Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
raccoon, bear, wolf (!) ... i'm sure there are others. if you were furry you had reason to be worried in the 20s.

racooncoats_zps6956428c.jpg

racoon_ads_zps84b9aabf.png

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh I love John Held Jr. Illustrations. No skinny trousers ;)
No, I just love the style. While Leyendecker is very elegant and guys like Norman Rockwell certainly made a few iconic pictures I fell closer to the lighthearted drawing style from John Held Jr.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I saw this in New York last year: 1920s Bearskin coat. It had been priced at $700 but was reduced to $400. I don't suppose there's much call for bearskin in New York these days.

bearskin-coat_zps3987c1d6.jpg

It was too small for me, but it was a good fit on my friend:

Bearskin-Phil-2_zps1d5deaf7.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, that sounds like a good price. men's fur coats are very sought after among the 1920s fanatics.

Oh I love John Held Jr. Illustrations. No skinny trousers ;)
No, I just love the style. While Leyendecker is very elegant and guys like Norman Rockwell certainly made a few iconic pictures I fell closer to the lighthearted drawing style from John Held Jr.

interesting that they have prominent sideburns. i don't recall seeing those in photographs apart from one of Rudolph Valentino which was obviously for a film role. perhaps it inspired a short lived trend ?

p.s. if you like Held check out Russell Patterson too; another illustrator who captured college life in the 20s and 30s.

Last edited:

mikepara

Practically Family
Wow Twotypes, I wish I lived within traveling distance to that shop! I'm a lover of the 20's look but can't say I'd wear a fur coat in all honesty.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
David Owens Vintage Clothing
154 Orchard Street (between Rivington St & Stanton St)
New York City, NY 10002
United States

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
yes, there's no accounting for taste. ;)

i don't see the raccoon coat as bad taste at all. slightly absurd yes, but with a sort of casual, off-hand luxuriousness.

That's what I always say when confronted by animal-rights activists about wearing fur: 'I'm just being slightly absurd, but with a sort of casual, off-hand luxuriousness'

Guaranteed to work every time!

Edward

Bartender
That's what I always say when confronted by animal-rights activists about wearing fur: 'I'm just being slightly absurd, but with a sort of casual, off-hand luxuriousness'

Guaranteed to work every time!

I'd never buy new fur made from an animal whose flesh wasn't eaten (that's where I draw the line. I'm no vegetarian, but I can't abide the notion of taking from nature and wasting anything we can use), but that said it seems a sin to me to let vintage furs rot unworn. Wasteful. TBH, though, I think the real reason I wouldn't be likely to wear fur today is less the stereotypical, shrill extremist end of the animal welfare movement, and more that the image it calls to mind most readily for me is the likes of Puffy Dad (or whatever the hell he's calling himself this week) and that whole culture of conspicuous consumption. I make no attempt to justify this nor claim it is in any way logically consistent with my own dandy leanings, but there you have it.

My favourite fur-coat line is from Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

"'What poor, unfortunate creature had to die so that you could wear that?'

"'My Aunt Trudy.' I replied."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav