Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Wardrobe basics

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
texasgirl said:
1935 Montgomery Wards Catalog

wards1935women_Page_10.jpg

It says, "RINGLESS stocking!" and, "Free from Rings!" Call me silly, but what exactly does that mean? What sort of rings are they talking about?

Sunny

One Too Many
MadelienneBlack said:
It says, "RINGLESS stocking!" and, "Free from Rings!" Call me silly, but what exactly does that mean? What sort of rings are they talking about?
Well, there's an asterisk(*) after "RINGLESS," and the note says, "A new knitting process which makes stockings [clearer? sheerer?], lovelier than ever." I suspect that means that other stockings were knitted in such a way that lines, or rings, from the knitting were visible wrapping around the leg.

texasgirl said:
Here are a few I've been eyeing. I've never tried to sew clothing- I make qulits- but I keep thinking about learning.

My main -problem- is I have to have something for 1934- or earlier. For my reenacting.

I'm pretty curvy like you and here are a few I've saved for ideas. Any thoughts on these?

My thoughts:

I honestly like this one the least, probably because I'm always afraid a wrap dress will come undone! :D It also looks like an informal or housedress style, though, and that may not be best for what you're doing.
1682.jpg

The view on the right. Those buttons on the left-hand view could be... awkward...
1492.jpg

I like the seams on this one; definitely a very early 30s dress. If you're full-busted, though, those seams could also be awkward. There's still a very flat-chested, 1920s aesthetic to it.
t6895.jpg

I'd avoid the big puffy sleeves, but either of the other two is very elegant. I especially like view B for summer; elegant and cool without being fussy or juvenile.
t7451.jpg

The high waist and bust gathers may be tricky to fit on a curvier figure, and may not be as flattering. But who knows?
3007-web-pic.jpg
[/QUOTE]

texasgirl

One Too Many
Also, you know, Bonnie was "on the run"- she didn't really have a closet of dresses to pick from each day ;)

Yeah, I just like wrap dresses- oh well- It would be cute to just wear I guess.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
I own this one lol, so Im partial.

p30lg1318.jpg

LD
Great! I've had this one bookmarked for about a month, trying to figure out if it was worth the high price. When I first started looking at 30's patterns, this is the one the caught my eye immediately.

Lenah

New in Town
Prices

I can't get over the prices of the items. 4.98 for a leather jacket. If only that were 4.98 today - New. Wow.

Lenah

New in Town
That's an awesome calculator LD! I played around with it too, and the prices are pretty much the same. I never knew, I thought that even considering inflation, items would still be much cheaper in those days. Guess I was wrong!
I still wish it could be 4.98, in 2009 money, lol!!

VintageRed

Familiar Face
Lady Day said:
1682.jpg

This looks like a house dress to me. You wouldnt wear this out.

LD

I don't know, I tend to like this one a lot. Wrap dresses are normally very flattering to a fuller figure, and I would think depending on the fabric choice and print, you could make it look very "about town-ish"....

But I'm new, so I could be way out there in what used to be a perfectly good Yankee Stadium. ;)

~D.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I like it too, I have one in that style, but I (and as Sunny pointed out) am not making a suggestion, it is a house dress :)

Im sure if we were to read the description on the back of the envelope it would read 'house dress' or 'house frock', and like much of what the ladies in this thread who know way more than me are saying, clothing in the 30s was very event specific.

Im totally sure you could alter the pattern for a lovely day frock, but that pattern is a housedress pattern.

LD

VintageRed

Familiar Face
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend.... :eusa_doh:

I guess I didn't realize how authentic everyone is in their choices.

I apologize, and I'll keep my mouth shut and just keep learning the ropes.

~D. :eek:

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
ShoreRoadLady said:
Love the dress on the right. The beautiful thing about living today, of course, is that you can wear it any time you please. :)

Put a snap or large hook & eye at the waist on the opposite side, and possibly beneath the overlap to avoid gaping. And/or wear a slip underneath.

I agree...I have a friend who wears one of these out from time to time in the summer. They make a wonderful "from the beach, straight to the deck of the brew pub" cover-up. She dries off, wraps up, pins up her hair, paints on the red lips, and it is away we go.
It's vintage, and she looks so durned cute I coud eat her with a spoon.
Rules are made to be broken anyway. :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
One last one, what do y'all think of this? I think I would eliminate the buttonflaps on the boobs, though
p30lg1471.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Sis said:
I'm inclined to think that the higher neck on the view on the Right might not be so flattering on if you are larger busted. I'd go for a lower neckline myself if that is the case.

I like the lower neckline too. The plaid one is described as 'peek-a-boo' front where you wear a shell beneath, where as the red one has a zipper front.
Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

Kamikat, that one is lovely. Im a sucker for button backs. Make sure you dont contour the blouse too much, its suppose to be a bit 'blousy' at the belt.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm actually with Miss Sis and Lady Day... the dress is really cute, and I like it a lot, but the first thing I thought is that the peplum length might not be flattering for hips, but I'm not sure if that's a personal issue in fitting or not? [huh] I like the first one the best of the three you posted :D

I made up these for my cousin and they were quite flattering.
1930s dress with draped neckline
l_a702153e9bf0542e82d31d7bcd5535f8.jpg

Version on the right of this evening dress
l_849f10c0b993c11d45932426b4d19ab1.jpg

Re: the wrap dress- it is, indeed, a house dress. If you're going for authentic 30s it would just be for at home and doing housework, and usually not worn around company or out of the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21