Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s wardrobe essentials

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Last Page

shoes30.jpg

shoes31.jpg

shoes32.jpg

shoes33.jpg

shoes34.jpg

shoes35.jpg

LD

MissECP

New in Town
Lady Day, Wow! thanks for posting these, what a fantastic collection. I love the 'warm lined bootees', could really use a pair now its getting colder.

Dutchess

Familiar Face
I was looking at the beautiful pictures of the cuban-heeled shoes above. These are old shoes from Hungary I got from a friend. I think they might be from the 40's. Strong materials, great craftmanship and very comfortable. They even have little metal plates under the toes to protect the soles. I wear them a lot.

hpim3907.jpg

HPIM3915.jpg

Dutchess

Familiar Face
Lady Day said:
Amazing shoes!
They look late 30s to me, right at the turn like 38-42 ish.
I could be wrong, but they are splendid!

LD
Thank you! My friend didn't know how old they were and neither did I. She used to wear them a lot in the 70's. So you can imagine how incredible sturdy these shoes are. I think we should all go to Eastern Europe, because I suspect there are a lot of pre-war vintage treasures to be found there!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Oh the shopping sprees we could have with a Way-Back machine. ;)

I got a couple pair of black, basic shoes (though one's a peep-toe lace-up, similar to the Cuban heeled ones shown), when I was lucky enough to have a "your money's no good here" visit to a vintage shop who's elderly owner had passed away. Her grandson let me in for a last chance, with the caveat that everything I chose had to fit me, and I wasn't to take things to resell.
I'll have to get a few photos to share.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
*faints at those shoe ads and the price of them*

Absolutely, completely and utterly wonderful!!!!! I missed this before when I was hurridly getting ready for the baby to make her debute, but I'm so glad I found this thread again and saw this. I haven't been able to find a pair of shoes like these in the stores that didn't have too high/too thin of a heel, so I actually settled on a pair of mens oxfords that actually work quite well, especially as a practical pair of winter shoes.

Lenore

Practically Family
Helysoune said:
*faints at those shoe ads and the price of them*

Absolutely, completely and utterly wonderful!!!!! I missed this before when I was hurridly getting ready for the baby to make her debute, but I'm so glad I found this thread again and saw this. I haven't been able to find a pair of shoes like these in the stores that didn't have too high/too thin of a heel, so I actually settled on a pair of mens oxfords that actually work quite well, especially as a practical pair of winter shoes.

My practical winter shoes.

Shoes.jpg

Got them at DaddyOs.com. Very comfy.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I'd kill for the mary jane's from the advert and I'm pouting, no...make that super pouting, that I don't have a pair of "Fuzzy Wuzzys" on my tootsies right now!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I have one pair of these vintage perforated lace up shoes- they are just like in the ads LD posted! You can just see them in this photo (I usually don't include the shoes in the pics I have taken). They have those great original shoe laces too! I'll have to take a pic of them next to a modern counterpart that is very close, except for the laces and heel shape being completely different. The skirt section of this dress is too long for me, I'm going to get it shortened and have a belt made from the cut off piece.
364346693.jpg

zombi said:
LOVE the shoe pages -- want them all, obviously. just what I needed to see though as far as shoe references go!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:

Carey...you are adorable and top shelf, all the way! You always give such thought and express so much detail in your accessories. I love seeing your pics. Maybe you should show us your shoes more often!

:eek:fftopic: The pic of you in the RL jacket with the red snood and the hat is one of my favs! Love the snood/hat combo.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
metal studding on 1940s vintage dresses

I thought I'd throw these pics out here on this thread. I am fortunate to have found two vintage 1940s dresses with metal studs on them. They are all intact. I wonder how prevalent this was as an embellishment on ladies clothing... The style of these dresses is really wonderful. The cuts are very flattering to the female figure.

364650276.jpg
364649061.jpg

362595634.jpg

362688693.jpg

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I'm curious too.

My heart is in the 20's and early 30's but my hips are set in the 50's. As a result, my knowledge of anything 40's is vague and I'm easily confused by that eras silhouette. I did see one studded dress up for auction recently and while I wouldn't have bid, I guess I should have studied it more.

Glad you posted the second set of pics as I can admire the detail much better! Thanks!

Ms Sew-n-Sew

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the bump - I've really enjoyed reading this thread and have learnt a lot. Love the shoe scans Lady Day; what a fantastic resource and much appreciated!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner