Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s One-Hour Dress

Mojito

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie, I'm sorry it didn't work out - although I'm sure you're your own worst critic!

Shearer, a stunner of a dress - you all look absolutely gorgeous in those photos. And I agree with Miss Sis - that embroidery is no one hour job. I think that's one of the things I love about 20s clothing - comparatively simple basic cut, embellished with absolutely stunning fabric, beading, embroidery etc etc.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Bumping this one up.

I'd really love to see everyone's variations of the one-hour dress! I just treated myself to a reproduction of the 1925 pamphlet and plan on making it as soon as I get it!

I'm sure many of you know about Bramcost Publications, but for those who don't they reproduce original beauty pamphlets, manuals, and instruction guides from Victorian to the 1960s. Their guides include everything from dressmaking, knitting, hat-making, hairstyles, home decorating, makeup -- everything girlie and vintage! They have all three 1920s one-hour dress pamphlets in print.

http://www.amazon.com/shops/bramcost

I've bought some of their books in the past and I love them!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I've been meaning to get several of their books. Did you happen to get the 30s hairstyle or makeup ones, and if so, how are they?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amy Jeanne said:
Bumping this one up.

I'd really love to see everyone's variations of the one-hour dress! I just treated myself to a reproduction of the 1925 pamphlet and plan on making it as soon as I get it!

I'm sure many of you know about Bramcost Publications, but for those who don't they reproduce original beauty pamphlets, manuals, and instruction guides from Victorian to the 1960s. Their guides include everything from dressmaking, knitting, hat-making, hairstyles, home decorating, makeup -- everything girlie and vintage! They have all three 1920s one-hour dress pamphlets in print.

http://www.amazon.com/shops/bramcost

I've bought some of their books in the past and I love them!

Darn you, Amy Jeanne, now I've gone and ordered two books!
Both 1930s dress pattern design books. They look great!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Sis said:
:eek:fftopic: but I got the 30s make-up one and it's lovely. Inspired me to buy coloured eyeshadow but I haven't had a chance to experiment with it yet.

Lots of interesting tips, all in colour. I recommend.

I have an original of this book, it is lovely. Odd that they show the rouge going all the way up to the lower eyelid!
But it gives an excellent view of what way to do eyebrows, eyeshadow (and what very limited ranges of colors were available), rouge placement for different face shapes, and lipstick styles.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
lol
I plan on getting on more, too!!

I'll third the 30s makeup book. It is adorable and I find it more useful than "Vintage Face."

Louise Anne

Suspended
I just wanted to add that I have found a dress maker who's just made one of these "one hour dresses" sound as if she will be making more for sale soon,
As far as I know it's just waiting now to be photographed, when I recive a copy I see if I can put it up here, copywrite etc,
It will be interesting to see.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I'm bumping this up in case anyone has anything new to add...

I was wondering if anyone has any examples to show off.

Finding '20s inspired clothing can be difficult and pricey so I'd like to try my hand at whipping up something myself.

So, any input would be fantastic! Thanks!

Amie

One of the Regulars
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was just wondering if anyone got around to making one of the one hour dresses. I just received book 2 in the mail. The directions seem sparse, while some parts are quite detailed at the same time. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I don't think there are any directions for making the collar or the other details, etc. Just viewed the youtube video for the dress as well, but I have to say, the youtube one turned out so freakishly horrid. The video was helpful to a point, but she didn't even bother to follow the 20s silhouette, which made the undertaking of the dress rather pointless. Wondering if anyone has had luck with this dress.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Avalon said:
Whoops! I didn't realize it was copyrighted! :eek:
FYI, and only becasue I have 2 patents and several copyrights and I am nosey, you can not re-copyright something that has become public domain. Public domain works may be freely copied or used in the creation of derivative works without permission, or authorization, of the former copyright owners. Also becasue of fair use if for some crazy reason she did actually get a copyright, which I can say with 99% certainty she didn't, you can still legally make copys for personal use as long as your not selling them. ;)

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Wow it's a lovely dress! I'm actually getting excited about moving and getting my sewing machine out of storage.

So if this pattern is in the public domain but previously copyrighted the seller is quite possibly breaking the law by reselling it! :D Can someone post a PDF please? ;) I'll have a google and see what I can come up with and report back too.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Hi guys
Just to let you know, i made one of these babies a few weeks ago and it came out AWESOME!!!
I will take an photo and post it tonight.
The great thing about it is that as soon as you get the hang of the theory of what you are doing you can make it any length, any size and with any embellishment you like - it really is easy peasy and although took me more like 3 hours for a first try, is still super quick.
I plan to make loads of them and sell them for art deco weekend next year, i reckon they will be fab in lace as overdresses.
Like I said - i will post a pic tonight.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
sorry its a baaaad pic!

Hey guys
sorry this is such a poor pic but it was getting dark by the time i got to take it.
It looks way better on.
as yoy can see it has bias for the neck and sleeves, so its easy as.
Next time i will try longer sleeves and an assymetrical longer length.
Like i said it is great for making it your own way once you understand the theory behind the dress, its such a clever idea. it looks complicated on the instructions, but all makes sense once you start.
DSC05936.jpg
[/IMG]

crwritt

One Too Many
Claireg, which skirt option did you choose? I can't tell too well from the photos.
I have this pattern, there are several ways you can do the skirt sides, gathered, pleated, or kind of left open and flapped over and tacked like the example in the video. I'd like to see it on you, of course, to see how it fits you.
I realize these were not fitted in the waist area, and tended to be fairly snug in the hips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy