Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your comments on other forums

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I have joined both Style Forum and Ask Andy About Clothes. They have many more postings than here but they don't seem to have the sense of community that we do here. Many of the posts are really rude and mean spirited arguments seem to break out (I know cause I got into one of them!).

Who reads/posts to what and what do think of other forums about clothes?

Do you prefer Style to Ask Andy or London Lounge?

Thanks!

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Not exactly a clothes forum, but I briefly joined the badgerandblade.com shaving forum on the advice of one of the members here. Got into a mean sprited argument with some jerk and just said the heck with it and left. I like the sense of community and the manners of the typical FL poster.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Brian Sheridan said:
Many of the posts are really rude...

I agree...the civility here is what sets the Lounge apart from many (dare I say...most) other forums. I've never been afraid to ask a stupid question here (as many of my posts will attest), but this is not so elsewhere.

As an aside, I am somewhat amused by some of our members who I first came to know from their bashing the Lounge on the other forums as being a community of eccentrics. In the end, they wise up and realize that this is the place to come and learn. And, in true Lounge fashion, they are welcomed with open arms. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I used to post on a dance forum (won't mention any names). Much of the content had nothing to do with dancing: lots of political rants, occasional flaming (even against the webmaster--I'd have shown that member the door) and a few people who tended to see sex in everything.

There were some cool people on the site, though, and I kept coming back until I made a comment that ended up with three pages of posts of people flaming me. At least, I assume they were flaming--I've got better things to do than read junk like that.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I will keep this commentary moderate; I was a long-time visitor and annual contributor to a forum specializing in Fender musical instruments. However, although the forum was theoretically apolitical, there was a definite right-wing ethos coupled with an administrative intolerance of any comments counter to that ethos. Last winter I made an injudicious comment about a conservative radio program and was immediately banned from the forum with no warning or notice. I have visited the forum since and note that the forum owner has become increasingly vocal, and increasingly rude and intolerant of comments he disagrees with. I suspect that unless he realizes the change in his behavior and backs off, the forum (which is an excellent source of information) will die off.

In contrast, I consider MK's restraint and presence in this forum both classy and appropriate. Also, the bartenders here have seen fit to remove a post or two of mine - no argument here - without finding it necessary to banish me to the outer reaches of the web. Full marks to them.

In regard to the other forum, I'm quite happy to no longer be a member. It's just the reverse of Groucho Marx's comment...I'm not interested in being a member even if they'd have me.

Posted by Johnnysan:
As an aside, I am somewhat amused by some of our members who I first came to know from their bashing the Lounge on the other forums as being a community of eccentrics.

I don't even have to know them from the other sites. I can tell from the tone of one or two of their posts that they came over from SF or LL.

Not to bash those guys, but, yeah, while they do think we are a community of eccentrics, what they don't understand is that we like living in that community. I find that American Trad/Saville Row stuff rather dull for the most part. It's for fitting in to whatever's left of that 'old boy' mentality, and it's definitely not about individuality. I guess you could call those guys 'suits' while, for the most part, we're just a bunch of yobs who happen to like nice suits.

Regards,

Senator Jack: A Quinn Martin Production

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Johnnysan said:
As an aside, I am somewhat amused by some of our members who I first came to know from their bashing the Lounge on the other forums
I've noticed this as well. I referred someone to the FL and he shot back that the lounge was run by Nazis because he couldn't satisfy the FL registration (e-mail, ISP) policy. Well, he must have straightened out the problem because he's now quite the prolific poster. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats