school.
Around November, Christmas ads or jingles would begin.
Luckily, there were two stations that played my heathen music. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner