Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Businessman's wardrobe

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
For those who are going to work in the modern times and don't want to dress like you are going to work in the modern times I suggest the following for easy care and wear of the gentleman with a briefcase full of paperwork.

For the set that goes to work in a suit and comes home and likes to look retro eccentric though has modern goods as well.

I always like to start a wardrobe off with a grey suit. It combines with more and doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t get as boring as a navy suit. After you know your fit here?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s what is required for the basic clean cut businessman. 3-piece and double breasted suits are a matter of preference, I go three piece single usually, though variety is the spice.

focus on 1930's

On the budget
from the top down.

2 fedoras 1 grey 1 brown
1 homburg or bowler
1 boater
1 panama
5 suits 1 grey 1 navy 1 striped (grey or navy) 1 brown 1 tropical linen
3 sport coats 1 Brown patterned 1 blue patterned 1 solid black
1 Tuxedo
1 dress suit (tails)
1 navy blazer
1 wool scarf
2 satin/silk/rayon scarfs
1 overcoat
1 raincoat
10 dress shirts 4 white 6 patterned and colored
40 ties some wool some silk 1 linen.
4 collar bars
4 tie bars for the windy days
6 pair wool dress trousers 2 in grey flannel
3 pair linen dress trousers that compliment and can be mixed with linen suit jacket

2 belts leather 1 black 1 brown
5 pair dress shoes 1 pair brown and 2 pair black 1 pair with rubber soles for comfort 1 pair patent leather for dress
1 umbrella
12 white handkerchiefs
5 patterned handkerchiefs - find vintage
1 wallet black or brown
1 briefcase black or brown
1 watch 30's wind up, pocket or wrist

away from the office

3 pair pajamas
2 tweed caps
1 linen cap
2 two-tone jackets
1 leather jacket, for the ladies to swoon over
5 patterned casual buttonable shirts... Gabardine shirts are now out of fashion though can be had for a song at the right vintage store
t- shirts black and navy and some striped, fitted preffered
4 sweaters
3 pair soft shoes, one retro for the feel of looking rad!
3 pair khakis WWII repro, bill's or K1
3 pair jeans wide leg roll up the cuffs big and fat
1 pair casual unconstructed linen trousers
1 pair slippers
1 terry cloth robe
1 satin robe
Lots of socks and underwear

This list will evolve

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I would say ditch the black belt and the black shoes. With the suit colors you listed there is no reason for them. Substitute one pair of patent leather shoes to go with the dinner jacket, and a couple pairs of suspenders to go with the suits.

Also, I am not quite sure about the tailcoat in general...

Other than that, this list is a great start!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The list is still growing

samfedor.jpg

dressed2the9's

Familiar Face
BRAZIL IS IN MY OPINION THE BEST FIM EVER MADE AMERICAN OR INTERNATIONALLY I'VE EVER SEEN. I agree Gattica was a very good movie too but you should really, and I bet your love it is Dark City. By the way for the buisness man I woul suggest instead of 1 brown and 1 grey fedora, 1 brown, and 1 light grey and 1 dark grey fedora both open crown and for the tailcoat is not needed unless you have silk plush top hat to go with it and some spats. Also maye a 3 styles of casul vests like cardigans or v necks and 2 dress vests.

"CAN YOU DIG IT" John SHAFT

Wild Root

Gone Home
Vladimir Berkov said:
I would say ditch the black belt and the black shoes. With the suit colors you listed there is no reason for them.

Also, I am not quite sure about the tailcoat in general...

Other than that, this list is a great start!

BUSHWAW I say! Are you off your rocker? Any gentle man knows that one must have a pair of black shoes and a black belt! Would you say that a black belt would be worn with brown shoes or the other way around? Makes no sense to me.

What have you against the classiest formal wear in the history of men's fashion? I'm speaking in regards to a fine set of tails. Have you been kicking back some of "Grand Dad's" old cough medicine? You don't really sound like your self there friend.;)

Matt Deckard, you stated this: Gabardine shirts are now out of fashion though can be had for a song at the right vintage store.

I just have to say that I just about fell out of my chair laughing! In fact it's the funniest thing I've heard all year! Obviously you don't see the high priced gab shirts with stains and holes in them at AAARDVARK'S or other vintage shops! Heck, the nice mint ones go for $60-$80 bucks these days!!!

