Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Ladies Sportswear

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Mary, that sweater is great! I love the buckle idea :)

Unfortunately, that site went down and when my last computer crashed I lost ALL the info I had put up :( I'll try to work on getting another sportswear page up this summer. I don't really know of other sites up that deal with 30s sportswear.

Mary

Practically Family
Unfortunately, that site went down and when my last computer crashed I lost ALL the info I had put up :(

Oh, Lauren. This is just awful. All that work. If I only know some kind of hacker.:eusa_doh:

Lauren

Wonderful, Lizzie! I love the clothing you have pictures of. So much fun!

Someday I'll work on my website again... Thank you Jetgirl, for the link! I didn't know you could retrieve old text!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
Wonderful, Lizzie! I love the clothing you have pictures of. So much fun!

Someday I'll work on my website again... Thank you Jetgirl, for the link! I didn't know you could retrieve old text!

You're welcome. I looove that site for internet archeology. Sometimes it archives the photos as well, I don't know why or why not it does. Or maybe I just like to say the "Internet Wayback Machine"... sounds so retro futuristic.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
So what do you think of this jacket shape?

I have a couple books that reprint the Sears catalogs from the 30's; I love the sports jackets they have in there. But true 30's jackets, wool or leather, are in very short supply and very expensive. I do however seem to find 70's jackets that look very similar to the 30's sports jacket shape. What do you think of this shape for the collar? (this is not the jacket, this is Johanna Ost from her blog, she has great style). I've found this collar and a similar cut for a couple of 70's vintage jackets, although some have buttoned rather than zipped (and I now see that this jacket is long, pretend it stops at the waist). And some I have found have been a cute plaid.

1149519537_913ea247d0.jpg

D

Deleted member 12480

Hey, i don't think i can see your site, could it be cause i'm UK?

Really gutted cause it was just a site with a domain name up for sale and links to JJB sports. :/

I'd love to see your site and finding it slightly annoying that half of the links and pictures people put up don't shop up. :/

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Jetgirl, some 70s leather or suede jackets are actually pretty good copies of 30s ones. Joanna's is a good shape and the collar is fine. Lengths did vary from hip length to below the hip and longer to about mid calf, depending on when it was made and it's purpose.

I'm really sad that I saw a 30s green leather coat at the weekend that was labelled as 70s but it had been cut down, probably in the 70s, to knee length, leaving a buttonhole just above the knee!!!! It spoilt the whole line of it. Luckily it was 1) still really expensive and 2) too short in the arm for me, otherwise I might have cried. :cry:

Lauren

Noooo! That's a pity! Darn the 70s and their altering 30s clothes! I have a book published back then that tells how to do it and I seriously bought it at a secondhand store so no one would get any ideas.
And to make other vintage lovers cry. Oh, the torture!

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Looking at the leather jacket, I don't know if any of you are interested in repro stuff in this vein, but I totally love Clockwork Couture. They are mostly steampunk look, and range from pretty modern but quirky to really vintage inspired.

http://www.clockworkcouture.com/?q=node/495

they don't do animal products, so all the leather is pleather, if that matters to any of you one way or the other.

This is the one that has me drooling, I think it's just begging for a pencil skirt and boots
http://www.clockworkcouture.com/?q=airshipstewardess

still they do have a lot of pantaloon, bloomer, safari type women's activewear things.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the reply Miss Sis. I see the 70's jackets pop up and look pretty good. Yipes about cutting down the green coat! Green vintage always feels like such a treasure.

I can understand not making things in leather (for cost or vegans), but I wish they would make it in something other than pleather - basically plastic. i would pay more for that cute bomber in a heavy canvas.

Lauren

Ditto that. Or wool. That would look awesome in a nice brown wool.
Good. You talked me out of it ;) I'll make one someday for myself.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Yeah! A nice thick wool! I'll just dream.
Didn't mean to talk you out of it Lauren! I just know that no matter how cute something is, I just don't want to wear it if it's pleather.

Lauren

No, believe me... it's better you did. I've already been too naughty lately with shopping and I have my eyes on some shoes that are a little less than that... lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Even more tragic was that it was an English coat, probably making it twice as rare again. I probaly would have paid the £100 they were asking for it if it had been in it's original state. :(

Yes, curse those 70s people altering things! A lady once told me at a dance that in the late 60s she used to buy original 30s dresses in Portobello Market in London and SHRINK THEM BY BOILING THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: And that she had a pile about chest height of them. I honestly didn't know what to say to her.

Getting back to the thread, I will take a pic of my 30s green suede jacket - thankfully non-messed with - and post it soon as I get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21