Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The world war might have something to do with it. At least in Germany people would associate breeches with Nazi uniforms or uniforms in general. After the war they wanted to forget.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The world war might have something to do with it. At least in Germany people would associate breeches with Nazi uniforms or uniforms in general. After the war they wanted to forget.

That is true, even today. High boots worn with breeches still conjure imagery of Hitler or Nazis, for many people. It may change due to fashion, but the stereotype is still strong. It is one of the first things people think of when jackboots are mentioned, for example. However, even today, one wearing breeches with boots is unlikely to remind people of Nazis as much as a certain square mustache would, so perhaps not all is lost for a revival of breeches, plus-fours, and jodhpurs.

Here's a 1920s era photograph of a man walking the streets.

12c8a1e4a26c7b742ea50d1ac5a34bbe.jpg

This is a man wearing them while golfing.

4_1925%2Btrousers%2Bto%2Bsocks%2Bhagen.jpeg

DamianM

Vendor
See those aren't even breeches those are knickerbockers /plus fours

These are breeches. See how they used buttons or lace to tighten them.
the difference is pretty great. Knickers/ plus fours would be made from linen- heavy tweeds as oppose to the breeches which wold be a tough twill, melton, and others.

OldMeasureChart.jpg

breeches+ad.JPG

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Is there any idea why people stopped wearing them, and plus-fours? Was there an effective advertising campaign, which was a reaction against the look?

The sale of breeches would have risen during the 1930s in the UK when there was an increase in horse riding. I know it seems strange that, in the era of increased car ownership, horse riding became increasingly popular (in one year - circa 1930 - Aberdeen saw the establishment of three riding schools). However, the increase was among the middle classes who were not traditionally riders but took it up as a way of getting more exercise since they were spending less time walking and more time driving. The onset of war brought that trend to an end and it never returned. Thus riding breeches were less popular post-war.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I suspect it was a very British thing. It would also account for the increased popularity of hacking jackets during the 1930s, which moved from being a riding coat to being 'high street' fashion.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It may be artwork, but that's a nice looking suit. Peaked lapels can look quite good when that narrow. The high gorge seems to have been very common during that era, as well. How would we describe his hat, is it a porkpie?

Flat Foot Floey

tumblr_mzvt1dXglD1rtldqxo1_1280.jpg

Interesting picture. A DB waistcoat under a DB suit jacket. Wide legged trousers and slim legged trousers in the same picture...the left in the middle doesn't look high waisted. Then there are the shoes with the squared toe shape. Not my favourite shape really but kinda interesting. The tie on the right...has a figure on it? Maybe a pinup? Not sure if this is just an illusion.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
No this is most definitely a woman figure on the tie. Interesting - I thought they first came up in the 1940s.

Flat Foot Floey

Tumblr said: "John Frank Keith. Four teenage boys standing in front of brick and stone house, Philadelphia. Gelatin silver on postcard mount, ca. 1931."
But I think it is a few years earlier.

Ah cool. There is an archive with some more pictures. Use the search for john frank keith. Does the direct link work?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner