Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s Smoking Stand / Night Light

RetroToday

A-List Customer
I bought this c.1940s smoking stand a couple days ago and thought I'd share it here. My Grandmother bought a couple stands (new in the 1940s) just like this for her guests who smoked, but threw them out when I was young. I've been looking for one ever since, but they're always ridiculously priced, so I waited and found this.

Not perfect, it needs to be re-chromed, but I got it for a great price. Everything else is in good shape. Rusty on the surface in some spots, but luckily nothing has rusted completely through. It's missing one of the screw-on lids to the two ashtrays - but, I'm confident that I can find a replacement. I can't wait to have it re-chromed, have found a couple chroming places near me that do small batch jobs like this one.

I'm pretty sure that the other two deeper cans were meant to store filterless cigarettes, standing up on their ends.

A great feature of this stand is that it also doubles as a night light when you press a button on the bottom of the airplane - the translucent marbelized base lights up and so does the interior of the plane. I have to give it a good checkup and replace the old cords before I try turning it on. Still, very tempted to plug it in anyways.... It looks very much "at home" beside my old radios and other old stuff.
Even the propellers spin when flicked!

I haven't seen a maker's mark on it yet, but I believe it's a Canadian manufacturer. I heard these became very popular when Trans Canada Airlines (1937) and Canadian Pacific Airways (1942) started cross-Canada and International passenger flights.

You can see more pics of it in this Flickr photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremyhopkin/sets/72157605969178059/

2634910849_4ba9c9960a.jpg

2635729360_1e6015d673.jpg

2634908213_e8f5b1e4fa.jpg

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Mike in Seattle said:
That's about the coolest thing I have seen in a long time. I'd have to second the motion on the wells - one was probably for cigarettes, the smallest for matches.

Thanks for the coments everybody, very happy to share this here with all of you who appreciate this neat old stuff like I do. I have a couple of other 'discreet' looking chrome smoking stands but I really wanted one of these airplane ones.

btw, the two smaller wells are exactly the same size.

I unscrewed the plane fusilage from the wings to have a look at the fabric covered wiring inside, boy, they really rammed the wires in there. There is a light bulb and socket similar to an old Christmas tree bulb inside the front of the plane. The plane must get very warm (or hot) when switched on.
The on/off switch seems to be in good shape. I was surprised to find that it's a push-button switch, not a twist.

When I have a little more time I'll take the rest of the stand apart.

freebird

Practically Family
Wow! I've never ran across anything like that before. Please post some post-restoration pics as well.

I do have what's left of a desktop cigarette lighter, it is shaped like an airplane, but the propellers are broken. It may be from the same era.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've seen smoking stand lamps before, with various themes, but never one with an airplane. Very cool.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Took the lamp apart today (Saturday, July 5, 2008).
Before I did that I tested the lamp and it works well!!!

But, I also discovered that the other light in the marbelized base was removed at some point, only the light in the plane came on. I've marked all the parts and also drew a simple diagram to all of them, I know I'll get something mixed up if I don't.

Doesn't look like much when it's all in pieces, does it?
I'll post more pics here as it progresses.

2640068057_b557fc2e5a.jpg

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Wow I hadn't realized it was that long since I posted this thread, over a year and still no progress to tell of.
My airplane ashtray still lies in a box awaiting a re-plating and wiring job. :eek:

I searched for chrome shops in the area when this was first posted and didn't follow up because other projects and life in general just got in the way.

Poohbang, that's a wonderful astray, doesn't need a plane to be just as cool. :eusa_clap The marblized lighter is a very nice touch.

Foofoogal

Banned
You probably should look more into it. This would be a collectors piece in at least 4 different fields off the top of my head.
1. Airplane collectors.
2. Smoking collectors
3. Agate or slag glass collectors.
4. Art Deco collectors.
Very unique and these stands are going up in value.
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

PoohBang

Suspended
retro,

I've always wanted the plane as I've seen it in different versions over the years.

Have you tried just some 0000 steel wool? Does wonders on pitted chrome.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RetroToday said:
My airplane ashtray still lies in a box awaiting a re-plating and wiring job. :eek:

A sin. A crime. You must divest yourself of this item in order to redeem yourself of this sin.

I can give you an address in California whither you may sent it for divestment and redemption ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot