Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Average Dimensions. Let's Compare

KatintheHat

Suspended
:D I'm talking hats here.

All my hat's crowns average about 4 1/2" at the pinch, and 4" in the back.

My favorite brims are 2 3/4" to 3".

no appendages need apply.;)

Justdog

Practically Family
Dimensions

Western can go 4 inches brim and 5-5 1/2 crown.
Fedora 2 1/2 Brim 4 41/2 in. Definitely like high crown at this time.
Western like the unbound brim the most right now with a saucer shape.
Bound brims make the hat look smaller to me.
Finished brim for dress look though.
Have brims from 2 -31/2 currently in different styles.
Wide ribbon on classic fedoras thin on westerns
Hats are great and versatile as they change with the mood and taste of style.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Crown about 5" at the front or slightly taller and brim between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2. I have acouple hats with lower crowns, but they don't make it into the rotation anymore. I'm 5' 10"

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have a healthy variation across the board, but I suppose the average is about a 4 1/2" bashed crown with 2 5/8" brims being most numerous. My pre-blocked/bashed lids tend to be lower crowned, I notice, while those I bash myself are higher.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not-Bogart13 said:
I have a healthy variation across the board, but I suppose the average is about a 4 1/2" bashed crown with 2 5/8" brims being most numerous. My pre-blocked/bashed lids tend to be lower crowned, I notice, while those I bash myself are higher.
I like your new Avatar NB.....:eusa_clap

mineral

One of the Regulars
I know this might sound like a very odd request, but would those of you who post crown heights also post how tall you are? I had been thinking of how much of crown height I ought to use on my hats, and I would like to see what kind of ratios of crown heights to physical heights you all use to gain some inspiration.

MattJH

One Too Many
I'm 5'11" and 160lbs. I've found that 5.5" crowns and 2 1/4" brims work the best on me.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
bolthead said:
I like your new Avatar NB.....:eusa_clap

Thank you Bolt. I must compliment you on that bold lid of yours, as well.

Mineral; I'm about 5' 9", but crown height should be determined largely by head shape. I mean, if your unusually tall or short, it's obviously a factor. But as a general guideline, a person's ideal crown height should be roughly equal to how long his visible face is while the hat is on. It's an estimate, and exceptions do occur, but it's a good starting place for most people.

Dewhurst

Practically Family

Most of my fedoras are about 4 inches to 4 1/2 inches crown height. I have one or two which have a slightly lower crown.

The brims vary, usually being 2 inches to 2 5/8.

I am 5' 9".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner