Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Flat Caps - Where to Buy Them?

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
Hello,
Can anyone advise me as to where to find (purchase) 1930's style flat caps? By this I mean ones that measure 12'' in diameter and are either 'flat' or sectioned in 8 pieces. I have one modern-made one which is excellent by a company called 'Olney' but to order from them directly you need to purchase 12 by special order and wait 6 months. I did spot one by Ralph Lauren in the new issue of Classic Style magazine but I could not find this on the Polo website. Can anyone please advise me? Thanks!

Salv

One Too Many
Hi Pandora - for 8-piece caps, since you're in London:

• Sam Walker in Endell Street in Covent Garden has a few - I bought a nice flecked grey tweed cap there;
  • try the various Scottish shops along the lower end of Regent Street for more tweed caps;
  • and if you can get down to Windsor the Edinburgh Woolen Mills shop opposite the front entrance to Windsor Castle has a good selection of Harris tweed caps - I bought an excellent blue flecked Harris tweed cap there.
There's always eBay - I bought a brown felted wool cap earlier this year. Search for gatsby cap or newsboy cap and you should find some.

art92101

One of the Regulars
"gatsby" cap without the snap?

Does anyone retail the newsboy cap without the snap? I like the style and know that I can get custom without the snap. But I try one on before I pay for it. And i'd like to see th larger size too w/o the snap. Your help is appreciated! Thanks! Happy New Year!

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
B!Wear makes a nice cap, but I just recently got one that's made by Jonathan Richard in Ireland - and I think it's the most like a 1920's/30's cap that I've found. They're like what you see in the Sears catalogs from that period.

I got it from Bencraft Hats in Brooklyn, and it's actually a 6 panel cap (even though it says 8 on the website), in donegal tweed.

Joel

Speedster

Practically Family
Salv said:
Excellent link Speedster, thanks! I didn't know that one.

I did not know it either until November, when i bought one cheap off the UK ebay.

I just had a look in it this morning. It's made by Olney especially for The Classic Caps Company.

Salv

One Too Many
The traditional hatters in St. James' are the obvious place to try - so obvious I forgot about them - although they are the most expensive.

Edward Bates Ltd at 21a Jermyn Street have various tweed caps starting at £48 for the Gatsby
gatsby.jpg

James Lock at 6 St. James' Street have a larger range of caps. They call their 8-piece caps the Sandwich which comes in four herringbone tweeds and two plain tweeds for £95

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Salv said:
The traditional hatters in St. James' are the obvious place to try - so obvious I forgot about them - although they are the most expensive.

Edward Bates Ltd at 21a Jermyn Street have various tweed caps starting at £48 for the Gatsby
gatsby.jpg

Salv, I ordered one of those but wasn't too happy with it - although I did keep it and I wear it occasionally. It doesn't look 'big' enough if you get what I mean -and yes it is the right size for me ! I might just order one of those Baker Boy 12 'Big 'Un' from Classic Cap Co. THANKS Speedster for the tip - never heard of them before

Colin
PC250009.jpg
[/IMG]

Salv

One Too Many
silhouette53 said:
Salv, I ordered one of those but wasn't too happy with it - although I did keep it and I wear it occasionally. It doesn't look 'big' enough if you get what I mean -and yes it is the right size for me ! I might just order one of those Baker Boy 12 'Big 'Un' from Classic Cap Co. THANKS Speedster for the tip - never heard of them before

Colin

If it's the cap in the photo I see what you mean - maybe the typical Bates customer just doesn't like a larger cap. I'm drawn towards those Big 'Uns as well. In fact I have a suit in a fabric very much like that one at the bottom of Speedsters page, although the check isn't quite as large and bold.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
art92101 said:
Does anyone retail the newsboy cap without the snap? I like the style and know that I can get custom without the snap. But I try one on before I pay for it. And i'd like to see th larger size too w/o the snap. Your help is appreciated! Thanks! Happy New Year!

I'd decide on the one I liked with snap, ask if you can order one to try on and then return to be custom-made without the snap.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Nice to meet you, Silhouette53

I see what you mean by the cap not being full enough for your taste. However, I recently lost my beloved German Shepherd of 13 1/2 years and was taken aback by the picture. What a magnificent friend.

analogist

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw