Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

16 inch waist

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I think tightlacing is pretty unhealthy anyway. A lot of Victorian women were found with ruptured livers etc.

I'm lost with all this colon talk...? :p

G

GoldLeaf

BellyTank said:
Excuse me but most folks need a colon in there,
at least one.
Maybe she does without.

At first I thought he ment a colon as in punctuation : I thought BT was suggesting we incorporate the elusive stacked periods in more of our posts. Then I realized he was refering to the large intestine. lol Basicly saying that Dita is so tiny because she doesn't have that portion of her digestive tract.

I like an hourglass figure as well, but I get enough of one with a waist cincher a full skirt and crinolines. Good enough for me. Illusion is everything :D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BellyTank said:
Thanks for sharing that Daisy- it's amazing what one can discover about another on this crazy forum....

B
T
lol :p :D :eek: Yup, had to have it removed. But I still have about 2 inches, so I guess I have a semi-colon:D I totally thought that I would get really skinny because of it. I myself was dreaming of a 20 inch waist. I did lose a lot weight, but the doctors didn't like that so they put me on steroids to gain. Now I'm all buffed up, and they now think I need to lose weight!!! Yup, this forum sure is crazy:eek:

Astrobeej

New in Town
In her spooky gothic youth as a professional corset maker, my wife was trained down to 16" as well.

Bev.jpg

She's got a very small frame and long waist anyway, and yes, the moment she stopped wearing corsets on a regular basis, her body shape returned to "normal". (I still think she's gorgeous!)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Can I be your wife in that photo for just one day?!:eusa_clap

Astrobeej said:
In her spooky gothic youth as a professional corset maker, my wife was trained down to 16" as well.

Bev.jpg

She's got a very small frame and long waist anyway, and yes, the moment she stopped wearing corsets on a regular basis, her body shape returned to "normal". (I still think she's gorgeous!)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
That isn't just a corseting thing... it is a performer thing. And it isn't starving oneself... We tend to eat lighter and try not to drink anything or eat anything right before a show because it makes one feel bloated and heavy and that effects a performance. After the show though there is tons of chewing down. Plus with the added excitement of the show, eatting usually isn't the number 1 priority.

pigeon toe said:
Aww, that makes me really sad. I look up to her a lot, that's really disappointing that she does that to herself.

Squished

pigeon toe said:
However, I've always wondered if tight lacing that small would impact your ability to be pregnant?
I seem to recall that during the time when women wore corsetry (Victorian Era?) that over time there were symptoms and difficulties associated with it's use. Over time the organs were literally displaced with in the body causing problems. So be careful and don't over do it, maybe some research would be adviseable.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I remember reading the same thing...it really wasn't a healthy practice for women. I also remember the fact that that's why fainting was so common...with the corset so tight, a lady could only take in so much breathe, over do it, and she would get light headed and possibly faint.
Isn't it also true that the corset would weaken the lower back making standing very uncomfortable because the muscles were so underdeveloped?

Elaina

One Too Many
For a completely different point of view...

I've worn a corset off and on since I was 13. When I was told I had scoliosis, my dad took one look at the medical corset and said "No way" and took me to a corsetier, and had pretty othopedic ones made. I wore them for 4 years, on a fairly strict schedule (23 hours for 6 days and 10 for the other), then got out of them. Wore them for about 10 years off and on (did a lot of reenactments) and started having trouble after I had my son and quit wearing them at all. Been wearing one now for almost 5 years now, and I'm likely not ever going to get out of them again. Tightlacing is anything over 4 inches, generally, and I'm considered a tightlacer, although it's not extreme, and most fetishist don't consider my modest reduction (under a doctor's care no less) as true tightlacing. My liver's healthy, I don't suffer any ill effets internally, and I lace a little tighter then the average woman in the Victorian age.

My back muscles and abdominal were the only things affected, it IS true that wearing one with no respite or exercise can and will atrophy them, causing a corset to be mandatory (which is what indeed happened in my case, because of the spinal twisting trying to be corrected, and in a large part why my spine is twisted again) but with a corset on, standing is no more uncomfortable for me then standing for other people without one on.

The human body is squishy, and wearing of a corset (for me) has not made me suffer any long term effects, save for the fact that I was of the age that treating scoliosis was still barbaric and they didn't stress important factors for ANYONE wearing a corset. Like "take it off and exercise". I was allowed to take it off to shower, let my body breathe for an hour a day, 6 days a week.

Nothing gets repositioned at about 2 inches, 4-6 (which is where I fall into) causes a constriction of the diaphram so I have to breathe differently (I breathe shallowly due to wearing a corset as a teenager,so it's second nature to me now. I rarely breathe deeply in or out of a corset), but even then it's mostly body fat getting moved about, and a support for the muscles that never developed properly. Getting pregnant isn't affected at all, since the ovaries and uterus isn't even where the waist is, thus not taking the brunt of the force (which on me is about 60 lbs of pressue to the whole area corseted, slightly more then a good merry widow). I got pregnant with my son during a period I was really into body modification, and at that time I was working on getting a 16" waist as well (I made it from a 24" waist naturally to a 19" and found out I was pregnant.)

Most of what is passed down through mainstream means is exaggerated. Yes, fainting DID occur, mostly due to not listening to one's body and overdoing it. It just means your body is telling you it's too tight, and they over did it. Wearing a corset has no general ill effects, it's the amount you lace. Over an extended period of time, the tightlacing can cause the ribs and some organs to reposition, but you're not talking a drastic change, merely a slight one, that eventually will reposition when the corset isn't worn at all.

My 2 cents.

Jay

Practically Family
Personally, I don't dig really skinny girls. Never have. But it works on Dita, I'll have to admit.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
it is a performer thing. And it isn't starving oneself... We tend to eat lighter and try not to drink anything or eat anything right before a show because it makes one feel bloated and heavy and that effects a performance.

That is entirely understandable, when I competed in tournments I wouldn't eat or drink much the morning of(mostly nerves) But the article says that( I quote them) "SHe almost starves herself for days before a show)

It's the 'days' part that makes me (and Pigeon Toe I think also) raise an eyebrow, morning of is normal, days....I start to wonder, IMHO it can't be very healthy. But she is a grown woman and if that's what she wants to do....[huh]

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
CanadaDoll said:
That is entirely understandable, when I competed in tournments I wouldn't eat or drink much the morning of(mostly nerves) But the article says that( I quote them) "SHe almost starves herself for days before a show)

The full quote is

The 34-year-old almost starves herself days before a performance, eating only protein and small amounts of steamed vegetables.

That would be the journalists choice of the word "starves"

Ok, 16" is small, but she isn't exactly large without the corset, 5" reduction isn't a massive amount with corsets. When buying corsets the first corset you buy would usually be 2" off, then you move onto 4" down.

In my own experience there's no problem breathing at that point (at all) and it's very comfortable. One more inch isn't going to change that a lot.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I'm a little confused.

I think Dita is beautiful, yes, but 16 inches makes my own tummy hurt. But I'm curious as to why she would go through the trouble of fitting into a 16" waisted corset when she takes it off during her performance anyway? Does it make a difference?

I am not well-acquainted with all that goes into waist training and the like.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
On a side note, boxers go without food for days before a weigh-in so that they can just barely squeeze by for their weight class. Middle weights especially are often technically heavy weights by the time they're in their mid-season form. Just thought I'd mention it, as it seems to pertain to this in a weird sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy