Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s wardrobe essentials

zombi

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
Why can't you get blouses cut like those any more! I'd kill for a range of long sleeved 40s blouses! Thanks for scanning these LD, they are fab.
hear, hear!

Also love the nursing uniforms... wish I wore these instead of scrubs. Sigh.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Wouldn't hospitals and clinics have an entirely different air if workers dressed in tailored uniforms? *sigh* My husband has amassed a ton of scrubs during his rotations (so many I told him he now needs a 'scrubbard' to store them), but I like it best when he has to dress nicely under his white coat. A more delightful look when he comes home. ;)

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
basic 40's long-sleeved blouses

I third that motion! I've been looking for one of these for an age. The holy grail. If anything vintage even vaguely of the type comes up on Ebay, invariably there are "issues" like underarm yellowing with them.

I was hoping Big Beautiful Barbara Brown would sell them one of these days. There's a seller on Ebay, qbiffa I believe it was, who I had emailed about it as she had some short-sleeved versions of same which seemed quite nice. She said she'd email me if at any point she decided to do them in long sleeve.

zombi

A-List Customer
ThesFlishThngs said:
Wouldn't hospitals and clinics have an entirely different air if workers dressed in tailored uniforms? *sigh* My husband has amassed a ton of scrubs during his rotations (so many I told him he now needs a 'scrubbard' to store them), but I like it best when he has to dress nicely under his white coat. A more delightful look when he comes home. ;)
Sigh, they would, indeed. I may or may not be planning to wear some anyway :rolleyes:

There is at least one woman I know of who still wears an old uniform -- white stockings and all -- but she's the only one I've ever seen in our hospital who does. And I'm fairly certain hers isn't 40's, it's more like 70's! But nursing dresses didn't really change all that much, truth be told.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
bunnyb.gal said:
I third that motion! I've been looking for one of these for an age. The holy grail. If anything vintage even vaguely of the type comes up on Ebay, invariably there are "issues" like underarm yellowing with them.

I was hoping Big Beautiful Barbara Brown would sell them one of these days. There's a seller on Ebay, qbiffa I believe it was, who I had emailed about it as she had some short-sleeved versions of same which seemed quite nice. She said she'd email me if at any point she decided to do them in long sleeve.

Ooh, that's Lynne! I have bought a jumper from her at an event - didn't realise she was selling on Ebay, so thanks for that. No shirts up now though, and she's put her jumper prices up! Fair dos though, I thought they were too cheap to be true!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
It is so funny to me that my work wardrobe, basically consists of 40's style skirts and basic blouses...but when I dress like that I get weird looks from most everybody in the school office. I love the basic 40's look - like Lady Day pointed out earlier, but as plain as it is, it is over dressed for some people!

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
Cuddle duds?

LizzieMaine said:
suits.jpg

From the Sears Fall and Winter 1942 catalog.

Nobody that I know of today makes anything like this, but I'd love to find a pattern -- they'd be really cozy in a soft flannel.

What about silk thermal underwear? I wear the silk underwear I found in one of those Winter Silks catalogs. They are two piece (which helps with necessities) and various lengths (long/short sleeve and long/short legs). They are smooth under clothes and very comfy feeling. The added bonus is it protects your vintage from your skin oils.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
zombi said:
Sigh, they would, indeed. I may or may not be planning to wear some anyway :rolleyes:

There is at least one woman I know of who still wears an old uniform -- white stockings and all -- but she's the only one I've ever seen in our hospital who does. And I'm fairly certain hers isn't 40's, it's more like 70's! But nursing dresses didn't really change all that much, truth be told.

That's so cool; I bet she looks like nurse Dixie from "Emergency". ;) She's not at Baptist, is she? If so, I'd have my mr. keep an eye out for her.

zombi

A-List Customer
ThesFlishThngs said:
That's so cool; I bet she looks like nurse Dixie from "Emergency". ;) She's not at Baptist, is she? If so, I'd have my mr. keep an eye out for her.
She is at Baptist (As am I!!!) -- she works telemetry's night shift.

RE: silk underwear, I didn't know they made short sleeved & short legged ones! Clearly I need to keep my eye out for some of those. What a great solution!

Also, if I'm asking in the wrong thread point me elsewhere! But, what type of shoe did an everyday working lady wear in the 40's? Were they always heeled?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
zombi said:
Also, if I'm asking in the wrong thread point me elsewhere! But, what type of shoe did an everyday working lady wear in the 40's? Were they always heeled?

"Housewife oxfords" might have a heel up to an inch and a half or even two inches high, but would also usually have a broad toe and arch support features to make them feel flat. The "Clinic Coquettes" I wear for everyday are still built this way (they look pretty much the same as the shoes worn as part of the "Navy WAVE" outfit in the above link) and are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I'm on my feet a lot at work, and climb a lot of stairs and stepladders and such, and I can do it in these as easily as anyone else could do it in sneakers.

Clinic is the same company that makes the classic nurse's shoe, the "Pert," which has a rubber sole and heel very much like that on a saddle shoe -- not perfectly flat, but enough to give you a slight bit of lift, maybe half an inch or so.

Laced oxfords were the most common style of everyday housewife shoe, but you could also get them with a single button strap, a sort of mary-jane style. Some would be heavily perforated in ornate designs, like the image above, and this had a functional purpose as well as an ornamental one -- it kept busy feet a lot cooler.

In terms of vintage footwear, look especially for Enna Jettick brand shoes, which specialized in this type of practical, everyday footwear.

zombi

A-List Customer
wow -- thank you gals so much for the information. I have a bone disease & tendon shortening in one of my legs which makes heels difficult for me to wear, but low heels I am usually okay with. Super happy to hear this! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy