Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's Banking Pictures

Kimberly

Practically Family
These are actual pictures I just scanned to save onto my hard drive. These pictures belong to a bank I currently work for. I saved them 3 years ago when they were cleaning out a back room and were going to throw them away!!!! :eek: There are a bunch of them in an old box and these are my favorites. They are now safe and sound in my office and will never be destroyed. ;)

The first one is very interesting. On the back of it it says.

"The first drive-in bank in New England opened by Worcester County National Bank in 1941."

FirstDrivethrough.jpg

Kimberly

Practically Family
I don't know much about the 3rd picture except that it's in downtown Worceseter, Massachusetts. Sorry for the bluriness, I tried to fix it but can't. [huh]

WarBonds.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks so much Kimberly, those are fabulous pictures!:D This former Worcester-ite (I'm a Clarkie) appreciates them. The time period that these are from, Worcester was in it's hay day. It was a beautiful thriving metropolis. I used to love driving through the parts of the Old City and looking at all of those gigantic houses, and I used to wonder about who lived there and what it was like in the city during the Golden Era. It's neat to see pictures of people who might have actually lived in those homes. Thanks!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Thanks so much Kimberly, those are fabulous pictures!:D This former Worcester-ite (I'm a Clarkie) appreciates them. The time period that these are from, Worcester was in it's hay day. It was a beautiful thriving metropolis. I used to love driving through the parts of the Old City and looking at all of those gigantic houses, and I used to wonder about who lived there and what it was like in the city during the Golden Era. It's neat to see pictures of people who might have actually lived in those homes. Thanks!

My pleasure. I live outside of Worcester now but grew up there my entire life. We still have some gorgeous homes and the three deckers of course. Clark is an excellent school!

Flivver

Practically Family
Thanks for the great pictures, Kimberly. I grew up in Worcester, too! I'm old enough to remember Worcester at the tail end of the Golden Era...the late 50s and early 60s when I was a child.

Before Worcester Center was built in the early 1970s, Downtown Worcester was wonderful. There were several large department stores like Denholm & McKay, Barnard's, Filene's and the C. T. Shearer Company. There were 5 & 10s, movie theaters, specialty shops too numerous to mention, and large headquarters buildings for several banks. It was always a treat to "go downtown".

Even though all of this is gone now, vivid memories of "how it was" still return whenever I'm in Downtown Worcester.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Kimberly said:
I saved them 3 years ago when they were cleaning out a back room and were going to throw them away!!!! :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Just the thought of that made my heart sink!!

They are great photos, especially the first one. I'm glad they went to a safe home :)

Kimberly

Practically Family
Flivver said:
Thanks for the great pictures, Kimberly. I grew up in Worcester, too! I'm old enough to remember Worcester at the tail end of the Golden Era...the late 50s and early 60s when I was a child.

Before Worcester Center was built in the early 1970s, Downtown Worcester was wonderful. There were several large department stores like Denholm & McKay, Barnard's, Filene's and the C. T. Shearer Company. There were 5 & 10s, movie theaters, specialty shops too numerous to mention, and large headquarters buildings for several banks. It was always a treat to "go downtown".

Even though all of this is gone now, vivid memories of "how it was" still return whenever I'm in Downtown Worcester.

I can only imagine!! I remember Filene's, Jordan Marsh, etc. but would have loved to have been around w/ the 5 and 10's. Downtown Worcester is totally depressing right now which is a shame. :(

Flivver

Practically Family
Prior to the building of Worcester Center, Filene's had a multi-floor store on Main Street, near Post Office Square. It was complete with a genuine Filene's Basement actually IN THE BASEMENT...unlike the second floor travesty that was Filene's Basement in Worcester Center.

I remember, as a kid, being "dragged" to the old Filene's basement by my mom, who would spend what seemed like an eternity shopping for clothes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy