Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Reading Room

poetman

A-List Customer
Quite a few studies have been published that document the importance of physical space in influencing mental space. With that in mind, what does your reading room look like.
I tend to prefer a more 19th century look. I love dark walls, dim light, etc. Something that invokes the Holmes study:

sherlock3.jpg

tuppence

Practically Family
Quite a few studies have been published that document the importance of physical space in influencing mental space. With that in mind, what does your reading room look like.
I tend to prefer a more 19th century look. I love dark walls, dim light, etc. Something that invokes the Holmes study:

sherlock3.jpg

I think this room is more conducive to dusting than reading!

On a somewhat similar theme...

[video=youtube;-9Uf1SYr7E4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Uf1SYr7E4[/video]

[video=youtube;ZB1RVk5y7UU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB1RVk5y7UU[/video]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My reading room tends to resemble a rolling IRT NYC subway car, mainly because that's what it is. I do most of my reading while commuting to work. But I do occasionally read at home, in the comfort of my living room.

IMAG0655.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
My reading room tends to resemble a rolling IRT NYC subway car, mainly because that's what it is. I do most of my reading while commuting to work.

A Rock Island express train car to Chicago's LaSalle Street Station, then a rolling CTA subway car
reading commute. The return trip from LaSalle Street usually includes a cold Miller Lite.

Randy

Familiar Face
Would that I had a reading room. I particularly like your example in the opening post. Given the rope, I assume that this is not your reading room - I'd love to know where it is. It very closely resembles the room in my minds eye of what I would consider an ideal study had I won the lottery :)

- Randy

Quite often, my reading room is my backyard deck which is currently covered in blue Astroturf and adorned with tikis, lighting, flowering plant life, and a Adirondack chair. My backyard is decorated with string lighting, solar lighting, tikis, plastic flamingos, a swimming pool, two ponds, reed cane, and sculpted foliage. It is my Sanctuary, but is open to all.
:D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
These days I do most of my reading at the beach/pool and on the boat or a plane. I used to do a lot of reading on the train but I don't use them much anymore. Home seems to be used more for electronic media and the internet.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm amazed, happy, but amazed that no one has posted a picture of their bathroom (reading room).

I too, use electronic media more at home now. I quit taking the newspaper a few years ago because it was silly to read 3 day old internet news again. I own and use a Kindle, but I noticed that a lot of actual books are less expensive.

later

Randy

Familiar Face
I'm amazed, happy, but amazed that no one has posted a picture of their bathroom (reading room).

Heh, that would have been an excellent response ;)

I own and use a Kindle, but I noticed that a lot of actual books are less expensive.

That's a good part of why I don't have an actual reading room or study. While I currently have about 2000 books in the house they are located in multiple rooms, and with no more empty shelf space I tend to get almost all my new books on the Kindle. The 'reading room' tends to be wherever the kindle is...

- Randy

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Part reading room, part office:

house2012.jpg

I'll read anywhere, though. Bedroom, living room couch, in the car waiting for my daughter to get out of school...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Love what you did, TT! I'd add a Persian rug but that's just because of my fetish for the things.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Part reading room, part office:

house2012.jpg

I'll read anywhere, though. Bedroom, living room couch, in the car waiting for my daughter to get out of school...
Why do I have this sudden urge to recite The Pledge of Allegiance? ;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Love what you did, TT! I'd add a Persian rug but that's just because of my fetish for the things.

Thanks.

A rug is certainly going to be a feature of the room. However, since there is still a bit of building work going on outside, the rug will not be appearing until I'm certain that there won't be dust, cement and mud walked into it!

I'm proud of how the room looks. I'm happy to have some space to put up posters and my wife finally has the chaise longue she has always craved. The posters are so far: Belgian posters for The Wooden Horse, The Cruel Sea and The Colditz Story. Plus, I have three American lobby cards from Dunkirk. As you might have guessed, I have a bit of an interest in old British war films. There is a perfect space for a French poster from The Captive Heart which is still out being framed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21