Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

18th century people

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Just how many 18th century people are here on the Lounge? Reenactors, flintlock shooters, etc. I know of 3 or 4 others already.

How many of us take off our cocked hats, only to then put on a fedora?

:D

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
I'm new at 18th C. reenacting. I have a hunting outfit and a flintlock. I'm a shooter by trade and with using the latest technology all the time, I wanted to go back to a time when you had to rely on your own knowledge. I am also an avid hunter and outdoorsman, so getting back to the basics was a goal of mine. The pride of my outfit is my hat. I have two. I bought two brown blanks in Williamsburg, VA (I live in the area). I made a tricorn out of one myself and the other I left with a wide brim and made the band. I'll try to get som pics and post them.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AManandhisDog.jpg

(photo by David Wright)

Count me in with the 18th century living history gang. For a number of years I was heavily involved with "hands-on" kind of 18th century things. I was honored with the opportunity to have a part in the building of "Martin's Station" at the Wilderness Road State Park in Virginia, as well as to participate on several long-range living history projects. Probably the most "intense" activity was our group's annual "Linville Gorge Death March", but the most enjoyable was our "Granville county Deer Hunt" (we went to the woods for three or four days to hunt, then went on to Williamsburg to do a little "hunting" in the taverns).

Unfortunately, for the past two years or so I've not been able to do anything due to family obligations that have required me to not be away from home.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I am not a re-enactor, but I love to make the dresses from this time period. :)
Here's me at a costume guild event:
l_37a32a4baf9dfb39360d3c54ed089f6c.jpg

Chanfan

A-List Customer
My wife does various dresses from late 18th C. to mid 19th C. She was just teaching a corset making class…

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Can anyone recommend any good sources/forums (online or other) for people interested in getting into 18th century reenacting? I've always been interested in the history, but have recently had the opportunity to become more involved with the living history programs at local revolutionary-era house and would like to begin participating.

warbird

One Too Many
Big Man said:
AManandhisDog.jpg

(photo by David Wright)

Count me in with the 18th century living history gang. For a number of years I was heavily involved with "hands-on" kind of 18th century things. I was honored with the opportunity to have a part in the building of "Martin's Station" at the Wilderness Road State Park in Virginia, as well as to participate on several long-range living history projects. Probably the most "intense" activity was our group's annual "Linville Gorge Death March", but the most enjoyable was our "Granville county Deer Hunt" (we went to the woods for three or four days to hunt, then went on to Williamsburg to do a little "hunting" in the taverns).

Unfortunately, for the past two years or so I've not been able to do anything due to family obligations that have required me to not be away from home.

Great attire! I love it. Though not a re-enactor I spent quite a lot of time as an active member of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Board, when I lived in Virginia.

Big Man

warbird said:
... I spent quite a lot of time as an active member of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Board, when I lived in Virginia.

And I spent quite a bit of money at Campbell's Tavern and Chowning's Tavern over the years. :beer:

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
I've dabbled a bit with an 18th Century longhunter persona, due mostly to the influence of Mark Baker's wonderful articles. Yet my interest goes more with the early 19th Century mountaineers, especially Jed Smith and Joseph Walker, who led brigades over the Sierras into California. Though I'm not as active as I was in the 1990's, I still put on the old moccasins a least twice a year and hit the trail.

832290211_8db3657a49.jpg

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Fatdutchman said:
BeBopBaby,

Go to http://frontierfolk.net/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2

This is one of the better websites devoted to 18th century "living history".

There are some other sites more geared to historical firearms/shooting
www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php?
www.americanlongrifles.com

I'm a gunmaker (though not nearly as good as Rooster). I don't get to too many events, myself.

Thanks for the link! There's a lot to weed through on the internet and it really helps. I'd mainly be doing an impression of a rural farm woman - as they need help tending the gardens at the house I mentioned earlier. It's pretty interesting - all of the vegetables they grow are heritage seeds that are direct decendants of the vegetables grown at Montecello and Mt. Vernon. And the house has strong ties to the Revolutionary War and the Whiskey Rebellion.

Boris K

One of the Regulars

Fatdutchman, amazingly, I just saw this thread.

I have done 18th century reenacting (and have made hunting frocks, knives, sheaths, etc.).

My wife bought me a surprise Christmas present: Boone a Biography by Robert Morgan. Will get reading it soon!

Boonesborough is one of my favorite places :)

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
I've done various 18th century maritime living history impressions over the last 6 years, and am currently with the HMS Falcon as an AB. If I can get a new pair of trousers made, I'll be donning my cock'd hat this weekend.

Cheers,
Adam C.

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Me! The 18th century is one of my biggest interests. I'm mainly into the fashion and high society culture, and the 1770s and -80s is my favourite period.

811344623_5d755ac38f_o.jpg

888661041_86af8ad4a9_o.jpg

299657590_c31edefb8a_o.jpg

I'm not really into reenacting and we don't really do that in Swedish 18th century circles. There are parties and events but not the war stuff you seem to do a lot in the US for example.

I have an 18th century blog as well, the link is in my signature.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Johanna said:
Me! The 18th century is one of my biggest interests. I'm mainly into the fashion and high society culture, and the 1770s and -80s is my favourite period.

811344623_5d755ac38f_o.jpg

888661041_86af8ad4a9_o.jpg

299657590_c31edefb8a_o.jpg

I'm not really into reenacting and we don't really do that in Swedish 18th century circles. There are parties and events but not the war stuff you seem to do a lot in the US for example.

I have an 18th century blog as well, the link is in my signature.

I loved the set where you went to see Marie Antoinette in costume. That is just so interesting--I would never think of things like that, and wouldn't know what I was doing if I did think of them. I want to be an artist! :(

Miss 1929

Love it, but few events!

There isn't much 18th C reenactment going on in California, which is too bad as it is so pretty! B ut there is always Halloween...

l_9d3d7e4b9db3eb508ce2a9a766d31e66.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy