Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

your height and the length of your A2 please

schitzo

Suspended
If those of you who own A2s that you're happy with wouldn't mind posting your height and ideal A2 length, that'd be useful info. I realise body proportions vary etc. etc. but if enough people post I think the data could be valuable

For me, it's the knits that make judging optimal A2 length, in body and sleeve, a long standing headache.

Thanks

Dav

One Too Many
I'm 6' in my socks and my A2 is 26.5", covers my belt just right now I've lost some weight. It was touch and go for a while with my stomach pushing my belt down at the front, especially with lower rise jeans, but I'm quite happy with that length now.
Aero 38-1711-P size 42, btw!

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Dav, what is the pit to pit measurement of your A-2? I believe I recall your telling me earlier that you had a ~42" chest, which is more or less the same as mine. Correct? I have an Aero Bronco A-2 that is about five years old labeled as a size 44 that measures:

pit to pit - 23.5"
shoulder - 19.25"
back - 27"
sleeves - 27"

Sizing is always the main issue when obtaining a jacket. If by Bronco were any tighter. ... :eeek:

Dav

One Too Many
Hi Fanch, mine measures
23.2" P to P
18" Shoulder
27" Sleeves
26.5" Back
Yes I did have a 42" chest but I've lost some weight so a little under 41.5" now.
When placing the order I was told that a 42 measured 22.5, so it seems to have grown a bit somehow.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hi Nick, you and I are not all that different in size; I am just a bit taller than you. I recall seeing pics of you wearing your A-2 and thought it fit you well. How is your newer Teamster breaking in? My Teamster is my favorite cold, windy, rainy day jacket, which describes today in N Texas, maybe the last before the long hot summer arrives here.

Dav

One Too Many
It's broken in very nicely, been getting plenty of wear the during the winter as it hasn't been cold enough to need anything else. I'll update the thread sometime in the next few months, when we get a bit of decent light to take some pics.

schitzo

Suspended
Dav those jeans are immense! What are they? I'm hoping they're iron hearts and that mine can one day end up looking like that..

@Nick123 yes i did but it was 28.5" long! Which has me puzzled, even more so as i remember thinking at the time that 29" might have been better. Now I'm starting to think that 27.5" could be the magic number.. but i'm far from certain on that. I do feel pretty good about 27" long sleeves though

For the record, I stand just a smidge under 6,2"

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Dav those jeans are immense! What are they? I'm hoping they're iron hearts and that mine can one day end up looking like that..

@Nick123 yes i did but it was 28.5" long! Which has me puzzled, even more so as i remember thinking at the time that 29" might have been better. Now I'm starting to think that 27.5" could be the magic number.. but i'm far from certain on that. I do feel pretty good about 27" long sleeves though

For the record, I stand just a smidge under 6,2"

Holy hell that's overkill!

If I was in your boat (which I am, proportionally), I'd say 26.5/27" is your best bet. I think 27.5" is a hair too long.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg

Mine measures 26" from the collar seam to the bottom of the waist knits.. I am a shade under 6'1". I bought this Aero 38-1711.P used and I feel it's a bit short but I wear it anyway

It all depends how long you measure from shoulder to waist (natural waist, or belt line, wherever you wear your trousers). At 5' 2" my A2s have all been size 36 with around 22" rear length and 23" front length. This matches my natural waist height, and I wear my trousers there, so it works out right.

Traditionally, of course, this type of jacket was intended to be waist length, which back in the day was at the natural waist, but obviously with lower rise trousers the modern makers are making the jackets longer. To my eye this makes an already quite unflattering, clunky jacket even more so.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The A2 is a funny item. I get that people love it's history. But it seems to me that it doesn't suit a lot of people. Even when it is beautifully made it can look shapeless and unflattering. I think if you are somewhere between 5'8 and 5'11 and no heavier than about 10 stone and you wear one that's not 2 sizes too big, and not too short, they look pretty good.

schitzo

Suspended
JC is 6,1 and if you look at the sale jackets on his site, the ones that he models in size 46 (his size), are IMO a perfect length on him - and they are all 28" long. This length makes a lot more sense to me.

What doesn't make any sense to me is makers like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOST-WORL...031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0355e607 who state that 25.5 is long enough for a 6,2 dude! How can it be? He also states that long sizes, for which according to his site typically 2 inches are added, are for guys 6,3 and over. So if you're 6, 3 LW says 27.5 is long enough for you. I just don't see it. For the record I am simply using him as an example, mainly because he definitely isn't going to be reading this (I think) but it seems there are plenty of other makers who do the same thing.

Looking back at the pictures on this thread again (and this is after perusing the master's work) I'd say those 3 jackets are all a bit short
*with the possible exception of Fanch's

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
JC is 6,1 and if you look at the sale jackets on his site, the ones that he models in size 46 (his size), are IMO a perfect length on him - and they are all 28" long. This length makes a lot more sense to me.

What doesn't make any sense to me is makers like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOST-WORL...031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0355e607 who state that 25.5 is long enough for a 6,2 dude! How can it be? He also states that long sizes, for which according to his site typically 2 inches are added, are for guys 6,3 and over. So if you're 6, 3 LW says 27.5 is long enough for you. I just don't see it. For the record I am simply using him as an example, mainly because he definitely isn't going to be reading this (I think) but it seems there are plenty of other makers who do the same thing.

Looking back at the pictures on this thread again (and this is after perusing the master's work) I'd say those 3 jackets are all a bit short

In my novice experience with A-2s, it seems there are unanswered questions/bermuda triangle mysteries when it comes to their length. One manufacter's 26" might cover your belt while another's doesn't, also why larger sized jackets (XL+) sometimes have lengths of 27"-28", the man is 5'9" but the jacket still looks not too long and proportional?

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here is my latest: G&B Air Corps Type A-2 Mark 41 mahogany MWHH labeled size 40 (tall) with the following measurements:
pit to pit - 24.5"
sleeves - 27"
back - 27"

The pit to pit for this size 40 A-2 is 1" greater than my Aero Bronco A-2 labeled as size 44, which illustrates the need for going by measurements rather than labeled size.

Dav

One Too Many

I think I agree regarding mine, not sure what the standard length was, but this one was 26.5" which I thought would be ample, if and when I have another go I'll try something a little longer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails