Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1957 Plymouth buried in tulsa, OK - to be dug up!

koopkooper

Practically Family
57 Plymouth buried for 50 years to be unearthed

Found this on Charles Phoenix website...charlesphoenix.com/destination-1957-plymouth-time-capsule/

go here for the link to pictures and youtube footage of the event
On June 16, 2007, a brand spankin’ new 1957 Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe will be unearthed after spending the last fifty years in a time capsule buried on the front lawn of the county courthouse in Tulsa, Oklahoma. And someone, whoever then, in 1957, guessed closest to what the population of Tulsa would be in 2007, will win the car. If they are no longer among us the car will be given to their next of kin.

This amazing time capsule was part of “Tulsarama,” the city’s celebration of Oklahoma’s semi-centennial. Among the other things in the time capsule is a bottle of tranquilizers and a case of beer. The big question is what condition will the car be in? Nobody knows. Will it be a rust bucket or pristine?

There is SO no way that I’m going to miss this event. I’ve been waiting for the unearthing of this car since I read a tiny article on it in a classic car magazine in 1989. It was one of those “gee, how-old-will-I-be-then?” moments. I promised myself I would be there no matter what. Well the time has come and I’m on my way. And I’ll be bloging my whole classic car road trip there beginning Sunday June 10th

Jay

Practically Family
I can't wait to see the pictures of this. Makes me wonder how the interior of the car will have aged with no use in 50 years. And the paint, yes. Did they still use heavy steel in 57? Cause I've seen some old cars that spent decades in drafty barns and the old enamel held up fine.

koopkooper

Practically Family
From what I have read they have gone to great lengths to ensure the car would be preserved. I'd be surprised if it started though. Engine could be seized, certainly brakes will be too....but if they drained the oil and lubricated the parts well prior to sealing who knows.
I just hope whoever wins the car understands what they have on their hands.

Sure would be worth a fortune and I would suggest that it is best kept in a museum as a "perfect" example of American History. That said, it would be wonderful to drive a brand new 57 Plymouth to see how they handled when first off the factory floor.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
koopkooper said:
Sure would be worth a fortune and I would suggest that it is best kept in a museum as a "perfect" example of American History. That said, it would be wonderful to drive a brand new 57 Plymouth to see how they handled when first off the factory floor.
My dad had a '57 Dodge, which he handed down to my brother. It handled like an aircraft carrier. lol

Jay said:
I can't wait to see the pictures of this. Makes me wonder how the interior of the car will have aged with no use in 50 years. And the paint, yes. Did they still use heavy steel in 57? Cause I've seen some old cars that spent decades in drafty barns and the old enamel held up fine.

They used heavy steel and lead based paint. It will be fine---no doubt. :D

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Oh man...I just watched a short video on the Tulsa World site, and the vault was full of water...the unearthing is only 2 days away...I think you will be able to watch it online. I am getting excited about this, but I am HOPING so hard that she is ok!!!

carter

I'll Lock Up
I've been to Tulsa exactly once, to rescue an Aussie/German Shepherd mixed breed puppy. Now he's a 60+ load and hates to ride in anything on wheels. A big ol' wuss! Anyway, if anyone from the DFW area is considering driving to Tulsa for the unearthing and needs/wants a co-pilot, please contact me at 214-354-5132. I'm too old to be dangerous to anyone but myself.

bncarter@sbcglobal.net

" 'Listen Ernie,' he said, 'you better lay low for a while. I should have warned you - that was Legs Diamond's girl, and he's due back in town at five o'clock.' "
Ernest Hemingway - as told to A.E. Hotchner

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
I am right here in Tulsa town!

Hi fellas,

I'm right here in green country and I'm excited as well as they'll unveil this on Friday at the Tulsa Convention Center. Tickets are at $5 and $10 but were all soldout in two days! I was planning to attend the unveiling but, oh well. I'll just watch the live broadcast on KOTV.

Gilbey

http://www.kotv.com/special/buried-car/

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
RedHotRidinHood said:
Oh man...I just watched a short video on the Tulsa World site, and the vault was full of water...the unearthing is only 2 days away...I think you will be able to watch it online. I am getting excited about this, but I am HOPING so hard that she is ok!!!

I can't find the video? So the vault is flooded?

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
They would have been better off sticking the car under a couple of tarps in the back of an old barn. :eusa_doh:

Back then time capsules just weren’t what they are today. Time capsule technology has really come a long way in the last 50 years. Anything put in one now should last for centuries.

Edit:
I was writing that second part as a joke, then I found this web site:

http://www.heritagetimecapsules.com/?gclid=CKvPh7213IwCFQymQQodyQ7gjw

go fig.:p

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
As part of the "Tulsarama!" festivities, citizens of Tulsa were asked to guess what the population of Tulsa would be in the year 2007. The guesses were then recorded on microfilm and sealed in a steel container buried with the car. When the car and artifacts are excavated, the person whose guess is closest to Tulsa's 2007 population is to be awarded the Belvedere.
The person with the closest guess has the honor of paying any fees associated with hauling away and properly disposing of this rusted pile of scrap metal. Congratulations!:eusa_clap

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Has anyone found any good coverage? Do they know what happened? Looks like the "vault" failed quickly and has been flooding for ages. The rust from the car appears to have migrated to the walls as the water level raised and lowered.

Did you see the plans? Boyd Coddginton will be there tomorrow night to try to start the car. Bwuahahahaha! :eusa_doh:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
LizzieMaine said:

Oh my gosh! This makes the Tulsa boys look like they all got tanked on a Friday night and stuck a car in a leaky wet box as a joke! lol

DSC08705.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24