Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Businessman's wardrobe

Jack Straw

New in Town
Mike I fee for you...

That's too bad they look at you like YOU'RE the oddball! You'd think they would have a bit more self respect. It does sound like you have a really cool job though. :D

Sylvester D

Familiar Face
I'm not sure if it has been addressed, but what kind of watch would you suggest go with a businessman's wadrobe. A heavy thick watch or a thin one?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Sylvester D said:
I'm not sure if it has been addressed, but what kind of watch would you suggest go with a businessman's wadrobe. A heavy thick watch or a thin one?

I'm sure you'll get conflicting answers, but my opinion is that a small, thin watch is more elegant, and therefore more appropriate for a businessman, than a big thick one.

Traditionally, leather bands are more formal than metal ones, light faces are more formal than dark ones, and I would guess Roman numerals more formal than Arabic numerals. It was once said that gold was preferable for watches worn in the daytime, and silver preferred for the evening, but I seriously doubt that anyone follows this anymore.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I agree with Orgetorix regarding favouing slimmer watches. Personally, I like my Rotary Elite; it is one of the cheaper decent mechanical watches AFAIK, white metal case with a curved mineral glass case, a nice deco-style dial with roman numerals and an inset sweep hand, rectangular in a style reminiscent of the classic Cartier Tanque Francaise. They also used to do a nice version of the Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso, which I thought was gimmicky but nice.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Its what you see Joe Pesci and Ray Liotta wearing in this picture.
joe_pesci1.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
Babydoll said:
Gentlemen, I have a "what would you do" question to pose.

Yesterday on my flight home from Portland, I noticed a young man (early 20s) across the aisle and up a row from me. The young man was wearing what appeared to be a modern suit and shiny Italian loafers that showed off his fancy socks. He appeared to be quite well put together as the colors he had were complimentary to one another, but had enough contrast in patterns of fabric that it was interesting to look at.

But then I noticed "IT"! The collar of his jacket was folded up in back.... exposing the raw, unfinished lining of his suit collar. :eek: I was mortified for him. Here he went to the extent of dressing so nicely, only to have it spoiled by the collar betraying how much his suit really cost him.

The mother in me wanted to reach over and fold down the collar for him, but I kept reminding myself that although I think that's a "normal" thing to do (I don't even flinch about tucking in someone's tag), he might think me a freak, and therefore I didn't do anything. The last I saw of him, he was making a mad dash for the train to take him to another sattelite of the airport to make his connecting flight.

So, for the big question: Would you have told him that his collar was up? And then promptly given him your tailor's card?

It's too bad nobody responded to this. Of course you should have told him. I'm sure he would have appreciated it, considering some thought went into his dress for that day. It's really no different than mentioning a protruding tag.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Babydoll said:
Gentlemen, I have a "what would you do" question to pose.

Yesterday on my flight home from Portland, I noticed a young man (early 20s) across the aisle and up a row from me. The young man was wearing what appeared to be a modern suit and shiny Italian loafers that showed off his fancy socks. He appeared to be quite well put together as the colors he had were complimentary to one another, but had enough contrast in patterns of fabric that it was interesting to look at.

But then I noticed "IT"! The collar of his jacket was folded up in back.... exposing the raw, unfinished lining of his suit collar. :eek: I was mortified for him. Here he went to the extent of dressing so nicely, only to have it spoiled by the collar betraying how much his suit really cost him.

The mother in me wanted to reach over and fold down the collar for him, but I kept reminding myself that although I think that's a "normal" thing to do (I don't even flinch about tucking in someone's tag), he might think me a freak, and therefore I didn't do anything. The last I saw of him, he was making a mad dash for the train to take him to another sattelite of the airport to make his connecting flight.

So, for the big question: Would you have told him that his collar was up? And then promptly given him your tailor's card?
Sadly, his collar being up was probably by design. I have noticed this trend alot lately. From polo shirts to jackets and overcoats. It looks horrible, especially from the back as the rough underside shows. All to often, its some sort of felt that is a completely different color than the suit!

Chad
ps...I would have said something, and hoped it guilted him into returning it to its proper position.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
I too have noticed it in trends latley and personally, I think alot of modern styles make the wearer look hung over and like they just got mugged, or like thier tailor needs alot more training.

ortega76

Practically Family
mike said:
business wardrobe list hmm? Well I have to say, I'm not so sure such a thing exists anymore! I mean, I work at 20th Century Fox in the Archives Dept. (also known as the best job in the whole dang-darn world!) but the idea of dressing up for work has been completely demolished! I hear on a regular occasion that how dressed up I am, makes my coworkers and superiors say they feel under-dressed (everyone here goes for the 'just rolled out of bed look'). I hear such things so often, I wonder if I really need to dress down just to not stick out and be a "problem", you know, big companies and individuals never really gel....

Meanwhile to give you an idea of the state of affairs here, I don't even wear a jacket to work! Notched lapel vest, button up shirt normally with white collar and various color rest of body (generally barrel cuff, although I opt for french cuffs on the weekends since I know it's too dressed up for work somehow..). sometime matching slacks to the vest I'm wearing (3 piece suit at the office is considered certainly overdressed) and various art deco or skinny ties. As far as vests again, I really like the victorian/edwardian look of virtually as many buttons as possible! haha

Perhaps off topic but, is anyone here a fan of the sack suit by the way?

AND! Going back on topic, what is happening in our culture if supervisors at a company owned by Rubert Murdoch can come in in t-shirts and worn jeans and I in a suit and tie get looked at like the oddball?! Are we one step away from adopting the loin cloth as the accepted form of dress again!? lol

I love a nice sack suit in navy. Classic and lovely- despite it's lack of popularity these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner