Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mallory by Stetson - 1990

pdbollinger

New in Town
Well, I introduced myself back on 18 December of last year, and it has been a whirlwind year since that post. Moved from Germany to Texas, and then back to Germany, so the hat in question has been packed up most of this year.

Anyhow, I bought a brown felt Mallory by Stetson in October 1990 at the Georgia State Fair. Price at the time was $45, but the guy heard my parents tell me I didn't need a hat since I was heading to Parris Island a few days later, so he gave it to me for $15, if I recall. It is/was a size 7 1/4 and used to fit quite well. I would wear it horseback riding and it would stay put unless the horse was at a full gallop (very rare in the California desert). I would also go out dancing with it. At some point after leaving active duty in the mid-1990s, I put the hat up, and only got interested in wearing them again recently.

Now, the hat is snug. I know my head didn't get larger, so assume all the times wearing it and sweating in it caused shrinkage in the sweatband since I knew nothing about hat care back then. Can the hat be blocked back to a size to fit my head?
Pictures are not the best, but the liner says Mallory by Stetson. The sweatband is probably fake leather, or something composite from the late 80s (just my guess). The liner appears to be rayon or some other cheap material.

Looking for any information on this hat for resizing as well as whether this is a real Stetson, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Paul
Back view.jpg
Back view.jpg
Bow inside back of headband.jpg
Corwn detail and band.jpg
Front view.jpg
Mallory by Stetson liner.jpg
Mallory by Stetson stamp on headband.jpg
Pure Wool stamp on headband.jpg
Side view.jpg

Paul, your hat is pure wool, not even a wool blend. You can attempt to stretch it but it will soon return to it's current size & may continue to shrink even further. Not much you can do with it, perhaps stretch & store it over a block.

IMG_6264.JPG

IMG_6263.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner