Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950 's German bike jacket

John Lever

One Too Many
Here are some photos of my 1950's bike jacket. I'm, not sure of the leather type, but it has the usual Velveton lining. It's a very small [34] size so my daughter will wear it to college. I hope to have a copy made from horsehide. The second jacket is a similar design, possibly from 1930's.

IMGP1302.jpg

IMGP1303.jpg

IMGP1301.jpg

IMGP0939.jpg

Luddite

One of the Regulars
SamMarlowPI said:
that is an awesome jacket...

More than awesome!

Simply perfect, been looking for one for years, in fact since I sold my last one (which, incidentally, I'm wearing in the poor scanned avatar I'm using atm). The lower one may be '20s. The short cut and leather buttons were popular in the Brooklands era.

Mind if I ask where you got 'em from?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great jackets, John. I know this is your area of expertise and they are as you say bike jackets rather than Luftwaffe private purchase jackets, as so many sellers only Ebay assert when advertising their jackets!

John Lever

One Too Many
Thanks for the compliments. The very ratty one was a gift from a German collector, to show me what to look for. The second I bought recently for £120 on ebay Germany. Both are too small but I plan to have copies made in size 44.
Andrew, I wish I were an expert, but alas I am not. I think Alan is the Guru here.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
John Lever said:
Both are too small but I plan to have copies made in size 44.
Please keep us posted on this process and who your source is! If they'll give you a cost break for two size 44s I may be interested in taking one off your hands. Gorgeous jacket indeed. Do you know anything about what it's called, or who made it? Is there a general term for the style? I've definitely got to keep a closer eye on German ebay...

John Lever

One Too Many
I think they are just Motorradlederjacke [!] The cafe racer type neck and the huge cross over wind flap are typical of the design. Some Tanker jackets or Panzerjacke were similar. The first jacket pictured has a label saying made in Dresden, formerly E. Germany. I bought it as being from the 50's but I have not the knowledge or proof to be certain. Alan is more knowledgeable on this so he might be able to shed more light.
I have the very tatty one being copied for me now, well it's in the queue anyway. But I don't expect it for a few weeks at least. For the moment I won't say who the work is being done by as I think they are doing me a bit of a favour. But I think I am correct to say that a member here is a tailor and will copy leather jackets, even from a photograph.
I have another one on the wall from Hanover, which is slightly different, but looks almost mint. Again very small, but I think you would have to wait a lifetime to find the design and the size of choice. So of makes sense to collect any jacket then decide which ones to have copied in the leather of choice.

John

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
Yeah, here's the stuff! Why bother with understated grace and elegance when you can have multiple, variable angled zippers, superfluous panels, obnoxious quilting, and velcro?!

HG1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy