Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most non-vintage preference or attributes ...

I can't dance or drive stick shift--I'm too uncoordinated.

I like some hip-hop and rap, especially The Beastie Boys and Ta-Shma.

I often use hip, geeky nerdcore expressions like "giinormous" and "It's got electrolytes!"

My inclusivist social attitudes (like hanging around in racially mixed groups and accepting GLBT people) are more like something from a utopian possible future than something from back then or even now. Though I think if I had lived back in the Golden Age I'd have sill had the same attitudes--I'd just be even further out of step with the culture.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Slightly:eek:fftopic:
dhermann1:
"taught me to drive a stick (sort of). It's fun, but hair raising."
Either you drive a stick -which IMO is the ONLY way to drive - or you drive (float) automatic....can you elaborate a little on the (sort of):)
Well, I don't own a car, but my girlfriend has a 97 Subaru Legacy that is a stick. When we go on trips I take over sometimes, but I'm pretty much an amateur as a driver. I enjoy the stick shift, but I still have "awkward" moments.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
That depends, my piercings and tattoos could be considered non-vintage, but since it's been practiced for tousands of years I personally don't consider them non-vintage.

I think my most non-vintage qualities is my obsession with the 70s and the 80s...even though I know that could be considered a mortal sin around these parts. :p

That and, as someone mentioned before, the utter dependency on today's technologies. I'm such an internet and computer junkie it's not even funny any more.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Let's just say Chicago and my "tools of the trade" don't mix--I don't appreciate when some pencil-pusher thinks they're a better judge than I am of what tools to use to defend my life and the lives of those I care about. And with me already having several bullseyes on my back...
ah. i thought maybe it was a no-fly zone because the Mayor of Chicago bulldozed Meigs Field :(

too bad though, we have great pizza in town!

True on the pizza, from everyone I've heard talk about it. Sounds like Hizzoner King Richard's a problem to fliers and shooters alike! But we're getting :eek:fftopic:

Add me in as another vote for A/C and automatic transmissions (oh, and autoloading pistols, even though they were considered "gangster guns" in the '30s/'40s), to get us back on track...

pigeon toe

One Too Many
RedHotRidinHood said:
One other thing I thought of-if I lived during the "Golden Age", I would have probably gone to jail or gotten killed for my choice of mate-my beau is black and I am white, and we would not have been able to marry, much less live together, in most states at the time! He probably would have at least gone to jail and been treated badly, or been lynched. Us being together is not that big of a deal in this day and age, but I can't imagine what it would have been like to be so ostrasized. Also, he certainly would not have been able to work towards his master's degree in education like he is right now! Which would have been a shame, because he is a very intelligent man and so many doors would have been closed to him simply because he is black. So there is certainly alot to be said for the modern era and its changing attitudes towards race!

My boyfriend and I often think about things like this since we are both very into vintage and he is Mexican and I am white. Watching movies like American Me really gets us thinking about how different things would have been back then. It can still sometimes be a challenge today when people think we have nothing in common because our cultures are apparently so "different" (actually, Irish and Mexican cultures have a lot more in common than one would think!). The ignorant remarks from family and so-called friends have subsided in the past year, luckily, but if it can still be hard today I don't even wanna know what it would have been like 60+ years ago.

Another un-vintage thing about me: Just because I've only dated men doesn't mean I'm only attracted to men! ;)

Sunny said:
To be frank, I'd hate to live under Roosevelt's presidency. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I do strongly dislike most of the "literature" written in the period. Those I read are either Inklings and others of that ilk, or mystery and sci fi writers disdained by lofty lit-types.

Now you're cooking with gas. ;) I would likely have a problem with both---more the former than the later though. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Don't think I'd suffer either the FDR or Truman administrations well, either. (But I do like Ike... lol )

As for period lit, I don't know. I'd have to read more of it to be able to make a judgment. (Oldest post-Wells/Verne fiction in my library're hardcovers of Thunderball and The Man With The Golden Gun.)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Not nuts about FDR or HST, all right. But I suspect you wouldn't have cared much for Landon, Willkie or Dewey either. The GOP was fairly wishy washy in those years, if nothing else because they couldn't get hold of the White House. The closest thing to today's Republicans around then was probably the Dixiecrats.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
My boyfriend and I often think about things like this since we are both very into vintage and he is Mexican and I am white. Watching movies like American Me really gets us thinking about how different things would have been back then. It can still sometimes be a challenge today when people think we have nothing in common because our cultures are apparently so "different" (actually, Irish and Mexican cultures have a lot more in common than one would think!). The ignorant remarks from family and so-called friends have subsided in the past year, luckily, but if it can still be hard today I don't even wanna know what it would have been like 60+ years ago.

Another un-vintage thing about me: Just because I've only dated men doesn't mean I'm only attracted to men! ;)

And all I can think of is that scene in Mi Familia where the UCLA son brings his white in-laws home to visit his family in East LA. Awkward as heck until they start talking about tequitos.

Novella

Practically Family
I love jeans, especially low rise. I wear a lot of t-shirts and I own a small colony of flip flops. DVDs are one of my favorite inventions.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Jack Scorpion said:
And all I can think of is that scene in Mi Familia where the UCLA son brings his white in-laws home to visit his family in East LA. Awkward as heck until they start talking about tequitos.

Hahah, oh no! I haven't seen that movie. Our parents haven't met yet, but luckily my dad speaks Spanish fluently, otherwise we'd probably have a lot of awkward moments! Yikes!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
Hahah, oh no! I haven't seen that movie. Our parents haven't met yet, but luckily my dad speaks Spanish fluently, otherwise we'd probably have a lot of awkward moments! Yikes!

I really like that movie. It falls just short of fantastic due to some corny narration by Edward James Olmos, but: Recommended.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Ah, I see I have some fellow "anti FDR-ians"!

While not always "vintage", of course, I am most definitely always "old fashioned". Even when I'm wearing jeans and a T shirt, they both are relatively neat (I do actually work for a living), and they also actually fit. I usually stick with basic black or white for the T shirts, and the jeans are the same Wrangler jeans I have worn for 30 years...no low rises for me!

I'm definitely vintage in this respect: The Stooges RULE! Absolute comic geniuses!

I don't care for Sinatra much either (though I agree his earliest stuff is much better). I do listen to a lot of '40's music, though, but am quite eclectic. 18th century Baroque music, particularly Church cantatas by Bach and Telemann, and '70's and '80's music, since that's what I grew up listening to. I HATE '60's music, and most everything else the decade, or more specifically, the last half of the decade, is known for. I've listened to '40's and '50's music since high school, and still do. Bluegrass music too! Country only from the '50's and from the mid '70's through the '80's. I think most all music has pretty much sucked since sometime in the early '90's, but I can say the same thing for just about anything pop culture has offered since then. Hey, '70's is vintage now anyway, right?

I also have been known to "channel" the spirit of the King...

My perfect car would be a '53 Hudson Hornet (ooh, or maybe a Wasp!), but I could never afford such a thing. How 'bout maybe a '57 Dodge D500 325 Hemi with dual fours, black with flamethrowers.....

Treat me like a fool, treat me mean and cruel, but love me....

ScionPI2005 said:
(Regarding Dentistry)
I think that's enough said. There are just some modern things that are better than vintage, hands down.

Medical-wise we are definately doing better.

I like the convienience of CD's and don't have the budget to do the deep end stereo phonograph as I'd like. I eschew the use of cell phones. I am hoping to upgrade my home entertainment system although in a piece meal fashion to High Definition TV and am anxiously awaiting the big shake out over HD DVD and Blue Ray.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR