Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s Cavalry- Mechanized and Horse

Story

I'll Lock Up
Cavalry in Iraq.

iraq-donkey.jpg

:D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
cbrunt said:
Hi Guys,

Though I created this thread, somehow I missed it being replied too...

Yes, lets definately get to talking! And thanks for the info at present!

For the uniforms, at present, it looks like the men of the 1st and 13th Cavalry Regiments or the 7th Cavalry Brigade (MECZ) were wearing standard cavalry uniforms. The "crash-helmet" differs a lot from that of the Infantry Tank crews in that it has a brow-pad rather than the silly "donut".

From the AWESOME Life on line collection, images of Combat Car crews circa 1938. They're labeled as "Armored Force" of 1940. However, the images appear elsewhere in 1939:

http://images.google.com/hosted/lif...zed+source:life&hl=en&imgurl=228e818826e65b47

http://images.google.com/hosted/lif...zed+source:life&hl=en&imgurl=d89884ec890e40a0

At present, my "kit" consists of an original pair of breeches and a pair of White's Boots 16" "Farmer-ranchers" that were made to the same standard (16", brown) as the cavalry boot (and doubel as motorcycle boots).
Here's a tip for you: I recognize the goggles in the first pic as type M1938 tanker's goggles. They're being reproed now and are for sale at WPG.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hey Fletch,

Thanks for that. I have been eyeing-up those goggles but just haven't made the plunge yet. They're identical to goggles you see civilian motorcyclists wearing. Sold via-Harley and Indian dealers.

Here are a few 1930s and early 1940s images pertinent to the mechanization of the Cavalry, Infantry (Tanks) and Armored Force. Found on-line in various places (need to start keeping notes of "where" I find them...). In no particular order...

2ztk3ea.jpg

2d15ir.jpg

209q4ns.jpg

2qsti4i.jpg

o09cp5.jpg

33l2q83.jpg

33cywd4.jpg

PoohBang

Suspended
growing up, my neighbor was in WWII in the Calvary.

He delighted me stories of the war and showed me some of the stuff he bought back.

He was stationed for most of the war using mules on the Hump...

alden405

A-List Customer
PoohBang said:
growing up, my neighbor was in WWII in the Calvary.

He delighted me stories of the war and showed me some of the stuff he bought back.

He was stationed for most of the war using mules on the Hump...

If he was a Cavalryman and ended up in the CBI he could have been in the 124th Cavalry regiment or a Cavalry trained replacement for the 475th Infantry

PoohBang

Suspended
alden405 said:
If he was a Cavalryman and ended up in the CBI he could have been in the 124th Cavalry regiment or a Cavalry trained replacement for the 475th Infantry

I'm not sure of his unit. I know he was 6 foot 200 pounds and he said any man that was that big was sent to the calvary. I know he walked supplies over the hump and fought the Japanese. I think he used mostly mules. I remember he said they cut the mules tongues out so they wouldn't make any noise when they moved supplies.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
He could well be Mexican- no attempt at a joke. His breeches definately look German but the hat a little less "Germanic". I've seen a few images of Mexican officers in the 1920-40 period as observers here in the US. The men were officers, with khaki cotton uniforms, with very "Germanesque" breeches and boots.

Here's a good image of the Mexican hat of the period... knew I'd seen something in the Google Life archives. Enlisted men, but the same pattern hat (or pretty close)

snm7pt.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
V.C. Brunswick said:
That's a great shot of the M2A3 light tank with the characteristic "Mae West" twin turrets. Though it's a bit hard to tell, the guy on the left with the binoculars looks like a German military attache/observer.

Although we were not yet at war with Germany, I doubt that a military official from that country would be ovserving a U.S. military demonstration in late 1941. As cbrunt posits, it might be a Mexican, or perhaps other "Latin" American official.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Marine mule train draws Rose Parade plaudits
January 1, 2010 | 9:44 am

A Marine mule pack shuffling along the Rose Parade route drew raucous applause from spectators.

"Thank you for your service!" shouted one man.

No, the animals won't be going to Afghanistan. Rather, they are helping train Marines who will contract for local mules to transport guns and supplies when they arrive in that mountainous country.

"They're just as heroic as any other Marine," said the Marine Corps' Jason Dahl.

And yeah, Dahl added, they can be a bit stubborn.

"When they're having a bad day, they'll let you know," he said. "They've got more personality than some people I know."

-- Robert Faturechi

draws

Practically Family
Story said:
Marine mule train draws Rose Parade plaudits
January 1, 2010 | 9:44 am

A Marine mule pack shuffling along the Rose Parade route drew raucous applause from spectators.

"Thank you for your service!" shouted one man.

No, the animals won't be going to Afghanistan. Rather, they are helping train Marines who will contract for local mules to transport guns and supplies when they arrive in that mountainous country.

"They're just as heroic as any other Marine," said the Marine Corps' Jason Dahl.

And yeah, Dahl added, they can be a bit stubborn.

"When they're having a bad day, they'll let you know," he said. "They've got more personality than some people I know."

-- Robert Faturechi
Story, in addition I did take note of the McClellan saddles the mounted unit had. They looked to be real Macs and the brass beautifully polished. I don't think they'd be riding repros for sure. Beautifull mounted unit.

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
Now we are entering an area of interest for me. I would really appreciate any and all information about Mexican Army officer's uniforms of the period. THAT is an impression I have been dying to put together for years!

V.C. Brunswick said:
That's a great shot of the M2A3 light tank with the characteristic "Mae West" twin turrets. Though it's a bit hard to tell, the guy on the left with the binoculars looks like a German military attache/observer.

draws

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
Wow, great topic. My great-grandfather was in the cavalry pre-WWI. In Pursuit of Honor, inaccurate though it may be, is one of my favorite films.

-Dave
Just a thought. Since this topic is 1930s Cavalry, I would suggest that a new topic be opened for WW1 and prior Cavalry (Mexican and American). There is much info being held back because it may be for that time period. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy