Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your alter Golden-age ego?

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I'd like to say Kate Hepburn-- cool as a cucumber and smooth, with a good but of sass-- but in reality, I'm Maureen O'Hara in anything she did with John Wayne-- quick to temper, very jealous, quick to cry, and hot-to-cold on a moments notice.

Foofoogal

Banned
Definitely see myself as Scarlett Ohara in Gone With the Wind. :p
(Rhett to Scarlett:You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.)

I have a story about the true John Wayne. I know he was great but he did have his faults.
My father during WW11 was with Navy Seabees. Somewhere along the way John Wayne came to visit the troops. My dad said John was so drunk he fell off the dock. From that day on my dad could not stand the man. I am not sure what else happened but it turned out to not be a good day for the troops. [huh]

Yeah, the Duke's debacle during WWII was something he never forgave himself for, and understandably so that he did not.

However, much as I wish I could fill the role of Mr. Morrison's on-screen personas opposite a previous poster's Maureen O'Hara, I actually have to go a bit more vintage than the Golden Era with one Dr. John Holliday (albeit without the death-wish), although I suppose a mix of Mac and Mencken could be argued. (There've been too many other influences in putting my head back together for a straight "MacArthur Redux"... and it's probably a good thing.:eek: lol )

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Roscoe Turner

TurnerSchwamm.jpg

-dixon 'Gilmore' cannon

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Oh heavenly day, This one could take a little thought. I'd like to imagine someone glamorous but what really came to mind was somewhere between Molly McGee and Ma Kettle.

Diamondback said:
Yeah, the Duke's debacle during WWII was something he never forgave himself for, and understandably so that he did not.

However, much as I wish I could fill the role of Mr. Morrison's on-screen personas opposite a previous poster's Maureen O'Hara, I actually have to go a bit more vintage than the Golden Era with one Dr. John Holliday (albeit without the death-wish), although I suppose a mix of Mac and Mencken could be argued. (There've been too many other influences in putting my head back together for a straight "MacArthur Redux"... and it's probably a good thing.:eek: lol )

He was still the Duke and still a decent golden age alter ego for me. Just because you make mistakes doesn't mean you are a a lousy person it just means you are human---especially if you understand that you have done wrong and take ownership for it. It makes you an even better alter ego. ;)

jamespowers said:
He was still the Duke and still a decent golden age alter ego for me. Just because you make mistakes doesn't mean you are a a lousy person it just means you are human---especially if you understand that you have done wrong and take ownership for it. It makes you an even better alter ego. ;)
This is actually why I respect him--he had his "come to Jesus" (or whatever equivalent expression the reader's belief-system of choice has) moment, acknowledged he had done wrong and while he couldn't directly make it right he did try to offset the effects of his prior misjudgment. I was just saying that one could understand why he had a conscience problem and put so much effort into encouraging later generations not to repeat his mistake.

My comment was from knowing that his characters are a standard that no matter how I try I'll probably never measure up to--so maybe Jeff Cooper (WWII Marine Lt. Colonel, adventure and pioneering handgun-tactics scholar for those not In The Know) would be a better aimpoint: "Ride, Shoot Straight, Speak the Truth" is a fairly simple benchmark.

Diamondback said:
My comment was from knowing that his characters are a standard that no matter how I try I'll probably never measure up to

I suppose trying for the easy out would not be much of an accomplishment someone mentioned : "not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." ;) :p

I said Cooper's way was "simple", not that it was "easy"--being a straight shooter (in the figurative, "character" sense; I believe that's the part he really meant rather than just "firearms proficiency") is no easy task, especially when one's nature is in the opposite direction, wouldn't you agree?

Besides, I'm not up for wearing a corset and elevator-shoes...:D if I need the extra height, I'll just have new limbs grafted on.:eek:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I really cannot say, no one has ever compared me with anyone from the Golden Era, thus I do not know.

Someone get to know me quick!

Diamondback said:
I said Cooper's way was "simple", not that it was "easy"--being a straight shooter (in the figurative, "character" sense; I believe that's the part he really meant rather than just "firearms proficiency") is no easy task, especially when one's nature is in the opposite direction, wouldn't you agree?

Besides, I'm not up for wearing a corset and elevator-shoes...:D if I need the extra height, I'll just have new limbs grafted on.:eek:

I know. I was just using Kennedy to inspire you. ;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner