Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s(?)Beck Northeaster Flying Togs Police Coat

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
This is my first dedicated post like this, so bear with me.

I thought this one was worth documenting before finding it's forever home. This is a Northeaster Flying Togs Horsehide Police Coat. I'd say it was un-issued, but there are holes where the badge was pinned on which further pushes back it's date of manufacture my mind. I think it's 1930s/40s based on a few things: the button loops vs. holes, the mouton collar isn't detachable, and finally the throat closure. To me it really is a throwback. It really does close tightly around the neck.

This one came out of the Northeast US and the ad cheerfully suggested that it could likely be cut down if one wanted a shorter coat.

IMG_2650.jpg
IMG_2677.jpg
IMG_2651.jpg
IMG_2653.jpg
IMG_2652.jpg

The condition is almost impossible considering the age. The liner is free from moth holes, the leather flexible and strong. The storm cuffs are perfect. It is completely clean in every way. The liner is pretty elaborate; diamond quilted nylon sleeves with storm cuffs, shaved shearling main body transitioning into navy wool, hanging independently from the leather.

IMG_2670.jpg
IMG_2658.jpg
IMG_2664.jpg
T

The label is one of my favourite parts of this coat. It's an early silk label, and in the right light, you can see gold thread in the bicycle, the underbelly of the airplane and the riders jacket. I messed with the below photo a little to try to show it, but only contrast/tint etc, and pretty minor.

IMG_2667.jpg

If anyone wants to see anything specific let me know!

Cheers,

M.

Attachments

• IMG_2663.jpg
    IMG_2663.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 55

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
A beautiful Coat A lot of Fine leather! I've been tempted by some of the long Coats before, but I haven't got there.. Wasn't sure where I would be able to wear It. This looks like a good example as you will find. The nylon lining says 1950s. Didn't Come into Popular use till about 1951

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112