Don't forget to ad a nice pair of white bucks for casual spring or summer time wear! Oh, and a nice pair of ivory flannels to wear them with!

Other then that, I think it's a super list!!!
=WR=

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
BUSHWAW I say! Are you off your rocker? Any gentle man knows that one must have a pair of black shoes and a black belt! Would you say that a black belt would be worn with brown shoes or the other way around? Makes no sense to me.

What have you against the classiest formal wear in the history of men's fashion? I'm speaking in regards to a fine set of tails. Have you been kicking back some of "Grand Dad's" old cough medicine? You don't really sound like your self there friend.;)

Well, I don't own a black belt. I do have a pair of black shoes however. I think everybody should have one pair of black shoes at least, but since this is a "starter" list based on the colors of suits chosen by Matt I think two pairs is excessive. The only reason to wear black shoes is for an interview, funeral, etc. Or to wear with a charcoal suit (which isn't on the list.) And for those more formal occassions suspenders work better than belts, and are more versatile as they don't need to match your shoes like a belt does.

As for the tailcoat, I think it is something you buy only once you have absolutely everything else you need. It isn't something for a "starter" list. For example, I have worn white tie and tails exactly once in my 23 years (when my sister was a debutante) and this seems to be a great anomaly among my law school brethren. Most of the people I know at law school not only have never worn white tie and tails, they cannot concieve of any situation where they would ever need them. Heck, I can count the number of people who own their own tuxedo on one hand.

Basically my point is just that for a person putting together a business wardrobe a tailcoat is an very unnecessary expense. Once you have everything you could ever need in a business wardrobe and you want to buy something for "fun" that's when you put together your white tie and tails ensemble.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I wear what ever I will where ever I will, I'm an individual who brakes away from the rest of the flock. I'll wear tails to nice dances and a vintage set of tails is less expensive then a new one and if you do it right, it will cost you the price of a rental that you can keep for ever.

I feel good knowing I have it at the ready when I may need it, it's a nice feeling.

=WR=

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
According to the list I have enough suits for a businessman, and yet as I college student I'm totally not satsfied? I have more suits than shirts.

Don't have the tailcoat yet though, I think my tuxedo should hold me over through college.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Mores the pity that....

A: More men do not have tails as a basic in their wardrobe
B: That there are not more occaisions where a man can wear them.
C: That as the years go by they are slipping further into the distance.

I like Wild Root have a full Tails outfit in my wardrobe including a collapsable top hat, and if the slightest excuse comes up to wear them, then they are on in an instant! I absolutely love my tails, they are by far the best outfit a civilian man can ever wear.

Mine were tailored in 1932 and are still in excellent condition. I have an arrow shirt that buttons at the back, a full backed waistcoat, patent slipons, detachable arrow collars and a great white silk scarf. If my house was buring down, they would be one of the first things I would want to grab, after all my family were safe of course!

Cheers

Peter

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MEN'S JEWELRY FOR EVENING WEAR (1920s-'30s)

A full set of evening dress studs (for black tie) included double-sided cufflinks, two (or at most, three) very small shirt studs, and four waistcoat studs. The waistcoat studs -- which exactly matched the cufflinks and shirt studs -- were meant be attached to the front of the waistcoat (either single or double-breasted). They were almost always faced in onyx, which was ringed in sterling silver, white gold, platinum, or even tiny diamonds. Sometimes a diamond or tiny pearl would be centered in the onyx.

A full set of evening dress studs (for white tie) also included double-sided cufflinks, one or usually two (but never three) very small shirt studs, and four waistcoat studs (for single or double-breasted waistcoats). They were almost always faced in mother-of-pearl, which was ringed in white gold or platinum. Surprisingly, white tie dress studs were generally simpler-looking than their black tie cousins.

In the '20s, it was especially fashionable for men to wear pocket watches and watch chains with evening waistcoats. The most elegant pocket watches for eveing wear had white gold or platinum cases. Watch chains had quite thin links, made of white gold or platinum.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
dressed2the9's said:
Tails for me is for any special occasion, but you have to go with the silk or beaver silk plush top hat with it.
tux4br.jpg

You look great in those tails! The only comment I would make is that you seem to be wearing black studs on your shirt. They should be white mother of pearl for White Tie.

Other than that you look very dapper.

Cheers

Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner