Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1957 Plymouth buried in tulsa, OK - to be dug up!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Oh...I'm sittin here bawling...the car is REALLY rusty but she's gorgeous to my eyes. They found the gas, oil and what was left of the case of Schlitz in the trunk, and rusted, of course...can't start her either.

Now they just opened the time capsule and everything inside was PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flags, papers, commemorative plates, they are still going through it. Oh, I'm crying about this, and everyone is so happy!

More soon, I promise!!

RedHotRidinHood said:
Oh...I'm sittin here bawling...the car is REALLY rusty but she's gorgeous to my eyes. They found the gas, oil and what was left of the case of Schlitz in the trunk, and rusted, of course...can't start her either.

Now they just opened the time capsule and everything inside was PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flags, papers, commemorative plates, they are still going through it. Oh, I'm crying about this, and everyone is so happy!

More soon, I promise!!

Yep, it was pretty bad. I hope they decide to restore her. Time has taken its toll. :eusa_doh: :(

Regards,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It appears the car is as bad as the mind could imagine in a worst-case scenario. All of the stuff put into the car floated around from trunk to dash - beer cans from the trunk made it to the seats. Glove box completely gone, doors rusted shut, seats shot, all of it completely mud-soaked and sodden. It must have leaked in there pretty much right away.

BUT the time capsule contents survived, including the contest entries. Some lucky winner will drive away in a brand-new Ply... er...

RedHotRidinhood, is this cool or WHAT???!!!!

I have all the video captured.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
;)
Maj.Nick Danger said:
The video wasn't working for me. [huh] Too bad the car is trashed. :(

Yes, it is too bad...but the history behind the entire thing is just so neat! The idea was nutso in the first place, but because Tulsa felt they had to outdo OK City during the state's Golden Jubilee, they just went balls-out and did this big thing. It's just so indicative if the late 50s-"live big and dream big"! Seems to me alot of people in general these days could really benefit from that idea.

One of the co-chairs for Tulsarama was commentating as they opened the time capsule and got so excited when they pulled out the 46-star flag. I thought that was pretty damned cool! I would give anything to be able to help go through all the material. That's the antique dealer in me talking there, but it's not like they would sell any of it-that would be blasphemy! Can you tell I always wanted to be an historian? ;)

I am going to follow this story for awhile. See what happens to the car and who won! They actually found the paper population contest entries, rolled up in a piece of string. They thought it was on microfilm, but I guess not! I am sure we will know who won the old girl pretty soon.

Wish I could go to the sock hop tomorrow night. ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I wish so much I could have spent today in Tulsa. What an amazing experience! The excitement seemed to get the better of the event hosts. It quickly became a free-for-all of yanking stuff out of the car and the capsule. It'll be amazing if stuff doesn't turn up on ebay pretty quickly via someone's pocket.

Except for the entries, they didn't pull anything out of there that you couldn't find on Ebay on any given day - but the fact that it came from this extraordinary, symbolic piece of American exuberance makes every item beyond priceless.

Picture-7.jpg
30bury1.600.jpg

Picture-8.jpg
30bury2.600.jpg

Picture-10.jpg

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Yes-you are right about the stuff being common except for the circumstances under which they were found....and I was wincing a little when they were unfolding that old flag so fast! Luckily, even though that capsule was completely submerged at one point, it all looks brand new.

I can see that I will have to make a pilgrimage to Tulsa someday and see the artifacts on display!

I cannot believe that something of it will make it on to eBay-there's too much attention. And that would be such a crummy thing to do.

Thanks for sharing the video! :eusa_clap

Technonut

Practically Family
Very interesting. A disappointing ending though. :( At least it was not like The Mystery of Al Capone's Vault . (Anyone remember that Geraldo Rivera farce? :rolleyes: ) I mean at least the car was there... lol

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Yeah it was a little disappointing, when they pulled off the cover you could here everyone in the crowd kinda groan a little when they saw how rusted it was, but people still stayed upbeat, especially when they opened the capsule.

I'm going down to the car show in a couple of hours, going to have my friend bring his good digital camera and see if I can get some good pics, Ms. Belvedere is supposed to be on display in the center of all the cars....

I'll see if I can post some pics, I'm sure it is gonna be crazy down there.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Me too, me too! :D

Ok, she's rusted and not driveable, but just look at those lines. I mean, how can you NOT love a car that looks that good, even covered in rust? Those FINS!! I would give anything to have a car like that. Sure beats my stupid minivan, and pretty much any new car out there. They all look the same. I hate driving a CloneMobile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot