Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young hatter in need of guidance.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
So, I purchased my first fedora about 3 years ago in a store called "New Yorker" when I was living in Germany. It was a cheap black cotton one, cost €15 (and still one of my favorites), but then I just started getting more! They suit me, I sing jazz music (Sinatra all the way!). Now just a couple of months I bought two "nice" fedoras, over $40, at www.villagehatshop.com
My problem, I have 17 fedoras! And I've got a taste of good fedoras and i want more, but I want to start getting into some antique/vintage. Anything I should be cautious about? Any experiences anyone can share? Are there guide lines i should follow before I just go spend money.

BTW I'm about to be a freshmen in college. I think I have an addiction. lol

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Save up and invest in a nice fur felt hat, I would recommend an Akubra, a brand with which I have personal experience with, others may be able to chime in about other brands.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
jlee562 said:
Save up and invest in a nice fur felt hat, I would recommend an Akubra, a brand with which I have personal experience with, others may be able to chime in about other brands.
Nice looking hats, just a little bit too western/outback for my taste. Of course, I was just looking at their current styles. I'll do some more research. Thanks!:D
lol, never mind found them in my style! :D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, 2many'.

I say follow your instincts about getting into vintage fedoras. As a size 7-7-1/8 you should be able to do well price-wise on Ebay.

I believe others when they relate the virtues of modern makes, but I wouldn't trade one of my '40s Stetsons for all of the Akubras in the world. :)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Gene is right on the money. 7 to 7 1/8 quality hats are abundant on the bay. I suggest you go 7 1/8 as you can always pad a bit. A nice Champ, Portis, Stetson, Mallory, Dobbs and even the coveted Borsalino can be had for much less $ with better quality. Check out the ebay win threads and look at the descriptions when they post the ebay page. You won't go in to the process unarmed. Enjoy the ride and happy hunting.
Tom D.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
In retrospect, I would now probably caution people to stay away from the 1960's short brimmed and heavily tapered fur felts on eBay. Although it is exciting to fish that first one out of the bay for cheap, I find that as my personal tastes have matured in hat collecting; that I wear those ones less and less. And they seem to have a lower resale value on this forum than other styles. Looking back, I wish I would have held back from the three or four stingy tapers I hastily bid on, and saved up for a good 30', 40's, or even 50's high crowned, and slightly wider brimmed hats. Of course, your tastes may vary from mine, but if you intend on sticking around in the Lounge, your preferences will most likely eventually shift towards the 'Golden Era' proportions. [huh]

EDIT: 800th post! :eek: I'm here way too much!

And welcome, by the way!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge!

I'm going to just echo what some of the others have said. Wool felts make decent starters, but they're just not the same as fur felts. At 7 or 7 1/8, you ought to do OK on ebay.

Happy Hunting!

cptjeff

Practically Family
fluteplayer07 said:
In retrospect, I would now probably caution people to stay away from the 1960's short brimmed and heavily tapered fur felts on eBay. Although it is exciting to fish that first one out of the bay for cheap, I find that as my personal tastes have matured in hat collecting; that I wear those ones less and less. And they seem to have a lower resale value on this forum than other styles. Looking back, I wish I would have held back from the three or four stingy tapers I hastily bid on, and saved up for a good 30', 40's, or even 50's high crowned, and slightly wider brimmed hats. Of course, your tastes may vary from mine, but if you intend on sticking around in the Lounge, your preferences will most likely eventually shift towards the 'Golden Era' proportions. [huh]

EDIT: 800th post! :eek: I'm here way too much!

And welcome, by the way!

Fair enough for some, but there are some of us for whom those simply look like too much hat. I would look very, very stupid in a high, straight crown. I'm short, needing a shorter crown, and have a somewhat narrow face, meaning I need taper. Those 60's hats are more or less perfect for my face and build, though I can still appreciate the 40's era proportions.

To the OP: look around for a piece called "The art of fitting faces". It can be found in a few places around the web, and it gives you an idea of the proportions that will suit your face best.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
St.Ignatz said:
Gene is right on the money. 7 to 7 1/8 quality hats are abundant on the bay. I suggest you go 7 1/8 as you can always pad a bit. A nice Champ, Portis, Stetson, Mallory, Dobbs and even the coveted Borsalino can be had for much less $ with better quality. Check out the ebay win threads and look at the descriptions when they post the ebay page. You won't go in to the process unarmed. Enjoy the ride and happy hunting.
Tom D.

A 7 5/8" hat wearer cries alone in shame. :(

As the guys have stated there are tons of vintage hats in your size on ebay. If you want a nice light hat for the warmer months look for a Royal Stetson Playboy. I've seen a few in your size.

If you go new Akubra is the way to go. They are tough as nails and a few styles are as close to vintage as you will find new outside of a custom job. They are a hat you can keep for the long haul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner