Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s Cavalry- Mechanized and Horse

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
alden405 said:
militaryhorse is actually pretty open to all grown up war talk

cavalry uniform was the same for horsed or mech during this period

one big difference was spurs didn't get worn in half tracks or combat cars

having just said that i do have some pics of combat car crew members wearing spurs,so go figure

Don't know if this is accurate, or supposed to be a humorous version, but considering most pilots of the day, came from the cavalry...

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WAR OFFICE

Dept. of the Army Regulations For Operation Of Aircraft Commencing January 1920

1. Don't take the machine into the air unless you are satisfied it will fly.

2. Never leave the ground with the motor leaking.

3. Don't turn sharply when taxiing. Instead of turning sharp, have someone lift the tail around.

4. In taking off, look at the ground and the air.

5. Never get out of the machine with the motor running until the pilot relieving you can reach the motor controls.

6. Pilots should carry hankies in a handy place to wipe off goggles.

7. Riding on the steps, wings, or rail of the machine is prohibited.

8. In case the engine fails on takeoff, land straight ahead regardless of obstacles.

9. No machine must taxi faster than a man can walk.

10. Never run motor so that blast will blow on other machines.

11. Learn to gauge altitude, especially on landing.

12. If you see another machine near you, get out of the way.

13. No two cadets should ever ride together in the same machine.

14. Do not trust altitude instruments.

15. Before you begin a landing glide, see that no machines are under you.

16. Hedge-hopping will not be tolerated.

17. No spins on back or tail sides will be indulged in as they unnecessarily strain the machines.

18. If flying against the wind and you wish to fly with the wind, don't make a sharp turn near the ground. You may crash.

19. Motors have been known to stop during a long glide. If pilot wishes to use motor for landing, he should open the throttle.

20. Don't attempt to force the machine onto the ground with more than flying speed. The result is bounding and ricocheting.

21. Pilots will not wear spurs while flying.

22. Do not use aeronautical gasoline in cars or motorcycles.

23. You must not take off or land closer than 50 feet to the hanger.

24. Never take a machine into the air until you are familiar with it's controls and instruments.

25. If an emergency occurs while flying, land as soon as possible.

alden405

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
Great photo! Appears to be early-WWII, based on the Cavalrymen to the left of the honor guard. When I participated in a cavalry brigade change of command some years ago, there was a similar mounted honor guard as part of the ceremony. Commands were given to all of us by a trumpeter, and it was quite an experience.

Its July of 1943

4th Cavalry Brigade(9th and 10th Cavalry Regiments) in review for CIC,USA

The colour guard is wearing a curious dress combination,if you look down they aare wearing 3 strap boots with the blues pieces

I wonder if the antique uniforms are antique or costume pieces??

alden405

A-List Customer
img198.jpg
img199.jpg
img200.jpg

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I'm always interested in Cavalry, horse or mech. I used to command B Troop, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment in the mid-80's at Ft. Bliss. Brave Rifles!

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
U.S Special Forces engaging the Taliban from Horse back

:eek:fftopic: (a bit, but still extremely interesting!) While it's true this unit is not your typical Cavalry Unit, but I am just amazed at the professionalism, courage and warrior spirit of the United States Special Forces. They will do what ever it takes to complete their mission.

th_spc.jpg

U.S. special forces working with the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan have ridden in cavalry charges against Taliban militia positions, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz said.

``In Afghanistan, a country we think of in somewhat medieval terms, our special forces have taken a page from the past, from the history of the horse cavalry with our soldiers armed with swords and rifles, maneuvering on horseback,'' Wolfowitz said in a speech last night.

The Pentagon has said in general terms that U.S. special forces are working with Northern Alliance units to improve their military tactics, coordinate among their factions and direct strikes by U.S. aircraft against Taliban targets.

Wolfowitz read excerpts from declassified field reports that describe some of the experiences of those special forces in battle.

``I am advising a man on how best to employ light infantry and horse cavalry in the attack against Taliban T-55 (tanks), mortars, artillery, personnel carriers and machine guns -- a tactic which I think became outdated with the invention of the Gatling gun,'' wrote one commando in an October 25 report, Wolfowitz said. ``They have done this every day we have been on the ground.''

``I have observed a gunner who walked 10 plus miles to get to the fight, who was proud to show me his artificial right leg from the knee down,'' said the report.

