Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Makeup Tutorial

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Ooh, thanks for posting!
I've been wondering how those spider-leg lashes were done, like Jean Harlow's in this picture:
JeanHarlow.jpg

Especially the lower lashes. Do you think it's just mascara, or are they false? They could also be painted on. My mom says she drew on her lower lashes in the mid-sixties, for Twiggy eyes.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I found the tutorial yesterday and posted a short comment. I'm 'DrearSkaa'. This is the only place where I'm Lillemor. I'd change that if I could.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet, I can achieve that look with just layers of mascara, so I think it depends on how thick Harlow's lashes were. Many starlets needed false lashes applied, I know they had individual false lashes back then too. I would think it would look more unnatural if they had been drawn on, but who knows, they used all sorts of tricks for the photos.

twiggy.jpg

twiggy.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
All the moviestars wore false eyelashes in 20s, 30s and 40s. There are some pics you see where they have their natural lashes all mascare'd up - but in most glamour shots the long, thin top lashes were nearly always false.

Single lashes were used often on the bottom lid and in the corners of the top lid to extend the natural look of the lashes. I do this sometimes. Even Twiggy (above) wore falsies. There were hugely popular in the 60s. They even used little feathers sometimes...hehe.

Drea

New in Town
ShrinkingViolet said:
Ooh, thanks for posting!
I've been wondering how those spider-leg lashes were done, like Jean Harlow's in this picture:
JeanHarlow.jpg

Especially the lower lashes. Do you think it's just mascara, or are they false? They could also be painted on. My mom says she drew on her lower lashes in the mid-sixties, for Twiggy eyes.

Use false eyelashes the strip ones with eyelash glue! and I think Maybeline Great Lash is still my favorite mascara of all time! the one with the *pink bottle and the *green lid..it makes mine really rich and thick looking :) and liquid eyeliner is for sure a must! which is really good for doing those 60's cateye looks aswell!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Actually, in the 20's and 30's in the movies a lot of time they would melt wax onto the eyelashes. If you look at some of the extreme close ups you can tell. They started doing this in the 1910s.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Actually, in the 20's and 30's in the movies a lot of time they would melt wax onto the eyelashes. If you look at some of the extreme close ups you can tell. They started doing this in the 1910s.

Oh, that's interesting, I wonder how they did it, I will be looking for that when flipping through Doctor Macro's. In this stunning photograph of Gloria Swanson you can really see how wonderfully her lashes are made up.

Wonder what happened with her left eye here, maybe some make up smudging.

Clara Bow's lashes 1
Clara Bow's lashes 2

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Lauren said:

That's so neat! Is that the same technique they used for beaded eyelashes, as in this famous Man Ray photograph, with a little wax bead at the end of each lash?

tears_man_ray_060305.jpg

Drea

New in Town
Lauren said:

Thats really interesting!! I don't think I could do that though..I'm so glad there is much easier ways to achieve those looks these days! is there any other tutorials anybody would be really interested in seeing? this way more tutorials can be made :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
That's so neat! Is that the same technique they used for beaded eyelashes, as in this famous Man Ray photograph, with a little wax bead at the end of each lash?

tears_man_ray_060305.jpg

Oh, I love that photograph, isn't it Kiki de Montparnasse? She was so wonderful. Her eyes look almost like venus fly traps... With drops of early morning dew.

230px-Drosera_capensis_bend.JPG

Lauren

Yes, exactly- it was very popular to have the beaded drops on the ends of eyelashes. I wouldn't try it now, though- eyes are too sensitive to risk it and just think of what would happen if you scorched your eyelashes! :eek:

Lillemor

One Too Many
Wasn't the melted wax mascara the only one available in the 1920s? I had a friend in high school whose mother still swore to the hard cake kind you brush on. We tried it and failed miserably but I guess it's a matter of habit and preference. Her mother also swore by old fashioned kohl. I heard that kohl's high in lead though so I never tried it. Maybe it's just a myth.

Lauren

Lillemor said:
Wasn't the melted wax mascara the only one available in the 1920s? I had a friend in high school whose mother still swore to the hard cake kind you brush on. We tried it and failed miserably but I guess it's a matter of habit and preference. Her mother also swore by old fashioned kohl. I heard that kohl's high in lead though so I never tried it. Maybe it's just a myth.

Yes, it was either melted wax with pigment or Vaseline mixed with coal (the first Maybelline makeup). The way we have it now with a tube and a wand didn't come out until the 50's. I actually found a cake mascara here, and more if you do an internet search.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: Laura Chase you have the eye of an artist.
Laura Chase said:
Oh, I love that photograph, isn't it Kiki de Montparnasse? She was so wonderful. Her eyes look almost like venus fly traps... With drops of early morning dew.

230px-Drosera_capensis_bend.JPG

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Lauren said:
Yes, exactly- it was very popular to have the beaded drops on the ends of eyelashes. I wouldn't try it now, though- eyes are too sensitive to risk it and just think of what would happen if you scorched your eyelashes! :eek:

Urgh no, my eyesight is already poor enough as it is, thank you :rolleyes:
I bet there's false eyelashes available somewhere that recreate that beaded look.

Laura Chase, I didn't know it was Kiki de Montparnasse in that photograph ... but she seems to have been photographed a lot back then ... erm, in every imaginable way ;)

Does anyone else have tips or experiences with 1930's eye makeup? What about the vaseline on the eyelids trick? I'd love to hear more.

Lauren

Totally. Vaseline on the eyelids was so popular. I wouldn't do that, though- have you ever read the contents of Vaseline? :eek: I use this product by Benefit to get a similar look, not so shiny, but it works. They're actually discontinuing it! Sad...

And rouge around the apples of the cheeks in circles for the girl next door look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner