Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Film Costumes

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Tourbillion said:
:eek:fftopic:

Yes, in China they do it. I understand it is really painful. I wouldn't want to do that unless my legs were really unevenly matched, but then I am 6 feet tall already.

Back on topic: I am enjoying the costumes. :)

:eek:fftopic: They will also do it on occasion for someone with dwarfism (or whatever the correct term is, sorry) or to correct congenital deformities. They basically, IIRC, cut the bones, put a brace on and as the body works to re-grow the bone tissue, slowly keep moving the pieces further and further apart, essentially forcing the limbs to grow. Time-consuming and quite painful, from what I understand. Incidentally, they can actually shorten limbs as well. </offtopic>

Back on-topic, this has always, always, always been one of my favorite gowns.

future_crosby_clooney.jpg

*drools*

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
I've been watching alot of Gloria Grahame movies lately and her style is amazing. Very film nior but very lovely.

Also, MM's white dress from There's no business like show business.:)

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Yay, another Gloria fan! She's my favorite actress, and I love the outfits she wore in her movies. I don't even want to think about what I'd be willing to do for that fur-trimmed robe she wears for In a Lonely Place, and her wardrobe in The Bad & the Beautiful makes me weak in the knees!

cecil

A-List Customer
This one doesn't look that great here but anyone who has seen the film will know what I'm talking about!

rogg021.jpg

Same again for this one:

rogg020.jpg

Oh, Adrian. Oh, Katharine. Sigh....
03-02_full.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I know :D I bet I could repeat every line from The Philadelphia Story word for word...

Kate Hepburn reportedly chose Adrian for that film because he would dress her in feminine clothes, unlike the usual jeans and slouchy shirts she loved to wear. I like his designs because he is feminine but not fussy.

Perfect for Garbo...
Garbo-Adrian-01.jpg

cecil

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
I know :D I bet I could repeat every line from The Philadelphia Story word for word...

Kate Hepburn reportedly chose Adrian for that film because he would dress her in feminine clothes, unlike the usual jeans and slouchy shirts she loved to wear. I like his designs because he is feminine but not fussy.

Yes!! How great is that wrap cover-up that she has for swimming? Perfection! It took me a couple of rewinds to see that it was asymmetrical. Absolutely beautiful.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Sometimes I get tunnel vision when faced w/ Edith Head's creations...she's my absolute favorite. But recently, I was watching The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) and really noticed Doris Day's dress when they go to dinner in Morocco. It's sleeveless, a muted blue floral, w/ stunning details in the tailoring. I hurried to find out the name of the designer...Edith Head. lol

Of course...:)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
This thread has reminded me of some fabu films and costumes. :) But before I read through it, the first films that came to mind for me were "The Women", "His Girl Friday", and "Sirens."

Christy

One of the Regulars
*Schatzi* said:
Ok so this isn't a costume per say. It's a pair of shoes and I don't believe they were in a movie....buuuut they were worn many times for many different photo shoots. They were Marilyn Monroe's clear platform shoes. She loved these shoes and she could swap out the ribbon for a different colour to match whatever she was wearing (she wore these with swimsuits). I have wanted a pair for years and hoped someone somewhere made a repro version.

Sorry I am in love with these shoes. So vintage, so versatile, so cute!!

I'm pretty positive she wore them in How to Marry a Millionaire during the fashion show scene when she wore the red swimsuit. Actually, I think that photo of her in the red swimsuit is a promotional photo for the movie. I agree, those shoes are fabulous!

SayCici said:
Simple, but one of Marilyn's suits from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes -
Annex-MonroeMarilynGentlemenPreferB.jpg

I'm crazy over that neckline, and the big collar. I'd rather look at the 'simpler' everyday outfits than the glamorous ones any day!

That suit was one of the first outfits that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread, I love it! I also really loved her evening dress she wore, the orange one. I thought the color was kind of unique.
Gentlemen_Prefer_Blondes_Movie_Trailer_Screenshot_(14).jpg

I'm actually drawing a blank on other outfits I like, but I think all of the ones mentioned are wonderful! They're all so amazing.

Oh and on the height topic, I'm 5'8 and I definitely feel tall, especially when I wear heels. The other thing is my fiance is only 5'4 so I'm already taller than him. I end up towering over him with heels on, but he says he doesn't mind because he knows I like to wear heels.

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
I just love the dresses Betty Grable wears in Moon over Miami.My favourite is a dress which has butterflys on it. She wears a matching butterfly in her hair. They are all gorgeous outifits, even though she wears a dress that has fur trim when she first arrives to sunny Miami??

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Christy said:
I'm pretty positive she wore them in How to Marry a Millionaire during the fashion show scene when she wore the red swimsuit. Actually, I think that photo of her in the red swimsuit is a promotional photo for the movie. I agree, those shoes are fabulous!

Oh and on the height topic, I'm 5'8 and I definitely feel tall, especially when I wear heels. The other thing is my fiance is only 5'4 so I'm already taller than him. I end up towering over him with heels on, but he says he doesn't mind because he knows I like to wear heels.

That would make sense! I have never seen the whole movie. Now I have to! I have been looking for a repro version of those shoes for years. No luck. :( And on the height topic, I am also 5'8". There are a lot of us tall girls here. Makes me feel better. I love wearing heels. I had a boyfriend once that didn't like when I wore heels because I was taller than is 5'11". So, when we broke up I bought the tallest pair of 40's style platform shoes. They are still my favourite pair of shoes.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I am absolutely obsessed with the red dress that Shoshanna, the heroine of Tarantino's new "Inglourious Basterds" wears for the denouement of the film.

I can't find any great photos, but it's a start
MV5BMTUxOTA3NzMxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDM0OTY3Mg@@._V1._SX512_SY400_.jpg

MV5BMjE1NzQzOTUyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQ0OTY3Mg@@._V1._SX600_SY400_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner