Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s Suit... finally

Andy Baillie

New in Town
I've been after an original suit with wide lapels like this one for years, but until now, I either haven't seen any that are my size, or that I can afford (although, I am still young I suppose!)

(albeit dated a year or so later than I would rather since I'm into Wartime Britain)
:)

Just a shame it didn’t come with the trousers, but my WW2 Naval Officer’s trousers go beautifully!

4273561147_a4c59e305e_b.jpg

4273561149_d7d56d5d5a_b.jpg

4273581799_c0023a03fc_b.jpg

Btw, ignore the date on the photos, I forgot to set the correct time and date! (dipstick)

Hooray, figured out how to post pictures (duh!)

billyspew

One Too Many
Andy Baillie said:
I've been after an original suit with wide lapels like this one for years, but until now, I either haven't seen any that are my size, or that I can afford (although, I am still young I suppose!)

(albeit dated a year or so later than I would rather since I'm into Wartime Britain)

Just a shame it didn’t come with the trousers, but my WW2 Naval Officer’s trousers go beautifully!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34791497@N07/4273561147/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34791497@N07/4273561149/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34791497@N07/4273581799/sizes/l/

Sorry, I don't appear able to post attachments other than URLs to my Flickr page

Andy, looks nice, interesting single button fastening.

Don't know why you don't see the URL on that page - that's where I get mine from?

Anyway if you go to the main page for that photo, there's a Share This link, if you then click on Grab The HTML.

In the HTML you'll see an img src=" bit and you'll need the whole section in quotes - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2783/4273561147_a4c59e305e.jpg

Then you can insert it using the yellow button with the mountain:
4273561147_a4c59e305e.jpg

Andy Baillie

New in Town
billyspew said:
Andy, looks nice, interesting single button fastening.

Don't know why you don't see the URL on that page - that's where I get mine from?

Anyway if you go to the main page for that photo, there's a Share This link, if you then click on Grab The HTML.

In the HTML you'll see an img src=" bit and you'll need the whole section in quotes - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2783/4273561147_a4c59e305e.jpg

Then you can insert it using the yellow button with the mountain:
4273561147_a4c59e305e.jpg

Thanks for the advice on the pictures, but just figured it out before I saw your reply,

Thanks for the nice comments,

I paid £25 GBP for the Jacket & Waistcoat
Everybody loves a bargain!

Btw, I don't seem to be able to view people's public profiles or PM anybody,
(mind you, am not very computer literate!)

Any help?

billyspew

One Too Many
Andy Baillie said:
Thanks for the advice on the pictures, but just figured it out before I saw your reply,

Thanks for the nice comments,

I paid £25 GBP for the Jacket & Waistcoat
Everybody loves a bargain!

Btw, I don't seem to be able to view people's public profiles or PM anybody,
(mind you, am not very computer literate!)

Any help?

Bargain.

You gotta wait until you're at 15-16 posts, it'll all open up then.

Andy Baillie

New in Town
Forgotten Man said:
White officer's trousers I'm guessing?

Great pair, love the lapels on that coat!

Black Fleet Air Arm trousers :)

(Lt-Cmdr's and lovely and warm wool! The WW2 reefer Jacket is a lot nicer than the modern ones made out of flimsy light-weight fabric!)

Cobden

Practically Family
With the black colour, single button fastening, the material (as it appears on my monitor, in any case) and peaked lapels make me think that this is a black lounge (US: stroller) suit, rather then a standard black suit, semiformal daywear - the daytime equivalent of black tie. Thus I believe the trousers that are to be worn with it aren't supposed to match, but instead are meant to be the striped morning suit type trousers - pairs from the 1930's are fairly easy to come across. These were commonly worn until the early 1970's (though this is undoubtedly 30's/40's) by bank staff, merchant bankers, senior civil servants, diplomats and politicians, usually with a bowler (US: derby) hat and umbrella, with a white shirt and a black or pearl grey tie, and this mode of dress is still worn (for some reason) by some hotel concierges and some Masonic Lodges. Think Captain Mainwaring when in his bank manager garb!

money-graphics-2008_871991a.jpg

Of course, if it matches the RN doeskin trousers, then with a pair of striped trousers you can have two suits with just a change of trousers.

Also, lucky you. Been looking for a black lounge for years!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Cobden said:
With the black colour, single button fastening, the material (as it appears on my monitor, in any case) and peaked lapels make me think that this is a black lounge (US: stroller) suit, rather then a standard black suit, semiformal daywear - the daytime equivalent of black tie. Thus I believe the trousers that are to be worn with it aren't supposed to match, but instead are meant to be the striped morning suit type trousers - pairs from the 1930's are fairly easy to come across. These were commonly worn until the early 1970's (though this is undoubtedly 30's/40's) by bank staff, merchant bankers, senior civil servants, diplomats and politicians, usually with a bowler (US: derby) hat and umbrella, with a white shirt and a black or pearl grey tie, and this mode of dress is still worn (for some reason) by some hotel concierges and some Masonic Lodges. Think Captain Mainwaring when in his bank manager garb!

Of course, if it matches the RN doeskin trousers, then with a pair of striped trousers you can have two suits with just a change of trousers.

Very good speculation. Isn't this how Winston Churchill dressed?

http://leaderfocus.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/sir-winston-churchill-posters.jpg

Andy Baillie

New in Town
Cobden said:

Brilliant speculation,

Quite probable too :)

Thanks for your input
:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic