Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 New York World's Fair cane chair

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This was just delivered to me here at work this morning. Woohoo!
I got it on Ebay, and I got it at what I consider a great price because the seller failed to say "World's Fair" in the name of the item. Anyhow, that's what I suspect. I've wanted a classic cane-chair for a long time and when I saw this I grabbed it. It will be conspicuously in use this summer at Governor's Island, and other such events. My only concern is that this slightly flimsy contraption won't be able to hold my 190 pounds of weight. I'll sit carefully.
WFcane1.jpg

WFcane2.jpg

WFcane3.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Thanks

I would hardly call myself a 1939 World's Fair collector, but my mother spent the summer of 1939 commuting between the Fair and Ebbetts Field, and always talked about it. And my great aunt gave me a 1939 World's Fair spoon (just like Archie Bunker!) when I was 4, which I still have. I just picked up a cute little Trylon and Perisphere lead paperweight on the 'Bay as well, so I'm starting to build up a little collection in spite of myself.
Yeah, I really like this thing. I just hope I don't sit down some day and make it go snap. lol

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I have a few 39WF items -- I recently purchased a tie bar with the Trylon and Perisphere on it -- but no cane chair. Very nice!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
A Sleeper, for sure!

Dear DH,
that would be a choice item in my book even WITHOUT the World's Fair connection: what condition!

It's yours, and you should use it any way you want...including sitting on it. But I have to say: if it was mine, I would consider having a good repro made. It doesn't look like it would be too hard a job....and the logo is almost pristine, and such problems as there are would be easily PhotoShopable...

Faith, if you DID decide to repro it...I imagine you'd cover your costs selling 'em to us! I know I'D buy one....

Enjoy it! Glad it found a good home...

"Skeet"

Foofoogal

Banned
I have a booklet and a cuff bracelet. That chair is a hoot. I would find a newer chair that type and keep that one in that condition. History you know.
It truly is amazing to see the graphics so good for the age. :eusa_clap

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, I'll definitely take it to Governor's Island, and any other outdoor picknicky type vintage event. It needs a rubber tip.
They make modern ones out of modern materials that I'm sure are stronger and more durable, and maybe I'll get one of those. But this one just exudes character.
If you Google Kan-o-chair, you'll se that it's considered a very classic design, eben withput the decal.
Anyway, as I said before, I couldn't be more tickled.

Foofoogal

Banned
Well, I am tickled for you. I have seen them before as a dealer. I didn't mean you shouldn't use your own chair but just treat it nice. lol ;)

DRead2

New in Town
Congratulations on your newest acquisition!
I have been doing some research on the Kan-o-seat for awhile and I thought that your might be interested in it's history. It was invented by Albin C. Johnson, of Belding, Mi. in 1932 and weighed only one pound 10 oz. It was "able to carry a tested load of 385 pounds."...... the brochure shows Mr. Johnson who weighed in at over 300, sitting on his invention! I don't know if I'd trust it now; it is 73 years old! The weight quote came from from a Kan-o-seat tri fold sales brochure. The US Patent application was filed on Aug 1, 1934 by Mr. Johnson for "chair" and was granted on May 21, 1935. The original US patent 2002118 shows a one-piece curved cane .... later adaptations were made with the distinctive "T" type grip. I am pondering making a new and updated version of that seat using modern materials......... I'll keep you posted on my project!
Good luck with it!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Don't know. But I know that when I sat on it on grass, the feet slowly sank into the turf. It has a brass ring that sort of holds the whole thing together. If that popped it would go blooey. I guess I'll mainly just strut around waving it subtly at people, hoping they'll notice how cool it is. :)

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I guess I'll have to post a pic of myself last Sunday at the Museum of the City of New York. They have a great exhibit covering all 6 of the Worlds Fairs and Expositions in the US inthe 1930s. and I was there with a group of fellow WF enthusiasts. I was sporting my new 1938 suit, recently purchased from Fastuni, my famous homburg with the 1938 theatre tickets tucked in the ribbon, and of course the good old Kan-o-seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24