The dispatch relayed how Northern Alliance horsemen ``bounded from spur to spur to attack Taliban strong points -- the last several kilometers under mortar, artillery fire. They have killed over 125 Taliban while losing only eight,'' the commando wrote.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
More on ODA 595

:eek:fftopic: Published on: 3/7/2005 Last Visited: 7/7/2006
The leader of the dozen-man 595 was Capt. Mark D. Nutsch.Throughout the Afghanistan operation, the Pentagon insisted that reporters identify Special Forces personnel by their first names only, claiming this was necessary to protect their families back home from possible terrorist reprisals.But the Army waived that concern in April, when,at the instigation of his Army superiors,the Kansas state Legislature passed a resolution of both houses honoring Captain Nutsch, a 33-year-old native of Kansas.Nutsch,s wife, Amy, and their baby daughter, Kaija, born while Nutsch was in Afghanistan, were present at the very public ceremony.Contacted recently by NEWSWEEK about the container deaths, Nutsch said he did not want to discuss them.
:eek:fftopic:
I held and rocked his baby girl before he was able to.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Big Baby Macoy said:
:eek:fftopic: (a bit, but still extremely interesting!) While it's true this unit is not your typical Cavalry Unit, but I am just amazed at the professionalism, courage and warrior spirit of the United States Special Forces. They will do what ever it takes to complete their mission.

th_spc.jpg

Proof that the horse Cavalry should never have been totally discarded. More horses were used in WWII than the Great War, and despite obvious initial logistical difficulties, horses can be employed in many places around the globe easier than mechanized vehicles.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
:eek:fftopic: Published on: 3/7/2005 Last Visited: 7/7/2006
The leader of the dozen-man 595 was Capt. Mark D. Nutsch.Throughout the Afghanistan operation, the Pentagon insisted that reporters identify Special Forces personnel by their first names only, claiming this was necessary to protect their families back home from possible terrorist reprisals.But the Army waived that concern in April, when,at the instigation of his Army superiors,the Kansas state Legislature passed a resolution of both houses honoring Captain Nutsch, a 33-year-old native of Kansas.Nutsch,s wife, Amy, and their baby daughter, Kaija, born while Nutsch was in Afghanistan, were present at the very public ceremony.Contacted recently by NEWSWEEK about the container deaths, Nutsch said he did not want to discuss them.
:eek:fftopic:
I held and rocked his baby girl before he was able to.

:eusa_clap

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Story said:
RudyCabigas.jpg

Rudy Cabigas, a retired San Jose Fire Department Captain, representing a Filipino trooper of the legendary the 26th Cavalry, Philippine Scouts. His father and an uncle served with the 26th.

http://www.philippine-scouts.org/

Great pic! I checked out the website. Was hoping to find out more about Rudy. There has to be a great back story to go with that photo. It's great that he would honor his father, and uncle that way.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
RudyCabigas.jpg

Rudy Cabigas, a retired San Jose Fire Department Captain, representing a Filipino trooper of the legendary the 26th Cavalry, Philippine Scouts. His father and an uncle served with the 26th.

http://www.philippine-scouts.org/

Interesting that the Philippine Scouts were still using sabers. I believe that U.S. Cavalrymen stopped being issued the item around 1935. Great way to honor his family line.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi Guys,

Though I created this thread, somehow I missed it being replied too...

Yes, lets definately get to talking! And thanks for the info at present!

For the uniforms, at present, it looks like the men of the 1st and 13th Cavalry Regiments or the 7th Cavalry Brigade (MECZ) were wearing standard cavalry uniforms. The "crash-helmet" differs a lot from that of the Infantry Tank crews in that it has a brow-pad rather than the silly "donut".

From the AWESOME Life on line collection, images of Combat Car crews circa 1938. They're labeled as "Armored Force" of 1940. However, the images appear elsewhere in 1939:

http://images.google.com/hosted/lif...zed+source:life&hl=en&imgurl=228e818826e65b47

http://images.google.com/hosted/lif...zed+source:life&hl=en&imgurl=d89884ec890e40a0

At present, my "kit" consists of an original pair of breeches and a pair of White's Boots 16" "Farmer-ranchers" that were made to the same standard (16", brown) as the cavalry boot (and doubel as motorcycle boots). The hook-and-eyes are on the "outside" of the boot but on the inside only eyelets are used. Not being a horse guy, I'm told (and it makes sense) that the hook-and-eyes are not used on the inside so as to avoid snagging or catching on the saddle and/or tack.

When I get home I'll post some other images I've trolled over the years... (internet Nazis here have blocked all image hosting sites...)
Clint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran