Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's ? German leather cycling jacket bought today !

ukali1066

Practically Family
I'm visiting my parents and went into a vintage clothes shop today and snapped up a black leather jacket in JUST the style of the privately purchased civvie jackets Luftwaffe pilots used to wear, my size too.

Below the right chest pocket there's the ghost of a Luftwaffe eagle shape, but only one stitch hole...there's been an eagle attached somehow....maybe someone post war glued one on just to pretend ? There are no remnants of any glue though ....strange

The zips are all brass and made by ZIPP [ lightning mark on the main zip ] and all have the orginal leather pullers.

the poppers are all PRYM

It's got a great used patina and very slight wear

the plaid wool liner has a makers label: KLIMA LEDERBEKLEIDUNG [ KLIMA LEATHER CLOTHING ]

4 slanted exterior zipped pockets, all brass ZIPP

the buckle on the belt is marked: GUTOS PFORZHEIM D.B.P 822025

The leather is supple but VERY sturdy..it feels bulletproof !

Can anyone help nail it down to a particular period ? 40's/50's/60's ?

I'll post closeup pics when I get back home to my own camera
jkt3.jpg

jkt2.jpg

jkt1.jpg

jkt4.jpg

Image1-1.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Cool Find...

Can't wait to see the pictures!
Always awesome to find something like that fits!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Difficult to date, the style didn't change much. The quick release buckle is a nice feature - typical of many German jackets. If you see a back view of a jackets in wartime photos, they usually have yokes. Yours doesn't, but that may just be a styling feature. The lining is a bit bolder than the 40s German jackets I've seen, but again that could just be the maker's preference. I'm feeling post-war, but wouldn't nail my hat to the fence on it.

Great jacket anyway, so who cares???

Alan

ukali1066

Practically Family
Cheers fellas !

I paid £35 for it, that's about $69 U.S. for y'all over the water ;)

I'm going to get some Pecards antique stuff on it when I get home

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
You're very lucky- that would go for a small fortune on you-know-where...
Nice style, great condition, excellent price AND a fit.
'40s or '50s fro sure but some close-ups might help, re: ZIPPS and dating.

I think we now have an idea (although not conclusive)of what ZIPP zips looked like AFTER around 1944..., so we may be able to ID it as definitely after that date. Of course a jacket with post-1944 zips would surely not have been made before then... right..? But pre-1944 zips don't necessarily point to the jacket being made before than. It looks more '40s than the other "presumed '40s" example I've seen on this forum recently.
I would tend to err on the later '40s and '50s.

***We(I)seem to have quite a precisely defined mental image of what a '30s/'40s German MC/Pilot jacket SHOULD look like but this image is surely a caricature.

Excellent find!
Envy.

B
T

Nice find. I have a jacket from the 50s (ZIPP main zipper - extremely late pattern. Very "moderne". Only one i've ever seen - Harro pocket and cuff zippers) with a very similar Gutos Buckle. My buckle reads W. Germany. No DBP, though.

I suspect D.B.P. 822025 refers to "Deutcher Bundes Patent 822025". This would put it post-1949? Anyone better with German history? I believe the Federal Republic was set up in '49.

bk

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
BARON- check out this auction offering: # 180204521419
... more of the "proof" of WW2 flight jacket but some interesting information, amongst the blab. Silk lined sleeves... ha.

AND this one, while yer at it. # 180201806269 for the Gutos buckle, with DBP(or is that DRP)...
Although the buckle could be newer than the garment...
The ZIPP is DRP.

Oh, and this one.. # 170181953383, the one you pointed at before- 50* bids and 3 zeros.

And to quote him: "Flight Jacket manufactured partly with handjob"
So there!

Reichs.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
ukali1066 said:
...the buckle on the belt is marked: GUTOS PFORZHEIM D.B.P 822025

[/IMG]

WELL.
This mark and patent is the same as the one on the jacket at this auction;
# 180201806269 , the one I mentioned.
So DBP, which dates the buckle to post-49.
Ukali's jacket has a buckle with a post-49 patent, at least.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy