Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s hairstyles with long hair?

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to create a mid 1930s (1933-36), without needing to cut my hair? It reaches my mid to lower back, about 22 inches from end to end & I would prefer being able to create such a style, but not cutting my hair, so that I could do 1940s & other era styles. My hair is somewhat thick & relatively straight. Are there any ways to accomplish a nice curly, bouncy, short (chin-length) looking 1930s hairstyle without the chopping off? I'm not ready to commit to the style as far as cutting my hair, but would like a look-before-I-buy sort of thing.

Thank you to all,
Sarah

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
If memory serves in the 1st edition of Lauren Rennells Vintage Hairstyling there's a 'do which replicates a short 30's-style 'do with long hair. I've not seen the 2nd ed., so can't comment on that one.

Long hair in the 30's always makes me think of the actress Ann Harding, who always seemed to wear a chignon and some waving in her films.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If you put your hair in a bun and did finger waves on your scalp, you might get a 30's look. And there is the Veronica Lake look. There is a thread on what to do with long hair. I'd also check out the everyday women of the vintage era thread for inspiration.

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
I actually just watched a move recently from 1930 called Extravagance - you can actually view it online for free...anyway, the point is I was really shocked when I saw the lead female actress had long hair - like at least to her shoulders, maybe a little bit past that.

It is actually a good film to see what they wore when just lounging around the house with the hair not done up. Then, when she is out and about, she has it all tucked up neatly in a little bun at the back of her head. When her hair is down, it gives a good view of what the curls looked like from top to bottom -looked like finger waves at the crown but seemed to become more like curls at the bottom.

Either way I recommend watching the movie - it was really fascinating to see an old film before the strict censorship laws of the mid 30's...wow is there a lot of scandal is that one...and she even says "damn!" Gasp! ;-)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I have long hair, too, and I'm actually able to roll it up into a faux bob.

I set it in rag curls at night so it has texture, then I just comb the top and section the curls in half, like pig tails. Then I literally just roll each half up into a sort of horizontal tube and pin it into place (it takes a lot of pins!). You can manipulate the shape of the rolls to your desired height, like shoulder length, ear length, etc. I hope that makes sense...
Anyway, people are always asking me, amazed, if I got a haircut, so I guess it works ;)

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I'd love to see your hair looks like like that RodeoRose. In your blog it's always either up or long. :)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I'd love to see your hair looks like like that RodeoRose. In your blog it's always either up or long. :)

OK, I don't have any good pictures, I'm afraid; these are all extreme crops from other pictures, so excuse the blurriness! Also, I just figured out how to do this style a few weeks ago, so my attempts are a bit messy (my bangs were really wonky the day I took these :eusa_doh:)
But here's a look:

The front:
fauxbob1-1.jpg

The back:
backfauxbob-2-1.jpg

Front again:
fauxbob2-1.jpg

Augh, sorry to bombard you with pics! Also, for more on how to do it, it's essentially a modification of this hairstyle, only looser and not across the front. Once I've mastered fingerwaves, that will make the look complete, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo