Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The Margate pic is great: the two younger men are really well dressed. it's very much the classic British summertime look. it would be interesting to know what theri shoes are. Sometimes when i look at pictures of this era I notice that the white shoes are nothing more than plimsolls.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
... hope it works for overseas please tell me.

yes, it works.

'The Show Off' 1926:

theshowoff1926_zps3fbfd55b.jpg

Bryant Washburn, 1919:

Bryant_Washburn_01_zpsc055b5d8.png

Bryant_Washburn_02_zpsc4e0bb72.png

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
CROOKS LIKE US
By Peter DOYLE

In the 1920s Sydney police began quietly assembling a gallery of the city's most light-fingered, fleet-footed, silver-tongued rogues and con artists, magsmen, housebreakers, thugs, gunmen, shoplifters, drug dealers, pickpockets and hooligans. These extraordinary images resurfaced in the 1980s, long after the original paperwork had been lost and the crooks, the cops and all who remembered them had passed on. Based on years of research into police files, court records, newspapers and other sources, Crooks like us offers a glimpse into the difficult lives of these fugitive souls and what they did, who they hurt, who hurt them, where they came from and, sometimes, where they ended up. Illustrated with rich, emotionally charged police Special Photography from the Justice & Police Museum, Sydney, Crooks like us opens a secret door onto Sydney's hidden histories.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hotos-1920s-criminals-arrested-Australia.html

http://www.cracked.com/blog/15-old-photographs-that-prove-world-used-to-be-insane/

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, i don't think so but i'd give it a go; i think there's too much happening on the front. i think it would work better if the two patch breast pockets were replaced by a single welt.

Jeff Londerée

New in Town
Here's an illustration of common early 20s American suits, especially the zouave jobs. ;) It's the Dramatic Order Knights of Kharassan band of which my great grandfather was a member in Charleston, WV. He's the smirky guy with big ears, middle row far right.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Hyena, did you buy this suit up from ebay ?
i've just been looking through photos i saved from ebay and found one that looks identical to your suit... but all crumpled up.

Yeah, it came from eBay a little white ago (I think it's been a year already.) It was rough when I got it, but a good dry-cleaning fixed it up.

(I also remember seeing a jacket on ebay, maybe a year ago also, identical in cut and fabric to mine, except instead of a belted back, it had a fancier yoke.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Really? Why is that?

I brought it to a couple of cleaners and they refused to clean it for me. They claimed since it was an antique garment, they didn't want to take responsibility should it be "destroyed" during the dry cleaning process (they basically called it a piece of junk.)

It can be hard finding a good, trustworthy cleaner.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I need to take some of my vintage items to the cleaners, but fear having an item destroyed! Congrats on finding one that actually took care and pride in their work, Hyena! Excellent job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner