Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

Just piggybacking 2jakes, but Vivien Leigh delivers the "Fiddle-dee-dee" line with such perfect inflection and insouciance that it doesn't sound silly or forced - not easy to do with a such a nonsense line (to a modern ear).

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Just piggybacking 2jakes, but Vivien Leigh delivers the "Fiddle-dee-dee" line with perfect inflection and insouciance so that it doesn't sound silly or forced - not easy to do with a such a nonsense line (to a modern ear).

akg0lh.jpg

Being of English origin, Leigh didn’t change her accent when she gave her first informal reading.
As a popular actress of the London stage, Leigh was accustomed to clear projection and regal
pronunciation. Says director Cukor, “She began reading very sweetly, and very, very clipped....
So I struck her across the face with the rudest thing I could say.
She screamed with laughter. That was the beginning of our most tender, wonderful friendship.”
Therese O’Neill.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"AND AS I RECALL, "THE I.Q.s OF THOSE ASTRO-CHIMPS COMPARED FAVORABLY WITH, SAY, THOSE OF YOUR AVERAGE NAVAL ENSIGN." Lt. Robinson Crusoe USN.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I confess that I haven't read much of this thread, so apologies if this one is already there.
Young Frankenstein:
Igor (that's pronounced "eye-gore") and Dr. Frankenstein (that's pronounced "Franken-steen") are up to their hips in a grave they are robbing for spare monster body parts. The doc is complaining ..

!)

A favorite quote around my house.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops." - Mortimer Brewster, Arsenic and Old Lace. The film remains my grandmother's favorite, and she's passed it on to me. Her favorite quote comes at the end of the film when Mortimer cries, "I'm the son of a sea-cook."

skydog757

A-List Customer
Jeremiah Johnson: [Jeremiah and Caleb find Del Gue buried to his neck in sand] Are you all right?

Del Gue: Sure, sure, I got a fine horse under me!

[sneezes]

Del Gue: Got one of them feathers in my nose.

Jeremiah Johnson: You keep sneezing, it'll come out all right. Haven't seen anyone pass by recent, have you?

Del Gue: Nobody's gone in front of me. Can't say what's happened behind me, though.

Jeremiah Johnson: The Injuns put you here?

Del Gue: T'weren't Mormons.

Jeremiah Johnson (1972)

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Several nominees:

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone

"I have two guns, one for each of you."

"Nonsense, I'm in my prime."

(back and forth)
"Wyatt is my friend."
"H***, Doc, I got a lot of friends."
"I don't."

Sam Eliott in "We Were Soldiers" at the fight by the anthill when they were almost overrun (and a gent I go to Church with landed there on the second day):

"Gentlemen! Prepare to defend yourselves!"

"

From "Cold Mountain," where a very tired from life, war, poverty, hunger and disappointment Inman (Jude Law) is about to engage in a gunfight (a less formal duel) with a the younger, not-yet-exhausted-and-disaffected-by-life Bosie (Charlie Hunnan) and Bosie is trying to get inside Inman's head:

Bosie: Tell you what I got on my side.
Inman: What have you got on your side?
Bosie: The confidence of youth.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
When asked by Mrs. Curtis why he is trading salt and not beads with the natives, he replies, "their not stupid you know!" King Solomon's Mines.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Dr. Phibes: Nine killed her; nine shall die! Eight have died, soon to be nine!

Nine eternities in doom! The organ plays till midnight! The large house in

Maldene Square. Come alone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner