Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1933 Belted Back TREASURE

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

After work yesterday, I stopped by a certain Melrose Avenue vintage clothing store which usually has nothing special, but the prices are good.

Jackpot isn't the word. For $75, they had a TREASURE: a 1933-'35 (but probably '33, due to the trim lapels) belted-back DB suit in light grey flannel, whose jacket has a pleated breast pocket and pleated hip pockets.

Size is 39 R -- it fits me. (The jacket appears short because that was the style of the time.) The trousers have "British" reverse pleats and big 2" cuffs. Condition is used perfect: that is to say, it's not deadstock, but it doesn't have any holes, stains, fraying, rips, odors, shininess, dinginess, or fading.

Note the smooth, streamlined chest: this is definitely not a drape suit! Note, too, the NRA tag, which dates it to between '33 and '35.

The butterscotch bakelite "lozenge" buttons are definitely from the era, but might not be original to this suit. I don't like them much, and might get some old grey bakelite buttons to replace them.

Anyway, enjoy the visual education! (Sad to say, none of the other suits at the store were worth looking at.)

AuctionphotosApil090.jpg

AuctionphotosApil091.jpg

AuctionphotosApil088.jpg

AuctionphotosApil089.jpg

AuctionphotosApil084.jpg

AuctionphotosApil087.jpg

AuctionphotosApil086.jpg

AuctionphotosApil085.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Magnificent!

This one's going in my Copy This file.

About those buttons - they may not have been that color originally. Early plastics tended to be unstable in pigmentation, fading and yellowing to amber shades over time.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't like double breasted suits all that much, but I love that one.
You scored big time.
Maybe if I stop buying so many hats, I'd have the money to get a copy made.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I tend to prefer drape suits myself, but this one feels just fine on. For a while, at least, it's a keeper. :)

If it's not too hot on the evening of July 1st, I'll probably wear it to Maxwell DeMille's Cicada Club event at the Oviatt building in downtown L.A.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Could this suit be the find of the year? I can't imagine anyone finding a better treasure than this. What a gem! The sports back with the centre pleat is something else. This has been your week for suits, huh, Marc? I'm glad that you took the time to check out that vintage store yesterday (but not as glad as you are! :D ), that suit will now be cherished and looked after as it should be.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Benny Holiday said:
This has been your week for suits, huh, Marc?

Many thanks! Odd thing is, that belted back suit was half the price of the black diagonal stripe suit ... yet it could probably fetch twice as much (on eBay).

Even odder, that vintage clothing store is oneI haven't bothered to go to for years. Really don't know what made me do so yesterday. It was there, in 1985, that I bought my very first piece of vintage clothing: a heavy grey '30s overcoat with an NRA tag in it. Wonder what ever happened to it ...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It looks quite fitted - have you pinned it for the photos?

Spectacular and very beautiful! Great color - given that it is hard to even find trousers in a light grey flannel - wow.

Seventy-Five dollars!!!!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
scotrace said:
It looks quite fitted - have you pinned it for the photos?

Spectacular and very beautiful!

Thanks, Scott! While I usually have to pin my drape suits, this one required no pinning at all. What you see is what it looks like on a human body.

(Usually, display forms make a jacket look boxier than it does when worn by a human being ... which is why it's customary to pin the jacket onto the form.)

scotrace said:
Great color - given that it is hard to even find trousers in a light grey flannel - wow.

And that's another reason to celebrate: I finally found those light grey flannel trousers I've been lusting after!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Isn't it gratifying to know that these things are still around, and haven't all decayed into nothingness? That we can still see them today, in living color, instead of just relying on old b/w films, magazines, and catalogs? That they can still be displayed, touched, and even worn?

Jay

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Isn't it gratifying to know that these things are still around, and haven't all decayed into nothingness? That we can still see them today, in living color, instead of just relying on old b/w films, magazines, and catalogs? That they can still be displayed, touched, and even worn?

If it wasn't for that, I don't think I'd have any desire to dress 50 years out of date. If I went by movies and stuff, I'd still assume teenagers in the 50s only wore white T-shirts, jeans and red jackets. Touching and wearing old clothes give you a very unique glimpse into the past.

StanleyVanBuren

Wow, that's one hell of a find.

I absolutely love the style. Fit looks like it would be great too (perhaps we should see it on you?) I even like the idea of off-color buttons... but, just, maybe not that color. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters