Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feraud

Bartender
MK said:
....and I always make sure to use more than three dots for an ellipse.....just to goad the punctuation Nazi's.
lol that is..hilarious!!

O.k. I have now broken the peeves listed in this topic. I use them in online writing when trailing off an incomplete thought or to emphasise a word. I do not engage in any pen writing, it is sooo...passe! ;) :)

Mostly they (elipses) are completely misused. As an avid Celine reader, i'm afraid i fall into the trap.

Yes, smilies are irritating. I find they are generally used in a passive aggressive manner to indicate that the writer thinks the person he's addressing is stupid but doesn't have the guts to say so. This, the most blatant of this type: :rolleyes: Seen an AWFUL lot in the OB

bk

Elaina

One Too Many
I use smilies because I know I'm too dry when I type, and rather then be offensive I toss out the :) to show I'm okay with it, or meaning it less like it reads, or the ;) as self-effacing. I will use the [huh] because I get to the point off here I shrug at stuff I'm saying and use it as a trail off of a thought.

Of course...I'm just annoying. I have older brothers so I have lots and lots of practice.

Elaina

Girl Friday

Practically Family
...it's a dramatic pause for me, like a shrug or something. [huh]

as for the smiley faces, they are handy, especially since you can't hear someone's tone of voice and something might come across as rude or mean if you can't say... ;) or whatever...:eek: to make sure something you have said isn't taken the wrong way :eek:

Alright, maybe I am just a geek. I don't like them either but they do serve their purpose...

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I agree with Elaina...I use both elipses and emoticons online to help convey my feelings about the topic and to add a sense of cadence to my words. In my opinion, both are fine when used in moderation.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
MK said:
....and I always make sure to use more than three dots for an ellipse.....just to goad the punctuation Nazi's.

"Nazis" is vritten viss-out an apostrophe. You cultureless Amerikans vill never understand vhat iss really important in life!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I use the three dots, but only in my online writing. I have been doing it so long now that it's part of my personality.

Even when trying to become other characters in online role playing games (yes, I am a geek), my typing style gives me away every time.

Cobden

Practically Family
On the forum's I admin (for a couple of re-enactment groups) I have banned the use of ellipses; I feel that there is usually a better piece of punctuation that fits rather, such as the semi-colon or colon.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cobden said:
On the forum's I admin (for a couple of re-enactment groups) I have banned the use of ellipses; I feel that there is usually a better piece of punctuation that fits rather, such as the semi-colon or colon.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana