Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1933 Dated Stroller Suit

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The seller has 19 feedbacks... I assume it's as always with inexperienced or clueless sellers:
either they assume is trash worth next to nothing or they think "it's old - it must be worth a fortune".

P.S.: The ebay costums calculator is a hoot as well. 306 USD just for import fees. :p

The pieces aren't even intended to go together. Jacket (and presumably waistcoat) made by International Tailoring Co of Chicago, Il for a Mr P. Youngblood in 1932. Trousers made for one Mr C. H. Bliedung on July 7th 1933 by The Chas Polachek Company of Milwaukee, WI.

Both of these are quite well known makers. I've seen a lot of suits made by both of these, who I think were CMT houses catering to provincial small town tailors and such.

If I recall correctly clothing customs duty is charged at 9% ($76.50 including the $50 shipping). Then you pay the Parcel Force handling charge which used to be £12 ($20) or so. Your total cost now is $800 + $50 + $76.50 + $20 ($946.50). Then you pay VAT on this total, currently at 20% ($189.30). Grand total of $1135.80, of which $285.80 (£171.21) is duty and related charges.

Now, Customs and Excise being the scum that they are (I have no issue with import duties, just with the attempts by government agencies to knowingly scam the consumer into paying more than they owe), they tend to do their calculations on the assumption that every number mentioned above is in pounds sterling. You will therefore likely be charged £285.50 rather than the correct £171.21. While it's easy to get your money back from HMRC it take s along time.

Also, when you order a leather jacket remember that customs duty is not 9% but 4% for leather goods. They ALWAYS charge it at the full 9%, and you will need to claim back the overpay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner