Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s Cavalry- Mechanized and Horse

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hey Gang,

Are there any folks here interested in the US Cavalry of the 1930s? Specifically for me, I'm researching the 7th Cavalry Brigade (Mechanized) between 1932 and 1940.

Building a "Combat Car" crewman's uniform but its 99% the same as a normal mounted trooper. So if any could share info it would be much appreciated!!

Here are some awesome images I found while searching the Life images through Google. Combat Car Crew, 1st Cavalry Regiment (MECZ)

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5148/cccommander.jpg

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7065/ccmaint.jpg

Clint

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Definitely of interest...About 20 years ago, PBS broadcast a program which contained interviews with former Troopers of this time period. They were (I believe) on a train, headed for Ft. Huachucha (?) to relive memories; most, if not all, were Buffalo Soldiers, and their recollections were fascinating. I also have a tape of a British programme on the Cavalry, and it contains touching scenes of U.S. Troopers in the '30s saying farewell to their horses. I know, cbrunt, that you are more into mechanized, but do you have History of the U.S. Cavalry, by Swafford Johnson, or Cavalry, by James Lawford? Very good resources.

"Widebrim," formerly G Troop, 1/82 Cavalry, USA.

draws

Practically Family
Fletch said:
They're not gonna want to discuss the combat car. They're horse people.
I agree, Fletch. There isn't much in the way of combat car crew uniform information anywhere, especially in the 30s time period. What is the consensus of discussing 30s cavalry uniforms/clothing in general and related organizations here, or should another thread be opened? I could contribute in this area if need be. What does everyone think?

alden405

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
They're not gonna want to discuss the combat car. They're horse people.

militaryhorse is actually pretty open to all grown up war talk

cavalry uniform was the same for horsed or mech during this period

one big differance was spurs didnt get worn in half tracks or combat cars

having just said that i do have some pics of combat car crew members wearing spurs,so go figure

below isnt a picture of them

img414.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo