Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Naughty Nellie Bootjack

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked this up in Tennessee about 10 years ago. The antique dealer told me she was a "Naughty Nellie" from the 30's.
IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The original may have dated to the 1890's, but hundreds of thousands of reproductions were imported to this country form Taiwan in the 1970's, wholesaled to the antique trade and sold as fakes. I recall AA ANtique wholesalers of St Louis offering them for $6.50/doz. around 1980. AA, which is still in business (and is responsible for distributing most of the fake Depression Glass and Roseville pottery clogging antique malls) imported vast quantities of cast iron toys and novelties in the old days, along with a good deal of reproduction Victorian Art Glass. The Burmese that they sold is now collectable in tis own right, though (while pretty) it little resembles the genuine article. On the other hand, the Mother Of Pearl glass that they imported was every bit as good as the original, in some cases a bit better, for it was not defaced with carbon specks from coal-burning kilns. THIS 1960's reproduction glass generally sells for the same price as the real thing.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I have one, too, and use it (and enjoy it) regardless of its vintage.

The same firm offered a reproduction of the famous "Six-eyed Jimmy" novelty bottle opener (originally a WWI period piece). I regret not getting one when they were available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo