Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1861 - The Consequences of the Crinoline

Drappa

One Too Many
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/from-the-archive-blog/2011/may/11/newspapers-national-newspapers

1861oct16crinoline.jpg

Amy

New in Town
Apparently the want for more closet space is an enduring female trait.

It is a problem. I only have one petticoat which is 'larger than it ought to be' and still nowhere to keep it! Although, I must say, I rather like the idea of being a queen in my own home. What a fantastic article! Thank you, Drappa!

Idledame

Practically Family
I was aware of the fire danger and the discomfort and awkwardness of sitting, but never thought of the small children pushed off footbridges and pushed under carriage wheels by the hoops. From what I've read, the main worry of women wearing hoops was the one about tripping and falling down.....revealing everything to all the people behind you. I read that that was the reason ladies first started wearing underwear...the bloomers that eventually became the panties and thongs of today.

And have you ever noticed in some movies about this time period, a women will be eloping or running away, and will have just one tiny suitcase.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
From what I've read, the main worry of women wearing hoops was the one about tripping and falling down.....revealing everything to all the people behind you. I read that that was the reason ladies first started wearing underwear...the bloomers that eventually became the panties and thongs of today.

Apparently there is a technique to sitting down in a crinoline without exposing yourself - my aunt was in a school production of The King and I and the girls all took a while to adapt!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Great article! I wonder how much was fact and how much was invention.
I had heard of the fire and the machinery but not some of the others. It would never have occurred to me that they could be disemboweled by a stray hoop wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner