Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s leather jackets: ad photos

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
From Apparel Arts, 1932:

newestmisc038.jpg

newestmisc064.jpg

newestmisc037.jpg

From Apparel Arts, 1937:

newestmisc051.jpg

newestmisc055.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A1 styled jacket...corking!!

Absolutely corking A-1'ish styled jacket there (the precursor to the more famous classic A-2 north American flying jacket). Particularly like the buttons at the bottom, as opposed to the popper snaps. That's some book you have there Marc!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
They sure did. Zippers were called "slide fasteners", and the dominant brand was "Talon". Talon actively promoted slide fasteners as a better alternative to button flies: they put whole-page ads for zippers in Esquire magazine issues throught the '30s.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
The Mad Hatter said:
Zippers in 1932. I thought they did not have them then.

Mad Hatter - there is a thread elsewhere in "general attire"about zippers. It petered out recently but I shall probably revive it when I have more time. Zippers can be the radiocarbon dating of vintage jackets!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I shall have to take a deep breath I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m so excited. You pushed my button Marc?¢‚Ǩ¬¶..

I love thirties leather jackets. In Britain you could find that kind of styling well into the 50s, particularly in the use of ?¢‚Ǩ?ìglove soft?¢‚Ǩ? leathers like calfskin, kidskin, capeskin etc. We never went for the heavy hides, and tended to favour the A2 style patch/flap pocket too.

Re the Air Corps A-1 connection, we could get into a chicken-egg discussion here. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m inclined to think jackets like the A-1 and A-2 were actually based on civilian styles rather than then other way round, but there does seem to have been a two-way thing going on with military combat gear and civilian sports/casual wear throughout the 30s and 40s. Incidentally, I have a great photo somewhere of Western Swing pioneers the Light Crust Doughboys posing in matching ?¢‚Ǩ?ìA-1?¢‚Ǩ? style jackets, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll see if I can dig it out.

Marc - or anyone - what is the style collar called in picture 4 (The Weathermaster VI). My favourite British jacket has that type collar. Is it very much a thirties thing? It would help me date the jacket to know, I think it is thirties but the styles were often very conservative over here till the mid 50s.

Baggers

Practically Family
rick5150 said:
That weathermaster VI rocks!

Almost looks like Aero's "Cossack" model without a chest pocket and only one pleat per side above the half belt in back. I'll post pictures as soon as mine gets here for comparison.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats