Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950's Children Picture Books

Decodence

A-List Customer
I would like to see the finished product when you are done. I am a big advocate of traditional gender roles.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I'll have to dig around and see what I can find. I know I have one somewhere called When I Grow Up that explains how a white blond little boy can be an astronaut or a doctor or a pilot, and a little blonde girl can be a wife or nurse. What kind of information are you looking for, exactly?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
sweetfrancaise said:
I'll have to dig around and see what I can find. I know I have one somewhere called When I Grow Up that explains how a white blond little boy can be an astronaut or a doctor or a pilot, and a little blonde girl can be a wife or nurse. What kind of information are you looking for, exactly?

that would absolutely perfect!!!!! basically any kind of kids books that may teach a child to read or whatever and has illustrations that show the gender roles of the time...like "mother cooks dinner" and shows a mother in her dress and apron cooking or "father goes to work" and shows a father in a business suit...does that make sense? and honestly, i completely forgot about dick and jane books, thanks so much...you're all a help

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Nov. 7th...my college runs off of the 10 week quarter system so everything is crammed in and rushed...thanks so much all, your help is greatly appreciated...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I posted a pic somewhere here of a book I loved when I was little called "5 Jolly Brothers". Little brother lives with his big brothers, who all have different jobs and wear different hats. Not a female in sight.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i'd sure be willing to pay for shipping if you all were willing to send the books...if not, thanks so much for the support and ideas...

Flivver

Practically Family
When I was in elementary school in the 1950s, we used the "Dick and Jane" series of books to learn how to read. I believe they were published by Scott-Forseman in the 1940s and 1950s.

They contained stories about a boy named Dick, his sister Jane, their baby sister Sally and their *very* traditional Mom and Dad. A really good picture of the idealized 1950s family.

The text went something like this:

See Dick run.

Run, run, run

Captivating reading for first graders!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sam_Marlow_PI said:
i'd sure be willing to pay for shipping if you all were willing to send the books...if not, thanks so much for the support and ideas...

Have you tried your local library and inter-library loans?

Vintage Betty

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Have you tried your local library and inter-library loans?

Vintage Betty

oh definitely and i found some there, im just grabbing for anything i can get to make a great presentation :) you all are so helpful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou